My heart is in pieces :(
Mar 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #76 of 98
There are several types of RAID. Fault tolerant RAID is designed to protect you from a failure of a single disk. In a mirror set (RAID1), for example, data is mirrored (duplicated) from one disk to another. If the first disk fails, the second disk takes over. RAID0 is a simple stripe set with no fault tolerance. If a disk in a stripe set fails then all data on the RAID is lost.

This also means that if you accidentally delete files on your mirror set, then the deletions are also mirrored. If you find that files were accidentally deleted you cannot revert to the mirrored disk to recover them like you could with a backup, because the deleted files are also removed from the mirror. There are other types of fault tolerant RAID, but the gist is the same. None of them will protect you from accidental deletions or file corruption.

Think of it this way...a backup is preferably stored on media that is independent of the source disk they were created from. No matter what happens to the source disk, the backups are not affected. Naturally, you can create a backup of files and store it on the same disk as the source. This will protect you from accidental file deletions, but it will not protect you from a total loss of your disk or an accidental format of that disk.

For some, just having a backup on independent media doesn't go far enough. It all depends on the value of the data being protected. In my case, I have a dedicated backup server on my network, which creates backups to a 2TB disk array. When the backup to disk job completes a duplicate of that backup set is made to tape for offsite rotation. So even if my house were to burn down, I could recall my offsite tape and restore all of my data to the last backup (the prior evening). I don't think the typical home user needs to go to these lengths. My brother asked me to help him with a simple backup solution that had minimal cost but would protect his data (financial data and tax returns mostly). I set him up with an external USB 2.0 hard disk and Norton Ghost (though I don't recommend Ghost if you are running Vista x64 due to a compatibility problem.) For my brother, who is not very computer savvy, Ghost is very simple to use, can run scheduled backups, and has system tray notification on the status of your backups and the system. I am sure there are more feature-rich desktop backup solutions out there, but this one works well for my brother.

--Jerome

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #77 of 98
Great explanation Jerome! Couldn't have explained it any better myself
smily_headphones1.gif

I've personally used both Ghost and True Image and prefer True Image.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #78 of 98
Either is a good choice for those not particularly tech savvy.

I have online backup as well as having all of my important docs backed up on my 3 hard drives. My father had a similar situation as the OP only the disk had literally "cooked" itself so there was very little that could be recovered.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #79 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either is a good choice for those not particularly tech savvy.

I have online backup as well as having all of my important docs backed up on my 3 hard drives. My father had a similar situation as the OP only the disk had literally "cooked" itself so there was very little that could be recovered.

I like your new Avatar, Cute.
wink_face.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #81 of 98
Im so sorry about your loss, and it really sucks that you didn't know hardrives fail. This is one of my worst nightmares, I bought 2 externals that mirror one another and back up my computer HD just so I'll never have to experience this.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #82 of 98
Quote:

^Thanks,

It didn't seem right to have my old avatar anymore since I haven't had those headphones for a while. Plus these things are comically huge.

I thought your old avatar was your little girl as some Head-Fi'ers do because the H/P's were so big.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #84 of 98
Quote:

^Thanks,

It didn't seem right to have my old avatar anymore since I haven't had those headphones for a while. Plus these things are comically huge.

2000's?

Can you compare them to the 650? Or just a general sound signature?

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #85 of 98
Nope, these are the Sony MDR-CD1000's.
They were the predecessor to the MDR-CD3000. They share the same drivers as the MDR-CD3000's, but use the earlier 750/850/950 housing which only differed by the fact that the cups are one piece rather than two.

As far as the D2000 vs. HD650, I prefer the D2000 once modded. The HD650 seem to lack some texture, still have the sennheiser veil, and never seem to have enough sparkle to the top end for me even with a silver cable. The HD650 vs. stock D2000 in terms of detail, the HD650 wins and gives you more amp choices. *Granted, this is only from experience at various meets over the past year and have not had the chance to do a direct A/B comparison.* On the 21st, I did spend quite a few hours with the HD650 which had a silver aftermarket cable on it which was the best I have heard it sound.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #86 of 98
thanks you everyone for your informations.

I am overwhelmed by your positive replies and support. I now learn to backup. But a bit too late in my case. I am using a computer friend and my computer is still dead as I try to save funds to repaire the drive.

also thanks you to jsaliga who is very connaisseur in harddrives and who helped me understand more the problem and solution.

only thing left for me I can do myelf id the freezer trick..I will use Boomy advice and put that in a towel and zipbag.

if you have recomendations for a recovery companie in Canada I would appreciate it. I found something called CBL they do free estimated.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again everyone.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #87 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigress /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found something called CBL they do free estimated.

Yes, CBL is one of the leaders in the data recovery services business. The company was profiled on The Discovery Channel some time ago.

jcv1rKQCgCc

Good luck!

--Jerome

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #88 of 98
Quote:

Nope, these are the Sony MDR-CD1000's.
They were the predecessor to the MDR-CD3000. They share the same drivers as the MDR-CD3000's, but use the earlier 750/850/950 housing which only differed by the fact that the cups are one piece rather than two.

As far as the D2000 vs. HD650, I prefer the D2000 once modded. The HD650 seem to lack some texture, still have the sennheiser veil, and never seem to have enough sparkle to the top end for me even with a silver cable. The HD650 vs. stock D2000 in terms of detail, the HD650 wins and gives you more amp choices. *Granted, this is only from experience at various meets over the past year and have not had the chance to do a direct A/B comparison.* On the 21st, I did spend quite a few hours with the HD650 which had a silver aftermarket cable on it which was the best I have heard it sound.

Duh, Sony's Frank, SONY'S!!! I always had a fetish for the AT 2000's but never pulled the trigger because there are so many different reviews, maybe I will get a listen at the DC meet comming up.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back