My headphone got burned up by a Schiit Heresy amplifier
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hottyson

Headphoneus Supremus
I did not realize that others were also having problems but another Head-fi member posted a link to others having problems with Schiit Heresy amplifiers in another forum. I cannot post that link since the last time I posted a link to said forum, they deleted my post. So, I don't want to risk being censored here.
IMG_9031.jpg

IMG_9090.jpg
I own about fifty amplifiers and about the same amount of headphones. I am an avid gearhead that owns lots of audio gear. Of my headphone amplifiers six are Schiit headphone amplifiers and I also own four Schiit DACs.
About six months ago in December 2020 I had my Schiit Heresy go into protection with two headphones. I was plugging various headphones between $100 headphone amps so that I could share online what were the best amp/headphone combinations. The headphones were brand new and the Schiit Heresy was B-stock I ordered from Schiit. The two headphones that sent the Schiit Heresy into protection mode were OneOdio Pro-50 and a Fostex T-50RP I am certain that it was due to ESD as I was getting constant electric shocks from all of my equipment during the cold months here in the Las Vegas, NV desert.
The OneOdio Pro-50 had one driver burn out on one side. The Fostex T-50RP survived. Since this burnup, I have not dared to switch headphones while the Schiit Heresy is powered on because I fear that it might destroy another headphone. I power off the amp and switch headphones then power up again. Mostly the amp has sat unused as I get stressed out when using it instead of enjoying it.
I contacted Schiit to see if they could take it back and let me buy a better amp. I would rather get a Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 so I don't have to worry about my headphones burning up. Schiit will not just let me upgrade because I purchased B-stock. It states on the Schiit B-stock page "There are no trade-ups. If you know what you want, that’s great." However, I was not aware when I purchased the amp that it destroyed and burned up headphones. So, they really should take it back. Schiit responded that they would "need to take a look at it in service first before we can look into any possible refund options."
I am already out $110.24 from my initial purchase and now I will lose another $20 shipping it to Schiit and I might not even get a $89 credit towards purchasing another product. Does that sound like a good deal to you? I am not a happy customer, and this is a raw deal.

Update: Schiit HAS paid for my shipping the amplifier back to them and a refund IS on it’s way back to me. I take back all that I said about their customer service.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 4
That sounds like such a bummer. Sorry to read about it. Do you know if the B-stock item had a flaw of some kind or is it a general design flaw?

Are all version of the Heresy amp protected from amplifying ESD much like the Topping L30 problem?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 4
That sounds like such a bummer. Sorry to read about it. Do you know if the B-stock item had a flaw of some kind or is it a general design flaw?

Are all version of the Heresy amp protected from amplifying ESD much like the Topping L30 problem?
Thank you very much for the kind sympathy.

To answer your questions, I don't know enough about the circuit to know if it were a flaw or a general design flaw. This was however a new design for Schiit, and ten years ago they had new designs fry headphones. Jason addressed it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...robable-start-up.701900/page-52#post-10463052

I don't know about the protection built into the Heresy. However, someone who understands electronics, replied to my situation with;
"Folks considering the Magni3+ or Heresy should consider buying the IEMagni as this has DC protection (which I have repeatedly complained about why adding $1.- in components wasn't done). It might still blow and still make a loud 'pop' in your headphone but it will probably survive without damage." So, it would seem that Schiit does have some extra protection in their new IEMagni amplifier that the Heresy does not.

I don't know if I want to take the risk anymore with cheap headphone amplifiers. Eight of my amplifiers are cheap $100 amplifiers, including a Heresy, Magni 3plus, and a Magni 3. I think I am going to sell all of my $100 amplifiers off because I don't want to burn anymore headphones up. Plus I have gotten into more expensive headphones this year which would make a headphone burn up even more catastrophic if it were to happen to me again.

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 4
Update: Schiit HAS paid for my return of the Magni Heresy amp and said that I shall be getting a FULL refund.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back