My headphone Adventure with iRiver IFP
Jan 6, 2005 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Charlie87

Head-Fier
So I have the iFP-795, and absolutely love the general sound quality of it, the colored music is a complete enjoyment to my ears, that is compared to my buddies iPod ( I like the iPod sound, its just different than the iRiver)

In my stock buds that came with the iRiver, the right ear started going on me, deciding I wanted to try out some pairs, I picked up the $12 pair on panasonic buds at CC... They suck, the absolutley stripped the iRiver player of warmth, and threw any soundstage in the garbage, it felt like I was a mile away from screaming music.

I need new headphones basically, I really do enjoy warm music, because my collection sounds awesome with warmth...I am a bit of a bass head too, nothing overboard, but I like a lot. With the bass, I also like a good amount of clarity and detail, I don't need Etymotic detail but want some of course...I like warm deep music but I do not want a shrill high that gives me a headache

After much researching I thought the Sharp MD-33 was the fone... but its sad I have to let them go becuase of the ridiculously long cord I hear of

Amazon has the EX51LP for $25, are these worth the price?

I hear good things about the Koss clip ons

Any senn buds really nice in my requirments?

I really am looking for a bud or canalphone.

This will be for portable use and am willing to buy a couple pairs, my price range is ~$40-50....But I it would be awesome if I could pick up a cheap good pair

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 19
i have an ipod but i know how you feel! I am gonna buy the ex71 from ecost for 32$. I also like bass and i have heard that they are extremely comfortable and provide very good isolation for the price. For the sharps i have heard that they are comparable if not better than the ex71 with less bass but a more balanced sound, but they do not provide as good of isolation as the ex71. The ex51 are pretty much the same i have heard except for cosmetically, as they have the chrome on them and they come in white, which is the main reason i am spending the extra 7$ on them instead of the ex51. If you dont like the long cord then i would def go with the sony's.

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 19
Commando I read you have or had both pairs. I am not too god with a solder and taking solder to a new product seems weird to me, and would void any type of warranty if something perhaps goes wrong.

1.....Two questions...Since I believe the headphones that came with my player are Senn mx400, or 500, is the EX51 better than the mx400?

2....What is the main difference you notice between the ex51 and md33

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 19
lol, i thought ya did, so then nvm....a more fair quesiton perhaps, are the ex51 better than most regular buds u have heard..

Thats what I am trying to get, better than my good buds that came with the player

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 19
A little off the topic, But I saw the Sennheiser HD497 at Circuit City for $35...would this be a good gaming/music headphone for general computer use? I am just asking your basic knowledge of the fone

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 19
The MD33s with extension is only 5 feet long. It's not like it's 10 or anything.

My E3c cord is five feet long. I am so glad of its length as opposed to when I had other phones with shorter cords. Yeah, there's more wire to deal with, but I'm not constantly yanking the cord out of the player if I put it in a hip pocket instead of a normal pocket or whatever.

MD33 is a good phone for the money. Check them out, they're so cheap it's not like you lose much. If I was harder on portable phones than I am, I'd be using those and not $140 E3cs.

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I don't have EX51, just EX71, but they're meant to sound the same. Yes, they're a good step up from buds that come with most players.

Are the EX71 pretty good for listening, meaning not harsh on the ears, pretty smooth in sound?

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 19
I got the md33s about 3 months ago, to me they sound sweet, however focusing on actual use rather than sound, there are some pretty irritating things about them unmodded.

The cable is long, as everyone suggests. By itself, i wouldnt really care about this, but its also a bit heavy because of the plug adapter (4 pole? to 3?). The plug adapter thingo sits at an uncomfortable level so that if you had a mp3 player in your pocket, the adapter thingo will dangle out in the air and as you walk it drags the earphone from your ear. So basically the seal keeps loosening and you have to push the earphone back in place every like few minutes.

Maybe im just doing it wrong, but even putting it under my shirt doesnt help because it has really loud microphonics, and the cable gets caught in your shirt anyway and tugs the earphones out just as much, if not more.

Maybe other md33 owners have devised ways of getting around this annoyance (i heard someone mention shirt clips?) but as soon as i find someone with a solder set, im definitely going to mod them cos the extension as it is now, drives me crazy at times.

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 19
Those iriver buds have less clearity in the mids and highs. They are darker. Yes the iriver buds do have a tad bit more bass, or maybe that's how it sound compared to the mx400s that give you better midrange and treble. The iriver buds muffle the mids and highs. (yes I've heard them both. I A/Bed then a while ago.)
I suggest you get the MX400. Or try Koss clip-ons. Never heard the latter but they are supposed to be good.

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 19
Someone on Misticrier, said mine were a Cresyn variety...My headphones are branded iriver, but look nothing like the Senn MX-300 thru MX 550, I have yet to see a picture of the MX200....But Since I do really like the buds, I ordered a pair of MX400 from Newegg. I really do not know if the in ear canalphones are meant for me, I am constantly taking fones off, and it would seem a hassle to find a seal over and over again, but then again am probably wrong. I will explore buds for a bit

btw, I picked up Radio Shack bud covers "foamies" because of their talked about 'thickness' many users love that may add bass to a bud...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back