My Head is Too Small!!!
Jul 21, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

schmoo

New Head-Fier
As mentioned in an earlier thread, I actually found a new local retailer that had one set of ATH-AD700, some Grados, and a DT-880 in stock.

I was amazed to find that that I had the Grados and the DT-880s at their smallest setting, and that the AD700 didn't even fit me.

Obviously, this totally kills off the ADXXXX series for me, and points me closer to Beyers.

Despite its demands for an amp, I remain intrigued by the K701. However, I'm now worried that it might not fit my tiny noggin'.

Does anyone have the K701 and a Grado/ADXXXX/Beyer to compare fit? For example, if you have a friend with a smaller head and they fit the Grado on virtually its tighest setting, does the K701 fit them, too? Does it fit them well, good and grippy?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 17
I posted about this in another thread. But this is a solution for in-home use only... it looks rather silly :p I'd like to cut out a sponge or something and place it underneath the band some time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie
The only comfort problem I have with the GS-1000 is that the minimum head band height is a little too big for me. But I do have a small head and short hair. To resolve that, I've just been putting a tuque (not wearing it) underneath the band to get some height under there. I haven't had any problems with them squishing my ears so long as I am doing that.

Jul 21, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks Doogie, but I don't think I could stomach such a solution after paying for something like a K701, particularly given that the Beyers fit.

Can anyone comment on the smallest head that the K701 can fit comfortably?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Hey! I have the same problem (a small head, that is). I once tried out a pair of 701s and they fit quite well as they are not very heavy or big.

Cheers
Klaus

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 17
Wirbeltier,

Noticed that your sig mentions AD2000 on the way. Have you received them yet? How do they fit?

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 17
Hey schmoo! No, not yet
mad.gif
I will tell how they fit when I receive them. But from what I have read, they should fit quite good, because some complained about 'clamping force' duh!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 17
Hi Schmoo, I too have a small head and the phones that fit me best are Senns (600 and 650, PX100 and PX200, HD280 and 25-1) and Beyers (990, 880, 250-80, 931, 831, 531--I've tried all of these). I have tried various AKG's and they are just too big, I've had to return them all. HOWEVER, the 701's seem to have a tighter clamping force, at least the ones I bought, and I have not had to return them because of sliding down like I did the others. They have a light pressure on the velour pads which is comfortable and allows them to stay in place if I remain seated. Can't walk around with them or anything, but they are too big for that anyway. I'd say try 'em if you plan to stay stationary while listening.

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 17
sc53,

Very helpful.

With the K701.... if the cups are perfectly in place around your ears, does the headband rest where it should or is it floating above your skull?

Currently thinking I'll order the K701 and DT 880 from Headroom and decide on fit and sound on my own equipment at home.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 17
Hi Schmoo, I just put on the 701's while looking in the mirror and the leather headband is just touching my scalp when the cups are perfectly centered on my ears. The metal rods are of course a couple of inches above, making me look even more like a space alien than usual. If you get the 701's make sure you don't do anything to stretch out the headband! These phones are so light that they seem to keep their place over the ears much better than the other heavier AKG's I tried.
BTW I am female with short hair and size 6.5 hat I think.
lambda.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks SC!

Sounds like they'll be worth a try.

Can't find anyone that has the K701 locally, so the current plan is to order the DT880 and the K701 from Headroom and see which wins.

340smile.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 17
I had exactly this problem w/the 701s. I didn't like the way the cans (in particular) sat on my ears; they were somewhat loose and sat uneven. I have a relatively small head (size 7 fitted hat) and I like the headphones to sit taut. That said, my HD650s fit perfectly for me and some say these fit too tightly.

I believe it's the way that the headband (and headband supports) are designed, in that if I squeezed the headband supports together, I could get the cans to fit properly against my ears. The way AKG designed the headband and the tightening mechanism(s) doesn't work well w/my head "shape".

They were "liveable" and not completely uncomfortable, but noticably less than optimum. I will note that it wasn't the end-all in the decision not to keep them (I could have lived w/the fit)...

Good call, in just ordering them to try them out...

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 17
I also have this problem. With Grado's 2 different solutions have worked. The Beyer headband added to the SR series looks ok & makes them fit my head just fine. For the RS Series I order a Senn replacement & velcro'd it to the inside of the RS1's. It looks pretty inconspicuous & lets them sit right on my head.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 17
The DT880 and the K701 arrived tonight.

Both fit, but while I'm at extreme of the K701's fit, I'm farther into the DT880's range.

Both bother my ear lobes, which are fleshy and longer than normal (wife says there "suckable").
lambda.gif

Setting them up for burn in for a week minimum and final decisions! Eek.

Will update on fit as I go.

N

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmoo
Both bother my ear lobes, which are fleshy and longer than normal (wife says there "suckable").
lambda.gif

TMI
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back