My HE-400's broke, where to go from here?
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

razminr11

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

My OG HiFiMan HE-400's that I've had for like 9 years finally gave up on me. I took them off a bit too quickly and the headband broke, sadly. I tried to get a replacement in the hybrid headband from HiFiMan only to find out it wasn't compatible when I tried to install it. In doing that I ended up stripping the screws, so the headband's barely hanging on as it is, with some help from superglue. Regardless, I've loved the sound signature of the HE-400's, and I'd like to get something that's a definite upgrade from them. After some research, I did order a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Homes from Amazon, just to try out a different kind of sound and maybe return them if I didn't like 'em, but those never arrived due to bad weather. Now with the refund from that order, I'm in the market for a new pair of properly researched headphones, and possibly an upgraded AMP/DAC setup if it's needed.

My current setup:

-AMP/DAC: Fiio E17.
-Headphones: HiFiMan HE-400.
-Source: Spotify Premium out of my computer.
-Listening environment: At home, so I'm totally fine with open-back or closed-back headphones.
-Genres: A mix of everything, but quite a lot of Rock, Alternative, Electronic, and Ska (specifically Streetlight Manifesto, Gus Dapperton, Glass Animals, Tonight Alive, Sybreed, Glitch Mob, Apashe, Future Islands, Car Seat Headrest, Gorillaz, and Sisters of Mercy).
-Budget: $500-$600, possibly just a tad more. This is for the entire setup btw, so if I were to get a new AMP and DAC along with the headphones, it'd need to fit this budget.

Currently Considering (headphones):
-Beyerdynamic Amiron Home.
-Beyerdynamic DT1990.
-HiFiMan Sundara (kinda leery of buying from HiFiMan again, just because of what I've been hearing about their build quality and QC).
-Sennheiser HD650/HD600 (would these really be much of an upgrade over the HE-400? Also how are the Massdrop variations, like the HD6XX? And would my E17 be good enough to drive them?).
-Audeze LCD-1 (The LCD-3's are one of my dream endgame setups, but idk if my E17 will be good enough for higher-end planars).

Currently Considering (AMP/DAC):
-Schiit Magni Heresy+Modi 3.
-Objective2+ODAC.
-Keep using the E17's DAC and just get a new AMP.
-Keep using the E17.

And of course, any other options you guys can think of. I'm open to trying anything in terms of headphones and AMP/DAC combos.

Any help y'all can provide would be super appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I have HE400i's and HD6XX's. Sometimes I prefer one, other times the other. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a set of HiFiman Ananda's for $500 on the classified's here. They are a whole level in my opinion above either of the other headphones plus they are easier to drive than either of them. I drive them with a Liquid Platinum amp (that the volume is set at less than half what's needed for the other two to achieve the same loudness) with a massdrop SDAC using Itunes and Amazon prime music.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 5
I have HE400i's and HD6XX's. Sometimes I prefer one, other times the other. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a set of HiFiman Ananda's for $500 on the classified's here. They are a whole level in my opinion above either of the other headphones plus they are easier to drive than either of them. I drive them with a Liquid Platinum amp (that the volume is set at less than half what's needed for the other two to achieve the same loudness) with a massdrop SDAC using Itunes and Amazon prime music.
Oooh, the Ananda's do look really nice. It seems like they go for a good price used (I'm seeing some for ~$550 on eBay right now), do you think my E17's would have any trouble driving them? Or should I plan on upgrading my AMP/DAC setup eventually if I go with the Ananda?

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Looking at the specs of the Ananda they don't seem that difficult to drive. And HiFiMan claims you can easily power them of your smartphone. I think you'll be fine with your E17. And maybe later you can pick up a better amp and dac. Also 550 for a pair of Ananda seems like a good deal, given that their current new price is 699.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I ordered a pair of open box Ananda from HiFiMan for $570 (with a discount code). I'm gonna give them a try, compare them to my HE-400, and if the Amiron Homes come in I'll try those too. And then I'll return any I don't like, but I have high hopes for the Ananda. Plus if they're not super great with my E17 (though I'm sure they will be), I can save up for a Schiit stack sometime in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back