My HD800 Impressions, Part 2
Nov 21, 2009 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
I listened to The Beatles' White Album (2009 Remaster) and "Blackbird" was so incredible that I listened to the track twice. Then I jumped over to the Rubber Soul remaster for "Michelle" and it was amazing also. Then I put on Joni Mitchell "Ladies Of The Canyon" and it was spectacular, especially the electric piano in "Woodstock" and the clarinet in "For Free". I need to get around to Leo Kottke's "6 & 12 String Guitar" to truly appreciate the acoustic guitar music. So many albums... so little time.

I am determined not to jump from track to track and instead listen to whole albums patiently because I have my entire life left to explore my collection with these phones. However, the clarity and soundstage of the softer music & prominent vocals from last night did sidetrack me from this good intention for a little while.

Two nights ago, I decided to try some live rock at reasonably high volume. I was afraid that my rig might not drive the HD800 well at the volume that I desired. But actually, it was up to the task and then some. I chose Lou Reed's "Rock and Roll Animal" and it was awesome to say the least. I rested my ears afterwards because I got a little carried away with the volume. It was so clean that I didn't know exactly when to stop.

Another album that really impressed me this week was Kooper/Bloomfield/Stills "Super Session". It is a very bright album and can be painful for me on some headphones. The HD800 was not harsh or sibilant but still presented the sound with the bright signature that I was expecting. So the album sounded great but the headphone didn't alter the sound to get there. Wonderful!

I am now wondering about the common opinion that the HD800 sounds bad on poor recordings. I will have more time this weekend, and I intend to try some recordings that are poorly mastered to see for myself. Many of these recordings end up played with my Denons simply because the HD600 sounds flat or harsh. I am anxious to see if the HD800 cleans them up or at least presents them tolerably without tilting the signature toward the bottom like the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back