My HD650 opened up all of a sudden
Jan 24, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on your point of reference and setup. On my setup, the HD650s are the most detailed headphone I have: the 325is are a smidgen more detailed on the top end, but in an unnatural way. Hence why I reserve my recommendation of the HD650 until I know a person is willing to go with a more expensive system for it. The HD580/600 is easier to get to synergize

To takezo, if there's that much of a huge difference between your HD580 and HD600 on your setup, either A: your 600 grills need to be replaced with the 580s, or B: you need to deveil your ears with the 600
biggrin.gif
At a recent headphone meet, I had my HD580s, and another Head-fier had a recabled 600. Some people's impressions where that they sounded extremely alike.

I find it a lot easier to pick up minute details on my er4p's because they're sealed, but im not saying the 650s have bad detail. Just always thought of them as a nice all around headphone, while my er4's i think of as detailed.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To takezo, if there's that much of a huge difference between your HD580 and HD600 on your setup, either A: your 600 grills need to be replaced with the 580s, or B: you need to deveil your ears with the 600
biggrin.gif
At a recent headphone meet, I had my HD580s, and another Head-fier had a recabled 600. Some people's impressions where that they sounded extremely alike.

you're right, the 580 and 600 used to sound virtually identical to me before the 580 just blossomed...they sound like different phones now...happy but confused...

btw, i don't think 580's plastic grill can be the source of this change...
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 20
I've noticed the sound of all my phones seem to vary quite a lot from day to day - one day bright, clear and vibrant... and one day darker and slower.

I'm guessing that variances in multiple factors are affecting how they sound to me - including: temperature, humidity, air pressure, atmospheric electron transmission, power quality, body chemistry, amount of ear wax (I wash mine out regularly)... as well as the amount of burn in, and the length of the listening session... as well as a host of other factors... including whether I've been "visited by aliens the night before."

Not to be facetious... but... I think it's likely all these factors are at work in how your headphones sound at any given time.

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed the sound of all my phones seem to vary quite a lot from day to day - one day bright, clear and vibrant... and one day darker and slower.

I'm guessing that variances in multiple factors are affecting how they sound to me - including: temperature, humidity, air pressure, atmospheric electron transmission, power quality, body chemistry, amount of ear wax (I wash mine out regularly)... as well as the amount of burn in, and the length of the listening session... as well as a host of other factors... including whether I've been "visited by aliens the night before."

Not to be facetious... but... I think it's likely all these factors are at work in how your headphones sound at any given time.

I agree with this in a big way. I went from hearing my GS-1000s thinking why do I still need my K-1000s to hearing them last night thinking how terrible they sound (on a highly processed recording).

With Senns I do the same thing. I put them on and think how detailed the midrange is and how acccurate (Senn HD600 anyway), and then later take them off thinking wow - that just wasn't exciting at all.

Its your brain... or breakin.

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 20
Yes, lots of factors as Gradofan2 mentions. I notice differences in sound with my IEMs most. I use them mostly away from home where those variables mentioned would be more likely to occur.

I also like to mix it up with my cans. I usually change each night between my top 3, depending on music type.

" There is absolutely no way to remember all the specific details of a headphone's character after one day. I'm getting back to listening to my HD650s after being gone on business. They're sounding slightly different to me then what I remembered from last week. I also have gripes with people trying to do comparisons of headphones from memory."-Davesrose

I feel the same way. When someone asks me about how a certain headphone sounds compared to another or a comparison of amps that I own, I often need to double check my first thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back