My HD650 Cable (silver)
Jan 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

XFxGeforced

100+ Head-Fier
I'm making a new cable for my 650s (shorter) and using 22 awg 99.99% silver wire, silver mini stereo connector, and 4% silver solder. So it's all blinged with the silver, but i have a few questions:

1) I see a lot of people using cotton tubing with silver wire, and I am only using teflon right now, and I am getting a reading of like 300k ohms resistance between the channels and the ground, but not between the channels. Now this seems kind of insignificant doesn't it? but I'd like to see it say OL when i measure ground to a channel
frown.gif
(wire ends to plug)

2) on the senn connectors, I'm just going to snip the wire off, strip the tips, solder the wires together and shrink it and everything, but I was wondering about what the polarity was? let's say im looking at the L or the R, which pin is ground and which is signal?

3) based on the picture below, you think I should leave the wires uncovered after the split, or should I cover them in black heatshrink?

650recable11rg.jpg

-Thanks for the Help everyone, you guys are always very useful!

Jan 21, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 10
I've been told the method of cutting the wire and just soldering my wire to the existing wire (like 1/2 inch) would make a difference, as opposed to taking all the orig wire out.

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> but I was wondering about what the polarity was? let's say im looking at the L or the R, which pin is ground and which is signal?

Best way to do it is to just check it with you DMM before cutting off the plugs.
wink.gif

And I would argue that leaving less than an inch of the original wire is not going to make much difference. I'd rather have a reliable connector left over rather than butcher the Senn connector to get at the pins. Just my 2¢.

Nate

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 10
okay, while you're here this is really bugging me! I have my fluke set to read resistance right, so I stripped the end of the 650 wire, which i cut long to practice, and there is the copper wire with like some kind of cotton or something wrapped around it, but when i put one probe on the wire, and one on either of the connector pins, there is no conductivity between the two!? i wish people would take pictures when doing this recable.

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's got an enamel coating on it.

Rub your soldering iron up and down it a few times and see if it works then.

okay, it just looks plain copper though, but ill check it out. Maybe that's why the other wire is green
tongue.gif
it's not oxidized copper afterall! jk

Jan 21, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 10
Well the stock cables I've seen so far for Koss and Sonys have an orange/red and green signal wires and they've been enamel coated so I'd just hazard a guess that Sennheiser does the same as it seems to be the norm.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the stock cables I've seen so far for Koss and Sonys have an orange/red and green signal wires and they've been enamel coated so I'd just hazard a guess that Sennheiser does the same as it seems to be the norm.

yeah they apparently do, im done with it and, i can def say there is a difference
biggrin.gif
positive in this case.

pictures:

650recable24qv.jpg

and from start to end

650recable35wp.jpg

650recable41he.jpg

650recable51tm.jpg

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Splaz! didn't realize that was you. Why don't you use the avatar with the guy eating the pepper?

*After listening to some Espers and Tom Waits, I can say that this has brought back (for me) the ability to actively listen to music again without having to do soemthing else. Maybe I'm just tired though, but I can just put my head back and listen to the music and only think about that, if it's placebo, then i've got a creative brain or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back