My HD555 experience (so far)
Apr 13, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #256 of 268
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
The HD590 is far more resolving. This becomes especially evident when I listen to DVD-Audio (you wouldn't notice how special dvd-a really is until you hear it with headphones/speakers at least as resolving as the 590, everything just sounds so natural).

Ok, so if the new 5x5 series aren't as resolving as the 590's, then what is? I just sold my 590's because I couldn't get used to the unbalanced sound and I don't listen to classical music, which they are suited to, and am looking for something exactly like the 590's but with a more balanced sound? I thought the 555 or 595 would be a good replacement but I'm not sure now. I'm thinking maybe the Beyer DT531's, but I'm not sure.

Apr 13, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #257 of 268
Quote:

Originally posted by 3lusiv3
Ok, so if the new 5x5 series aren't as resolving as the 590's, then what is? I just sold my 590's because I couldn't get used to the unbalanced sound and I don't listen to classical music, which they are suited to, and am looking for something exactly like the 590's but with a more balanced sound? I thought the 555 or 595 would be a good replacement but I'm not sure now. I'm thinking maybe the Beyer DT531's, but I'm not sure.

All I said was that the 555 is less resolving than the 590. I haven't heard the 595 yet for comparison. I would honestly be very suprised if the 595 were less resolving than the 590.

Apr 13, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #258 of 268
Again I disagree...

The 595's are FLAT to the point of being boring. They will faithfully throw back at you whatever you throw into them. No colouration no messing with the sound. very clean...almost too clean and detached.

You will forget you had the music on...perfect for bedtime listening...awesome in-fact...

Apr 14, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #259 of 268
Lou: No problem, I didn't mean to spoil your fun, anyway - as you know, I'm in fact a fan of your enthusiasm, anyway. Nevertheless, while I wouldn't claim the HD 595 not to be an enjoyable headphone, I'd seriously claim the DT440 to do better for less money...

gsferrari: Ok, let me be a little mean in that case. So what you say is that one will need expensive high quality equipment in order to make the HD 595 "not quite so grainy anymore"? Yeah, that's a clear sign of superiority compared to a contender that isn't even grainy on less expensive equipment, for sure...
evil_smiley.gif
And the trouble is that the HD 595 with its lower impedance allows more current and thus needs a top quality chain in order not to lose its superior sonic qualities? It's 120 Ohm impedance, isn't it? Alright, so what about the 32 Ohm of the DT440?
evil_smiley.gif

No, really, no HD 595 bashing intended (I wouldn't sell mine, either - but then again, I'm a collector...
wink.gif
) - I'd just recommend everyone who's interested in the HD 595 to compare it to the DT440 before purchase, because for some the Beyerdynamic might turn out to be the better deal. Ok?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: 3lusiv3: I don't think you'd be too happy with the DT531 if you are looking for a particularly resolving headphone - the DT531 is a bit too recessed in the midrange (compared to its bass and treble presence) for that.

Apr 14, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #260 of 268
I havent heard the Beyer's that you are talking about and my "analysis" was just an idea I got when I thought about it technically.

And I repeatedly say - I dont recommend the HD-595 because there are better options out there.

To be honest I think the Grado SR-225/325, DT-880 is also grainy...not to mention the DT-770p is one helluva lousy headphone.

Grainy in this case is a good thing lini - it means this headphone shows all the faults in your equipment. Thats its problem...it is probably too good for its own good
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheaper drivers with lesser resolution will not sound so grainy with mediocre equipment.

That the 595 gets better with the rest of the equipment probably ensures that you have a solid headphone for a long time while everything else evolves..but in that case I would just get a HD-580 which I think is as good as it gets in that price range...or a HD-600...or even a 650 for long term breaks from HeadFi
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #261 of 268
gsferrari: Hmhmhmmm - I don't think I'm completely with you (though that might border on hairsplitting
wink.gif
), especially with the good grain theory (or, maybe more exactly, the term "faults in your equipment")... Problem is: If I can perceive a fairly similar level of detail with another headphone on the same equipment, but without the grain, while both models seem to gain similarly in sonic quality, when used with better equipment, then it rather seems the other way round to me - i.e. the "faulty" part is not the rest of the chain, but the grainy headphone, as it apparently requires very capable equipment (in the case of the HD 595 apparently quite powerful amps) to keep it under control. So perhaps we can agree on "The HD 595 reveals the capabilities of one's equipment.", instead...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I can't really comment on the SR225/325, btw - but I don't like the DT770Pro/250, either. Nor the DT880, for that matters, though it didn't seem grainy to me - I think it's more its sonic balance which I don't like that much...

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #262 of 268
HI: I am not disagreeing with any one but when I use my portable minidisc and super mini amp V6.2D the 595 sound fantastic to me. Even when I use my portable radio at 28 m/w per channel the 595 sound great and in my main rig they sound awesome. There have been many times that I was listing to music on my portable radio with the 595 and wanted to stop but another song that I liked came on and it was another hour before I turned it off. LOL. I think I am saying that to me in my opinion the 595 sound great with low end stuff and awesome with high end stuff. I will say that they are 120 ohms and need a little power to open up but My super mini amp is over kill fore them but my 28 m/w portable radio is just right. Now the PPA and NAD C542 HDCD bring the 595 to a awesome sound but all that is not necessary in my opinion to enjoy the 595. I would compare the super mini amp to a meta42 and any source will do well with it and the 595. Now please no offense to any one. This is just how I see and hear the 595.

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #263 of 268
Certainly no offense taken, lou - and I hope it's the same the other way round. I don't even deny that the HD 595 provides a fairly enjoyable sound - and for others, what I perceive as slight (upper) midrange grain & missing (low) bass extension, might just as well equal to a welcome dryness & tightness...

Nevertheless, where gsferrari and I actually seem to agree on, is that the HD 595 is not particularly priceworthy for what sound quality it conveys. And - unfortunately for the HD 595 - there are other contenders like the DT440 that seem to do better for less money, which is why I'd strongly recommend to compare before purchase...

So, once again, no bashing intended - just a hint for those who are in doubt... And I just had to be a little provocative, as I feared that this would otherwise have remained unnoticed
wink.gif
- and in order to provide some balance to the supporters of the HD 595 (with you probably being the most vocal and enthusiatic - which, of course, is fine: you bought it, you like it - great!).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I just hope I can get rid of my unnerving cold soon, because the HD 595 and the K271S still leave some questions to be answered, which requires some more digging into - and then there's still my unfinished Aureon 7.1 FireWire review waiting for completion...

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #264 of 268
Lini
HI: I agree that if possible one should try the DT440 especially if it cost lest money. The 595 do cost a bit But I have paid a lot more fore a lot less quality sound. LOL. I think it comes down to if you want some of the Sennheiser sound then the 595 have some of it. But not a whole lot of it. They are not laid back and are forward sounding but I guess the Sennheiser sound is there somewhere. The quality sure is. I have learned that any headphone that really turns one on is the right can fore that person. I am seeing more and more that there is no one can that is it fore all but there are many different cans fore many different folks and they are all equal in satisfying that special someone. I now don't believe that my headphone is any better than any one else headphone just different sounding. It would be nice if all found that one can whatever it is that seems like the one forever at the time. I have been searching fore years fore my special headphone and spent lots of money doing it. LOL. Its a great feeling to stop and buy some music and enjoy and not be searching forever.

Apr 14, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #266 of 268
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
And I repeatedly say - I dont recommend the HD-595 because there are better options out there.

Such as...?

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #267 of 268
I'm doing some research on the new Sennheiser series (hd5x5), but it seems there are yet (some months later) still little reviews and side-by-side comparisons available. I wonder if the difference in sound quality between the 555's and 595's is worth the extra ~ € 50-70 (around $ 65-85) for the 595's?

I've read the articles on headroom and have been browsing head-fi for hours now, but I just don't know which one to choose. I had the opportunity to listen for a very short time to both recently, but the environment and sources were not optimal to make a good comparison. On top of that the hp's were not burned in yet. Is there someone who had the opportunity to hear both hp's burned-in on a representative source being able to give an objective comparison?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #268 of 268
I've got about 20+ hours of burn-in on my 555's and they sound awesome. I can't even imagine how even more awesome they will sound with my Headsave Classic that I should be getting in the mail next month.
biggrin.gif
These headphones are perfect, I couldn't ask for more for my dorm room at such a great price $169. The amp is running me $159 (with shipping and 24v power supply), so it'll be a $328 sound setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: I'm not an audio expert, but all this "dark" talk about them... I can't hear it. They sound loud, vibrant, and awesome. The midbass is fine, so is the high trebles. Deep strong bass isn't the best, but I wasn't expecting it. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it's really good, but just not as good as midbass and treble.

If you have a good stereo, or a good soundcard for your PC, then you can mess with the EQ till you get it just how you want it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back