My HD 595s sound odd.
Apr 9, 2006 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
I got them on Wednesday, burnt them in(using radio static) for 60 hours. I used them all day Saturday for 7 hours and they sounded fine.

I used them all today too a short while now(after about 85 hours burn in) they sound 'out', like EX71s, a bit bloaty and undetailed. Like they'd sound if my amp battery went, although this is only for a few minutes.

Is this just a case of them not being properly burnt-in yet? I burnt-in my 580s and A900s for twice as long from the off...

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
Did you check to see if the battery in your amp went
wink.gif

I run a counter with my amp, its on 6 hours. I charged it overnight. Besides, as I said when the batteries die its completely obvious, it goes really fuzzy and a channel might drop out.

God, I hope this is lack of burn-in, they sound awful.
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 17
Oh, I was just thinking about getting some HD595's, but this is troubling. If you don't mind me asking, why did you get the 595's when you already own a HD580? Thanks

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Oh, I was just thinking about getting some HD595's, but this is troubling. If you don't mind me asking, why did you get the 595's when you already own a HD580? Thanks

What kind of a question is that to ask on this site?
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 17
I have read posts on the 595s saying the bass will just disappear for a while then reappear, this could be what's going on although 85 hours of burn in should be enough for them IMO.

Another thing is placement. I've noticed with mine that placement makes a noticable difference in sound. After many sessions of experimenting with different placements I've gotten pretty good at hitting my sweet spot. When I miss that spot they can definitly sound "out" as you described.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 17
They may need more than 85 hours of burn in.Mine were very muddy sounding at first.I left them hooked up to a jambox and put them in a closet for every bit of 300 hours. They eventually opened up some but still retain a somewhat less forward sound. Being a Grado fan I lower the bass and increase the treble to my liking on these. I enjoy them very much and a great alternative to my 225's.

Also, for me,I place the headband more forward on my head-they just fit better that way.Dont give up on them yet...they take time to grow on ya !

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426

Most reviews of the HD595 state that they have a good sound to counter the 580/600/650s, so I imagine this is why he wanted both. I myself have pondered getting some 595s, but am in search of darth beyers at the moment, I want that crazy bass! Just go read some reviews on the popular cans on this site and you will understand everyones obsession with having multiple pairs of seemingly similar cans. We are always comparing one to the other. People on here, myself included, have the mentality that there is always something better and we want to find it! Get some high end cans, and you will understand...
biggrin.gif

Slade

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 17
I don't buy into things like "burn-in" or vague descriptions like something sounding "out." All I know is that I've had my HD595 for over a month, and it kicks a ton of ass. The only reason I'm getting rid of them soon is due to comfort issues. If it weren't for that, I could happy with these headphones until the day they died.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 17
Starting with the HD600 over three years, then last year.

Got the 595 only for iPod use as they work well un amped for time when I dont want to have an amp with me. The 595 sounded bad for a few months until I got about 100-150 hours or so on them. They are good for the money (£99 in the UK) now over 400 hours and they are very good, still not HD600 good, but good.

So that's why I have both

And I encode Apple Lossless for all my iPods
And Latter this year I shall get the HD650.

R
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Maybe your catching a cold?.

I had my 555 for a short time and they were good out of the box but after being on for 168 hours, they sound incredible! at 300+ hours they reached a
incalculably incredible level!

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 17
2426 - Its well known that 580s and 595s are pretty different sounding Senns. Plus I got mine, new for £80.

I shall leave them burning in every night for a few weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I don't buy into things like "burn-in" or vague descriptions like something sounding "out." All I know is that I've had my HD595 for over a month, and it kicks a ton of ass. The only reason I'm getting rid of them soon is due to comfort issues. If it weren't for that, I could happy with these headphones until the day they died.

Well, I do and I am an engineer and I can completely see how items with moving parts wear-in, like shoes(they're inaminate but you feets/legs aren't!). Not so much with stuff like cables.

It may be a vague description, but they sound pretty vague.
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 17
I got similar problem when I was trying my cans with different borrowed sources. Maybe my plug don't accept some source inputs in good manners. My A900LTD's sounded crap against A500's and even worst then my previous sony's with those sources. I tried to re-connect them and some of them accepted and blew the sound I was expecting while some remains same.

IIt may be same kind of problem with your plug and source.

You have reference cans in your rig.. and as per my knowledge it should not sound inferior then A900's except bass.

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
IIt may be same kind of problem with your plug and source.

You have reference cans in your rig.. and as per my knowledge it should not sound inferior then A900's except bass.

Well that can't be it, as it sounded fine for a long time. It just struck me that 85 hours was quite a long time? Maybe it isn't really?

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Well, I do and I am an engineer and I can completely see how items with moving parts wear-in, like shoes(they're inaminate but you feets/legs aren't!). Not so much with stuff like cables.(

So what do you think about a solid state amp or any amp for that matter with burn in?
Slade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back