My Harambe Head Breaks EVERYTHING
May 14, 2020 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CasetteKid85

New Head-Fier
Budget - ~$150
Use - Music/Gaming/Movies

My plight -
I would love nothing more than to own a decent pair of headphones. However I've never owned a pair of sub $100 headphones that could endure more than 4months on my giant gorilla head. The support arms always break even though I baby them (I use a headphone stand).

While I have never spent more than $60 on headphones myself (Status closed backs R.I.P. 3 months) I just recently broke a ~$100 gifted pair of turtle beach headphones. 1 control arm cracked, then snapped. I taped it, because it was a gift and I use them to talk to the friend who purchased them for me on discord. However the second support snapped last week. Frankly I'm too embarrassed to even tell my friend about it. I've had to turn the volume down because the audio is bleeding back into the mic as the ear cups hang off the sides of my head like ______ pig-tails.

I'm not broke but money is damn tight right now, and I am having serious trouble committing to a quality headphone purchase.

If anyone knows of some good headphones that have pretty bullet-proof support arms I would be very grateful for the knowledge
So far I've been looking at the Fostex t50/40rp mkIII's and the Fidelio x2's, but no one really talks about what breaks on them.

*Note I do not own an Amp or DAC and while I probably will eventually purchase 1 or both; I do not see that happening in the near future.

Sorry if the post is out of format, but it sucks not being able to listen to music like I'm used to, the desperation is beginning to set in.

May 14, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 5
The lack of an amp pretty much means the Fostex planars are out of the question. The Fidelio X2s are probably a good bet

May 15, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 5
Budget - ~$150
Use - Music/Gaming/Movies
----
If anyone knows of some good headphones that have pretty bullet-proof support arms I would be very grateful for the knowledge
So far I've been looking at the Fostex t50/40rp mkIII's and the Fidelio x2's, but no one really talks about what breaks on them.

*Note I do not own an Amp or DAC and while I probably will eventually purchase 1 or both; I do not see that happening in the near future.

If you can sacrifice imaging (as long as you use virtual surround for games it won't be too bad though) there's the Grado SR125e. All-metal headband, the weakest point is the plastic gimbals but I don't see how they'll get undue stress (and besides you can order replacement gimbals).

May 15, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 5
If you can sacrifice imaging (as long as you use virtual surround for games it won't be too bad though) there's the Grado SR125e. All-metal headband, the weakest point is the plastic gimbals but I don't see how they'll get undue stress (and besides you can order replacement gimbals).
I appreciate the advice. I went ahead and took the leap of faith on the Fidelio's. I'm hopeful they will work out in the end. Should I run into any issues I might just take a look at those Grados

Users who are viewing this thread

Back