My haphazard journey into turning a Sennheiser HD 800 into a HD 800S with the SuperDupont mod and Paint
Jun 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #32 of 62
https://www.amazon.de/Eytmotic-Yellow-LARGE-foam-eartips/dp/B009OWP8KC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465044199&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=etymotic+memory+foam

Something like these. The memory foams. Have fun :)

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #33 of 62
i don't want to be insistant but the Current Superdupont resonator is that :

Tips was the first attempt and IMO not as efficient. The best is to go directly to the current SD resonator. 

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #34 of 62
Hey does anybody think the Original 800 S resonator is available to buy at sennheisers or would one have to buy a whole driver for that..

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #35 of 62
Hey does anybody think the Original 800 S resonator is available to buy at sennheisers or would one have to buy a whole driver for that..

Sennheiser wouldn't sell a 800S resonator otherwise it will devalue all the other HD800. Besides, they wouldn't sell something where you can end up messing up their drivers. Their warranty wouldn't allow that.

You'll need to get the whole headphones/driver.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #36 of 62
  Tips was the first attempt and IMO not as efficient. The best is to go directly to the current SD resonator. 

So I looked into the cost of buying the tools and materials and the time necessary to make a pair of SD resonators and thought that there might be someone that already has the tools and spare materials that could make a pair for me for a modest price or trade.  Anyone interested?

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #38 of 62
  why don't you contact Sorrodje directly? 

I will send him a PM and see what he says.

I might be able to help you out

OK. Have you made them with the same materials as he used?  What would you think is fair for making a set?  I see that you both are in the EU and I don't know much about dealing with transactions from there.  Do you do PayPal?

Edit: Sorrodje came through.....

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #39 of 62

I will send him a PM and see what he says.

OK. Have you made them with the same materials as he used?  What would you think is fair for making a set?  I see that you both are in the EU and I don't know much about dealing with transactions from there.  Do you do PayPal?

Edit: Sorrodje came through.....

I'm sorry by "I" I meant "he". so contact him , he will help you out 

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #40 of 62
So i could not resist anymore and made myself the resonators where iam sorrodje so gratefull for. And boy do they perform.

Now im just thinking since its all about dampening a resonation in the frame where the driver conus is in.. I remember doing the same boulding my speakers in the 90's where i used carpet to absorb vibrations in the wooden case of the box. I figured it was all about meganicly connect the carpet material to the wood by glueing it. So since the sdr's have the right mass and shape.. Maybe theyre not yet best "connected" to the frame athough they do have many touch points, the cell foam more than the vilt. My idea would be to use silicon kit and cover a thin layer around the "donuts" and let it dry. Then when installed they have a bigger contact area in the cilinder absorbing the unwanted resonation vibrations.. if just i had spectrum measuring equipment..

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:
  Honestly, I tried different sizes and the 2mm one offers good results and is still easy to work with to make the resonator.  I Still think there's some room for improvements but Dunno it will still stay easy to DIY , to produce in small series and to remove in case of.  Let's say the current State od the SD resonator is a good compromise. 

Hope that makes sense. 

I'm looking for a pair of used 800's to modify. I've seen comments about SQ differences between old and newer serial number 800's. Does that make a difference in your experience?
Can I still purchase your SDR mod? 
Can similar results be obtained through digital EQ without the physical modification?
Would a balanced cable for your mod 800's be beneficial?
Thanks, McC

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #42 of 62
I don"t really care about serial differences. Measurements and experience show it does not matter much.  Balanced cable makes a difference if and only if the amp is designed to wiok better in balance mode . I've not much experience with EQ unfortunately so I can't tell anything about it. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #43 of 62
  I don"t really care about serial differences. Measurements and experience show it does not matter much.  Balanced cable makes a difference if and only if the amp is designed to wiok better in balance mode . I've not much experience with EQ unfortunately so I can't tell anything about it. 

Thanks for the response.  I would be using them in a Schiit Gumby/MJ2 setup with balanced connectors and I thought that made a difference in SQ when I changed my Audeze LCD-Xs to a balanced cable.  I've been thinking same would be true with other HPs, but have gotten some feedback on forums about circumstances in which 1/4" cable would be preferable.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #44 of 62
Mjolnir is probably one of the best example of amp that is designed to be used in balanced mode  :wink:   Nothing suprising if it sounds better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back