My haphazard journey into turning a Sennheiser HD 800 into a HD 800S with the SuperDupont mod and Paint
Jun 1, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #16 of 62
I will do this mod this weekend thanks. But I couldn't find the right materials online maybe I will have a look in the local hardware store. 
Do you think a thermocol/Styrofoam will suffice?

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 62

Ok, I had some spare etymotic hf5's memory tips. I cut them into half and it was the perfect size for the hole inside. It took only 5 mins for this mod, thanks for the vid tutorials.
My impressions => The bass is amazing now, almost rocking my headphones but no distortion nor gets into the mids. And the best part is its not "bright" any more yay!! I can listen without any fatigue without sacrificing anything else (soundstage, layering, etc ).

I will also do a paint job slowly to make them look like the HD 800S. Thanks a lot Sorrodje :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #18 of 62
Contrats you applied the first version of the mod. You're now ready for the last and best one.:)

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 62
  I can't put them down, I'm re-listening to every song, man I hate you :)

I highly recommend you do it. It does make everything more musical. Takes away your hard focus on listening. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #22 of 62
Love the paint job.

It is possible to keep all the words that you painted over. Now sure the exact procedure, but I remember seeing a few episode of American Restoration on cable on how its done.

The video on the making of the earcups for the Fostex TH900 shows them just placing a piece of paper over the cups & painting over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKXGbsA94E

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #23 of 62
  Love the paint job.

It is possible to keep all the words that you painted over. Now sure the exact procedure, but I remember seeing a few episode of American Restoration on cable on how its done.

The video on the making of the earcups for the Fostex TH900 shows them just placing a piece of paper over the cups & painting over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKXGbsA94E

Thanks I love how it came out too, looks great in person now that it's dried completely. I thought about using paper or masking tape to try and keep the lettering, problem is the font is so small that it would be extremely difficult not to get paint on some of the letters. I made the decision to paint over them completely and I actually really like the all-black "stealth" look. 

There are some places that sell tiny heat-transfer letters for small scale models like these...I may try them one day, but for now I don't mind the way the cups look at all with the black metallic rings 
smile.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 62
Jun 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #26 of 62
Where can I buy some Creatology foam sheets online in Europe or Great Britain? I have found it at US shops only, the shipping to me from US is very slow.

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #27 of 62
Any 2mm closed cell foam sheet will dot the trick :wink: . not only creatology ones. 

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #29 of 62
Dunno. I always produce my mod with the same foam , felt and paper. I don't do experiment anymore. Maybe in the future, I'll try different things but not for now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back