My half-conscious, hibernative state
Jan 4, 2008 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nikky1001

New Head-Fier
Whenever I really want to enjoy my Sennheiser 650s , I lay back on my lazyboy chair with my Ipod Classic and just sit there until I become barely conscious. The only things my mind process are the music and the controls, and everything else is just... not there. It's kinda like a nap really. I usually stay like this for 10 hours straight.

I snap out of my doze when Kanye West comes on, and then I get up and feast on Mountain Dew.

Peace.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 21
Hey,

I am glad someone broached the subject of LUCID LISTENING!

Some of my most enjoyable and attentive listening is done in the minutes(seconds?) just before I doze off.

One of my criteria for a good can is that I can fall asleep listening to it, but does not cause me to fall asleep.

The HD650 with DV336i is a heady combo for this purpose.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikky1001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only things my mind process are the music and the controls, and everything else is just... not there. It's kinda like a nap really. I usually stay like this for 10 hours straight.

This right here explains why I can never listen to music when I am at work and why I could never listen to it while I studied. I can't remember the number of times I started studying with music, only to wake up 9 hours later with the music still playing, and my textbook still open on the page I started.

The only time I am able to enjoy music is when I am doing absolutely nothing else, which makes it easy to justify napping in the chair as the music plays.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 21
Multi-tasking is bad IMO, it has lead to MP3's and the Loudness race. People don't listen to their music any more, its just there to drown out the silence.

Glad there are still a few of us left. I can stay lucid just above unconsciousness for about 90 minutes listening to the right material. It takes practice to maintain.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Multi-tasking is bad IMO, it has lead to MP3's and the Loudness race. People don't listen to their music any more, its just there to drown out the silence.

I must whole heartedly disagree.

The occasional full-attention listening session is great, but music while multitasking is better than work in silence.

Far better.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 21
I use Radio 4 or audiobooks for multi-task listening. I find that when one savours music as a means in itself rather than as a means to an end one is more satisfied by the ends.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 21
I pretty much can't do crap without music. Its funny, I fall asleep to my mp3 player almost every night. It's when I can really analyze the music to its fullest, with no other distractions. The amount of detail can just be hypnotizing. Although I don't use my nice cans, I'm afraid of crushing them in my sleep!

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikky1001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I really want to enjoy my Sennheiser 650s , I lay back on my lazyboy chair with my Ipod Classic and just sit there until I become barely conscious. The only things my mind process are the music and the controls, and everything else is just... not there. It's kinda like a nap really. I usually stay like this for 10 hours straight.

I snap out of my doze when Kanye West comes on, and then I get up and feast on Mountain Dew.

Peace.

That nice cozy veil must help put you straight to sleep
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 21
And here I thought that I was the only one who was dozing off when I concentrate on the music. Every time I listen to the music and concentrate on the details in the music, I enjoy it soo much and I feel soo relaxed that I fall asleep. Dammit, I can't even go through one album before I fall asleep.
frown.gif

Only when the next album comes on and there is a change in tempo or something to that effect do I wake up and switch everything off and go back to sleep.

But then again I do my serious listening in bed.
tongue.gif
I guess I got to set up a spot in the den, then maybe I won't fall asleep.
biggrin.gif

Using music as a background is different, I won't fall asleep but then I'm not concentrating on the music as much.

When doing serious listening, I can even fall asleep with the ES7 or Darths!
eek.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 21
This Christmas break, all the nights I haven't gone out I read head-fi until about 1 or 2, then turn off all the lights and just listen to music in the complete dark. It drowns out all thoughts but requires just enough attention that I don't fall completely to sleep. The difference in this state from normal is night and day, no pun intended.
+1 for lucid listening

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must whole heartedly disagree.

The occasional full-attention listening session is great, but music while multitasking is better than work in silence.

Far better.

Silence is good when you're mentally involved with your work, but otherwise I agree, especially when your workplace is playing something that you simply cannot stand.
As a back-stock worker at a larger clothing chain (express), the company mix is simply aggravating to my ears (nothing against beyonce, but hearing her remixed nth times over makes me want to punch small children); hiding the yuin pk3s under the radio ear-piece makes a huge difference in both working ability and maintenance of my sanity.

With that said, oddly, my favorite moment to listen to music is when I'm washing dishes. It doesn't matter what's playing; only that the ears are totally involved while my hands are on auto-pilot. I haven't cut my hands washing knives yet, so its probably safe enough
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 21
I really like music for chores - and IEMS help with the earbleeding crash of glass into the apartment recycling bins (that must break 100 db, I swear).

An alternative (that still makes use of my headphones) I'm not too proud to admit are those "environmental sound" collections (obviously the ones without cheesy piano or flute accompaniment). Basically, a textured white noise, sort of like a landscape background for your ears. A nice alternative to a pink noise generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back