My H160 is born (Pic proof but hardly instructional)
Mar 31, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #16 of 32
Whoa these memory mods become more and more interesting.
First flash player on the cheap and now great HDD player with great battery life!
Delicious! I wish i never sold my H140 hehe

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #17 of 32
@wolfen68... so your the reason I have had so much trouble finding h140's. could you please tell me what vendor you go to get your 60 gig drives?

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@wolfen68... so your the reason I have had so much trouble finding h140's.

Hey, when a legendary piece of hardware that is hard to find all of a sudden gets offered at fire sale prices on e-bay....what do you expect a guy to do?
tongue.gif

Quote:

....could you please tell me what vendor you go to get your 60 gig drives?

I've found two vendors currently. On ebay, there's Santech out of California that sells new MK6006GAH's for $95 and $8 shipping. Also, if you search on pricewatch.com, you'll find them at a reasonable price ($98 total) from "Digital Techland". Both vendors have good feedback ratings, but Digital Techland doesn't have a lot of feedback.

BTW, this thread has inspired me and I bought another 60 gig drive (from Santech) last night. New ones have been less frequent lately and I don't want to kick myself later when they're gone. I've been impressed with what people have been doing with Compact Flash cards in H120's...but a MK6006GAH is still the cheapest way to go for an H140.

Also...for the record, licketysplitauctions on ebay is a great place to get replacement batteries. Their batteries are cheap, with correct polarity, and ship fast with a provided torx 5 driver. I'm of course not affiliated in any way...just a happy 2x customer.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 32
I also bought my hard drive from Santech. Expensive shipping to China but brand new and well packaged for the journey. I am pleased with the experience.

Thanks for the congrats wolfen68. I too consider this to be an absolute classic. It's put my iPod Video into the closet. Interestingly, I bought the H140 to drive my MicroDAC (which it did well but that's now decoding from Foobar). But the H1xx has a fine headphone out - lovely with the Triple-Fis - and it runs Rockbox perfectly. That's how I mainly use it now. A nice complement to EAC and Foobar for controlling one's own files (go away Steve Jobs).

I am still thinking of an iBasso D1 and Sysconcept cable to drive my Darths around my home....

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #20 of 32
Nice upgrades you got!

For me though, it would not be worth the money. I found the clip is wayyy better in terms of SQ- so I will have to live with 2gb
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #21 of 32
ty wolfen. I was having a hell of a time navigaiting toshiba's confusing product distribution chain and was getting now where so I am going to stuff that 60gb in an h120 or my h320.

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, when a legendary piece of hardware that is hard to find all of a sudden gets offered at fire sale prices on e-bay....what do you expect a guy to do?
tongue.gif

I've found two vendors currently. On ebay, there's Santech out of California that sells new MK6006GAH's for $95 and $8 shipping. Also, if you search on pricewatch.com, you'll find them at a reasonable price ($98 total) from "Digital Techland". Both vendors have good feedback ratings, but Digital Techland doesn't have a lot of feedback.

BTW, this thread has inspired me and I bought another 60 gig drive (from Santech) last night. New ones have been less frequent lately and I don't want to kick myself later when they're gone. I've been impressed with what people have been doing with Compact Flash cards in H120's...but a MK6006GAH is still the cheapest way to go for an H140.

Also...for the record, licketysplitauctions on ebay is a great place to get replacement batteries. Their batteries are cheap, with correct polarity, and ship fast with a provided torx 5 driver. I'm of course not affiliated in any way...just a happy 2x customer.

If you ever want to sell one of your surplus H140's... throw me a PM - I'm going to hit the 30gig limit on my H130 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

ty wolfen. I was having a hell of a time navigaiting toshiba's confusing product distribution chain and was getting now where so I am going to stuff that 60gb in an h120 or my h320.

Be careful as the 60 gig will only fit in an H140 as it's slightly thicker. You would need to get a MK3006GAL (30 gig) to fit in the smaller h120/h320. You could also try the compact flash trick I mentioned...but that's only up to 32 gig right now and more expensive besides.

There is a 40 gig Toshiba drive that will fit in the H120 but it is literally impossible to get one. I think that one is a MK4007GAL.

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ever want to sell one of your surplus H140's... throw me a PM - I'm going to hit the 30gig limit on my H130 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

I got two spare stock H140 hard drives and maybe an H130...that's all I would even consider parting with
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #25 of 32
At one point I had two H120 and one H140. I was talked into selling one of the H120, and then the spare died right after that. Now I am down to the one H140. So, I am afraid to upgrade to 60gb because I will fry the board with static or something
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #26 of 32
I just bumped my H140 up to 100gb with a Toshiba MK1011GAH and a ZIF to IDE adaptor bought from eBay... hurrah! If anyone is interested in buying the previous drives I had in this player... MK8007GAH 80gb and MK6006GAH 60Gb just let me know, I'm in Hong Kong so shipping to the U.S. will be about $25 though.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bumped my H140 up to 100gb with a Toshiba MK1011GAH and a ZIF to IDE adaptor bought from eBay... hurrah! If anyone is interested in buying the previous drives I had in this player... MK8007GAH 80gb and MK6006GAH 60Gb just let me know, I'm in Hong Kong so shipping to the U.S. will be about $25 though.

Very cool. I didn't realize that the ZIF to IDE adapter would fit in there with the drive.

Which adaptor did you use?

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #28 of 32
This one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310032239559

I had to file down one side of the adaptor plug to make it fit (alternative is to break off one of the small plastic prongs on the iRiver connector).

I had to remove the blue rubber HD protector, and also the small black plastic bar that screws over one end of the HD (the ZIF drive is too small to actually be secured by it anyway), but after that it all fitted in securely with no problem. Not too tight, and nothing moving around inside.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is remarkable.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back