my great um2 dissapointment
Apr 7, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #16 of 43
with the longer tips as suggested, the sound is becoming a bit more clear, but it still tips towards the bass side which robs alot of my music of the detail it needs

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
again, i must say, the um2's lack ability to seperate sounds, things kind of mush together a bit which makes it sound a bit muddy. also, the treble is very poor.

These were exactly my thoughts when I first purchased the UM-2 for myself. Like you, I was also using the Echo Indigo as my source. I found that the seperation and mush went away after about a week or so of listening. Enjoyment increased by leaps and bounds thereafter.

Your mileage may vary. Hopefully, given our similarities in experience, things will turn out to be as satisfactory for you as they did for me.

Good luck.

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #18 of 43
you know what i feel it may be blue onion, practice with putting these in and out and getting a good seal. i find every time i put em in and out its a little different sounding. the tips especially make the sound very different.

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #19 of 43
Do your nozzles feel secure? A friend of mine had one of his break off, they weren't even a month old at the time. Westone replaced it right away, but it seems like it should have lasted longer than a few weeks.

Apr 7, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

you know what i feel it may be blue onion, practice with putting these in and out and getting a good seal. i find every time i put em in and out its a little different sounding. the tips especially make the sound very different.

I'm not sure if the difference can be attributed to fit. I used the shorter Comply tips exclusively, and had had a fair share of canalphone experience prior to my UM-2 purchase. Of course, that is not to say that fit doesn't make a difference, because it does, and a very significant one at that. However, given my experience, I would venture to say that fit is not all that is at work here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Danger
Do your nozzles feel secure? A friend of mine had one of his break off, they weren't even a month old at the time. Westone replaced it right away, but it seems like it should have lasted longer than a few weeks.

I've actually had not one, but several break off.

Westone was an absolute joy to deal with and advanced new pairs to me using overnight delivery.

If I remember correctly, they have since altered their manufacturing process with the use of a different adhesive to account for additional force applied to the nozzle. Any units purchased within the last few months should not have any problems whatsoever.

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #21 of 43
I find the closer the driver is to your drum the less treble and transparency there is. What I do is take the long foamies and rammen in nice and deep.

With both of them equally deep in your ears with the same amount of pressure, slightly bit by bit pull out tell you get a matched sound between both ears and a response you want.

Put them in nice and deep at first and let them sit and expand, then start pulling them out wich creates suction rather than pressure. Pressure in your ear gives muddiness, suction gives a cleaner signature.

A skillful little diagram for ya,

canal4pr.jpg

Apr 7, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 43
i'll be taking them to the library today on a fresh mind, lets see what happens.

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Ety triflanges will bring out the treble, but not as much as a pair of Ety's
etysmile.gif
As far as burn-in goes, I don't think armature drivers benefit much from it, if at all. The cables might change their sound, but not the drivers themselves; differences will be subtle. What may change the sound is "mental burn-in," i.e. taking some time out to get used to their sound. If after a few days you still don't like them, then probably they're not your thing.

This might be correct for the ER-6/6i, but the ER-4 has a dynamic driver, so it should benefit from burn-in just as much or little as all other dynamic earphones i guess ? !

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

i'll be taking them to the library today on a fresh mind, lets see what happens.

I'm telling you...get the ety triflanges...there is a huge difference

Apr 7, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 43
just ordered my er4p's, do those triflanges come with em?

Apr 7, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Affi75
This might be correct for the ER-6/6i, but the ER-4 has a dynamic driver, so it should benefit from burn-in just as much or little as all other dynamic earphones i guess ? !

That is incorrect, both ER-4 versions do not have dynamic drivers.

Apr 7, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

just ordered my er4p's, do those triflanges come with em?

You'll get 3 pairs of 'em
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #28 of 43
Where did you order from? iDealSound (www.discountheadphones.com) seems to have the best returnable price.

Is this right?

... about to leap...

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 43
I got mine used from Ebay for $200. They came with a full warranty, so I figured if something was wrong with them, I could simply use the warranty. As it turns out, there was nothing wrong with them.
etysmile.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
That is incorrect, both ER-4 versions do not have dynamic drivers.

All three are dynamic. Quote:

ER•4 Technical Specifications
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 16 kHz ±4 dB
Acoustic polarity: + electrical = + acoustic
Transducer type: dynamic
1 kHz sensitivity (ER•4B/ER•4S): 108 dB SPL for a 1.0 volt input
1 kHz sensitivity (ER•4P): 108 dB SPL for a .25v input
Impedance (ER•4B/ER•4S): 100 Ohms nominal
Impedance (ER•4P): 27 Ohms nominal
Maximum output: 122 dB SPL
Maximum continuous input (ER•4B/ER•4S): 3.0 Vrms
Maximum continuous input (ER•4P): .75 Vrms