My Grado's Sound Crap !
Feb 8, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I'd describe them as super smooth, no extra emphasis on any area, well balanced from bass to treble, and quite detailed. I'm sure a search will turn up tons of opinions on the 555.

:'( it was a toss up between the sr60's & hd555's - i went for the grado's as they are "supposedly" better for rock......i cant demo where i live so have to buy blind.....how are the 555's for rock ?

thanks.

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by istari_knight
Hi,

i recently bought some Grado SR60's - got them home plugged them in and....
confused.gif
They sounded awful ! "they need to burn in" i thought so they were left playing for around 72 hours.....they still sound awful !

grainy , harsh , bright , just plain bad !

Why do you think this is ? they are supposed to be good no ?

im using them through a sony headphone port but that shouldnt make any difference as they sound the same through minidisc etc...and are 32ohms so the amp shouldnt be a problem - the cd players good too - my hifi sounds fantastic through my speakers but these just arent right
frown.gif

any advice / help would be good....

thanks , James.

Hey I am a little confused - didn't you write the following...

Quote:

Okay - thanks for all the advice & i know so many have said senn555 but i demo'ed the sr60's and found them more suited to my music , i just found the senns a little boring ! i know......cloth ears or what ?

and ive already got upgraditis ! ive decided to save and get the best cans i can afford as the value for money seems so much better than speakers !

in the past ive demo'ed £1000 speakers and the gr60's whip them !

Thanks again !

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

:'( it was a toss up between the sr60's & hd555's - i went for the grado's as they are "supposedly" better for rock......i cant demo where i live so have to buy blind.....how are the 555's for rock ?

*shrug* Rock is too vague a term. I'd imagine that electric guitar solos sound pretty awesome on a Grado.

I've heard the 555 with Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, the Who, Beatles, Rolling Stones - I was very happy with the sound on all of them. Didn't color the sound much, just represented what was in the recording very well to my ears.

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 31
Okay thanks for all the input - its been flooding in !

I'm gonna keep the grado's but get some senns + a seperate amp.

my listening taste is mainly rock (why i got the grados) but am willing to try anything as i cant really play loud music at the moment ! dont worry i wont hold it against you if there not to my taste
smily_headphones1.gif

so can you recommend some senns for rock ? and whats better out of the little dot 2 & g&w tw-j1 ?

thanks again guys your a big help !

james.

ps. i listen to redbook cd's 90% of the time and LP2 recorded MD's the other 10 % (the grados sound better on my md than my amp !)

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih

Hey I am a little confused - didn't you write the following...

My father owns both (thats where i demod em) and yes the grados sounded better through his system but looking back it was a well produced cd that was used to demo & they sound pretty good with all well produced /mastered stuff but when you play something normal quality they get congested
confused.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

"I'd describe them as super smooth, no extra emphasis on any area, well balanced from bass to treble, and quite detailed. I'm sure a search will turn up tons of opinions on the 555. The SR60 is fun, but these sound a lot more like what I would imagine to be "hi-fi". Oh and the soundstage is pretty good, more than a Grado, but less than better Senns, Beyers, and AKGs."

In summary, Boring and analytical or unmusical.

Kidding, actually your post was pretty acurate, except for quite detailed. You will have to spend $$$ to get more detail, but Grado is king there.

To The Thread Poster:

I think you are expecting smoothness for way too cheap, you need to spend money to get the quality you want. Otherwise we'd all have $100 systems and be smiling
icon10.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 31
Ummmmmm WoW !

I've just plugged the sr60's into my laptop and BANG they sound amazing !

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ive never tried them through this port.....im assuming this means my md player + hifi port cant do low impedance's ???

Can you recommend a separate amp that looks good and sounds it (under £60 - ($100)) that will drive the grados....

thanks ! these really do sound brill but its a bit inconvenient !

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 31
rob , i know what you mean but in the uk the grados cost £80 and senn 555's cost £50 - crazy huh ?

i still want to get some higher end cans though......i guess this is where that "sorry about your wallet" comes in!

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
The Grado sound is not for everybody. Its like placing your head infront of a mesa cab, on-axis to the speakers. Some like others do not.

What is your source material? I've come across some 128 MP3s that were grainy and unrefined as you describe. Is it at all possible that the SR60 is revealing flaws in your source material?

My first Grados are the sr-125's and they did certainly reveal flaws in my lower bitrate ripped music, but I love the Grado sound
biggrin.gif

I had the 555's and took them back, they were comfortable but I love the Grado sound so much more.

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #27 of 31
I think the stock (comfy) pads on the SR60s sound horrible. Do try some more pads, and do try the Kramer(?) masking/electrical tape mod. Definitely tames everything and fattens the lower end.

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Ummmmmm WoW !

I've just plugged the sr60's into my laptop and BANG they sound amazing !

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ive never tried them through this port.....im assuming this means my md player + hifi port cant do low impedance's ???

Can you recommend a separate amp that looks good and sounds it (under £60 - ($100)) that will drive the grados....

thanks ! these really do sound brill but its a bit inconvenient !

There you go!! Amp / can / source synnergy is a very tricky thing. Nearly black magic IMHO. Its amazing some of the wierd combinations that really do work.

Amps for you to consider, and some street prices I have seen:
mint - $50
pimeta - $120-$200
cmoy - $50
govibe - $75
PA2V2 - $70
LD Micro - $50
meta42 - $100

I really like my mint, for $50 its hard to beat. IMHO at 18V it synnergizes well with both current and voltage hungry cans.

Next step up for me will be an 18V pimeta, or maybe a meta42.
Garrett

Feb 8, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #29 of 31
Thanks Garret , any idea where i can get a pimeta in the uk ?

I'm going to get an amp then when i get my payrise go for some rs2
rs1smile.gif

thanks everyone , crisis over !

James.

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Thanks Garret , any idea where i can get a pimeta in the uk ?

I'm going to get an amp then when i get my payrise go for some rs2
rs1smile.gif

thanks everyone , crisis over !

James.

Sure,

Not sure if Rockhopper audio ships overseas?
Might want to PM pinkfloyd...

Whichever you choose, make sure its set to a fairly low gain for Grado synnergy. Better yet would be a switchable gain design.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back