My Grados died and I want to try new stuff!
Apr 1, 2018 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

plastick

Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

My SR225i finally ate it after 5 years of faithful use. I love the speed and impact of the midrange on these for electronic music and would like to move in that general direction. Anyone here have experience with stuff in the $200-$500 range that has a similar sound signature? I'm scared of the 325s because everyone says they're too bright, and also worried I won't like the Senn HD598/600 because of people saying they sound "dead"?

Any and all input is appreciated! I get paid Friday, so I'm going to make a decision based on what you all tell me!

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi Plastick,

Only real good advice I can give you is...do lots of demos with a quality source you know very well, minimum CD quality & trust your own ears & opinions, no one else's.
That way, you know what you're looking for & will possibly like or dislike.
Sadly, there are too many on here who are too hung up about what others say & are convinced those same others are the only which matter, not even their own opinion.
So just demo as much as possible & make your own choice.

Here are some recommendations in no particular order to get you started :

Meze 99 Classics (If you have odd shape &/or large ears, glasses, stock pads may be a problem, recommend ZMF cowhide)
Meze 99 Neo
Sony WH 1000 X M2
Audio Technica MSR 7
Shure SRH 940

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 17
HD600 and HD598 are too analytical as compared to Grado. Maybe you can consider HD650 (if you still managed to find it because it is no longer in production). It sounds more lively and neutral.

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 17
I never heard the SR225, but after hearing the SR325 and above and owning the SR325IS, RS2i, and RS2e at some point, I can say that the best move is sticking to Grado with what you want in your listening.

With that said, the best upgrade for what you want at your spending range is the PS500. It is the warmest Grado I heard, but still keeps all of the details that Grado is known for and is the only on-ear I tried that will not sound sibilant with G-Cush (over-ear bowls) ear pads.

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 17
Hi Plastick,

Only real good advice I can give you is...do lots of demos with a quality source you know very well, minimum CD quality & trust your own ears & opinions, no one else's.
That way, you know what you're looking for & will possibly like or dislike.
Sadly, there are too many on here who are too hung up about what others say & are convinced those same others are the only which matter, not even their own opinion.
So just demo as much as possible & make your own choice.

Here are some recommendations in no particular order to get you started :

Meze 99 Classics (If you have odd shape &/or large ears, glasses, stock pads may be a problem, recommend ZMF cowhide)
Meze 99 Neo
Sony WH 1000 X M2
Audio Technica MSR 7
Shure SRH 940

Thanks for the info! I had a short period of time with the Sony WH1000XM2, and I was extremely impressed with the detail from a closed-ear set of cans. They remind me of the V6/MDR7506 but with more detail.

I also like the look of the Maze and would love to demo them, if I can find demo units locally

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 17
I never heard the SR225, but after hearing the SR325 and above and owning the SR325IS, RS2i, and RS2e at some point, I can say that the best move is sticking to Grado with what you want in your listening.

With that said, the best upgrade for what you want at your spending range is the PS500. It is the warmest Grado I heard, but still keeps all of the details that Grado is known for and is the only on-ear I tried that will not sound sibilant with G-Cush (over-ear bowls) ear pads.

Interesting. I had a short demo session with some original RS1s (early 2000s button model) and PS500, but neither had the source nor the songs that I wanted to try.

Out of the 325, RS2 and RS2e, which one is your favorite and why?

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 17
HD600 and HD598 are too analytical as compared to Grado. Maybe you can consider HD650 (if you still managed to find it because it is no longer in production). It sounds more lively and neutral.

My best friend is into music production and whatnot, and I'll be hanging out with him on Tuesday. He has the HD650, so I'll get a chance to demo them!

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 17
Interesting. I had a short demo session with some original RS1s (early 2000s button model) and PS500, but neither had the source nor the songs that I wanted to try.

Out of the 325, RS2 and RS2e, which one is your favorite and why?

The RS2e, as it had slightly more detail than the RS2i. The SR325iS treble started becoming unbearable. I eventually sold the RS2e to @Mshenay and he is now selling it for $275 as an Easter special, but if you PM him, he might just keep the price for you this weekend.

Also, don’t forget about the HD660, which is basically the HD650 sound in 150 ohms impedance (HD650 is 300 ohms).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the info! I had a short period of time with the Sony WH1000XM2, and I was extremely impressed with the detail from a closed-ear set of cans. They remind me of the V6/MDR7506 but with more detail.

I also like the look of the Maze and would love to demo them, if I can find demo units locally

All I can say is if you're happy with the 1000 X M2, go for it.

Sometimes too much choice isn't a good thing, the important thing is to have fun.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 17
My SR225i finally ate it after 5 years of faithful use. I love the speed and impact of the midrange on these for electronic music and would like to move in that general direction. Anyone here have experience with stuff in the $200-$500 range that has a similar sound signature? I'm scared of the 325s because everyone says they're too bright...

RS2e - $495 on Amazon.

...and also worried I won't like the Senn HD598/600 because of people saying they sound "dead"?

If you really like the SR225 then you might as well stick with the RS2e.

Part of why the Sennheisers are perceived to be "dead" next to Grados is that they have lower sensitivity and much higher impedance, so barring a high output impedance amp that makes Grados sound like tin cans (which is more of a thing with speaker amps' headphone outputs, not, say, OTL tube headphone amps), it's considerably harder to drive the HD600/650/6XX by comparison. The HD650/6XX have a smoother response curve albeit stronger below 1000hz, so that can make them seem like they have less detail, especially when the cymbals are getting hit.

You can try the HD600 with the Darkvoice DV336se - they won't make them too warm but being an OTL amp they're going to push a considerable amount of power into 300ohms. In case you decide to go back to Grado and get the RS2e, the higher sensitivity on the Grados will make up for the lower output at 32ohms. I haven't tried Grados and the DV336 but I've only ever heard them turn into tin cans on speakers amps' headphone outputs, and they're otherwise less affected by output impedance anyway.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 17
real talk though I've still got the RS2E at that price... I just found out the FLCL CD collection is on Amazon... and I must HAVES but it's pricey >.> SO TIME FOR A SALE

But seriously though, the RS2E is pretty solid! I'm only passing it on because my Custom's GradoStyle V7 build sounds a little better...

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 17
If you want to try new stuff (well old stuff actually HE-400 and 500) . I'll take the 500's over my RS1's all day long. They both will need more power though.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 17
If you want to try new stuff (well old stuff actually HE-400 and 500) . I'll take the 500's over my RS1's all day long. They both will need more power though.
RS-1 is tricky

First RS-1 non button I heard was shouty, the first one I owned was a little smoother but it had a button... non the less they are good! If you can find them. The RS1E is hit or miss apparently

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 17

I've spent a lot of time looking at the HE-400/500. I was scared away by the connectivity and cable issues they appear to have. Is that actually common-place or are Amazon people just ridiculous?

I will say, if they give me the essence of the Audeze LCD-X (the best headphones I've ever demo'd) at a $600 discount, I'd greatly consider them.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm currently sitting here listening to ATH-M50Xs and, while they're nice, I find myself having to EQ them because the lows are too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back