My Grado SR 125's Are Too Bright Now
Nov 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #33 of 46
Has anyone found a affordable solution on keeping the cable permanently connected?
I'm looking to better secure the connection since I tend to tug and pull on the cord over time.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone found a affordable solution on keeping the cable permanently connected?
I'm looking to better secure the connection since I tend to tug and pull on the cord over time.

Permanently connected to what? Grado cables (is this still about the SR125?) are soldered inside the earcups, unlike for example AKGs that have a miniXLR at the left earcup (or Sennheiser with those tiny, proprietary pins with tinier plugs).

If you meant soldering the other end of the table to the amp, that's a bad idea especially since you "tend to tug and pull on the cord over time," because then that means that it will either break the soldering which isn't as easy as "one, pick up plug! two, insert again! three, sit the hell back down!" since there isn't any plug, so you have to solder again. And when it doesn't break, the headphones can fall off your head or you pull the amp off the table.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #35 of 46
I'm looking for a way to keep the cable secure with the connection in the phones.
I'm tired of having to fix a broken connection.

Right now I'm thinking a big gob of glue (on the part of the cord inside the phone) to protect the connection when I accidentally pull on the cord. (the glue being bigger than the hole)
Or maybe a knot of electrical tape

I wonder if there Is a piece of metal I can cinch around the cord?
Grado's are so poorly designed. :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:
I'm looking for a way to keep the cable secure with the connection in the phones.

Right now I'm thinking a big gob of glue (on the part of the cord inside the phone) to protect the connection when I accidentally pull on the cord. (the glue being bigger than the hole)

I haven't broken the cable on the SR225 and SR80i. The construction is simple, but even the most expensive headphone will not survive if the user tends to "tug and pull on the cord" with enough force and if done often enough. I remove the cables on my HD600 all the time and supposedly that wrecks the inner conductor, but so far it's held up well since I pull the cable out (or push in) straight, and when I move I take care to not "tug and pull" it. I can stand up move around without any "tug and pull" either just by minding what I'm doing.

At best, you can mod the headphone with something like a locking miniXLR socket and plug (like on the AKG K702), but this will have to run a cable to the other side, or you use one on each earcup. Again though if you don't mind what you're doing a tough connection like that will react to a "tug and pull" action differently, like by taking a nose dive to the floor, and without a carpet you increase the likelihood of cracking the plastic cups on impact.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 46

Quote:

I haven't broken the cable on the SR225 and SR80i. The construction is simple, but even the most expensive headphone will not survive if the user tends to "tug and pull on the cord" with enough force and if done often enough. I remove the cables on my HD600 all the time and supposedly that wrecks the inner conductor, but so far it's held up well since I pull the cable out (or push in) straight, and when I move I take care to not "tug and pull" it. I can stand up move around without any "tug and pull" either just by minding what I'm doing.

At best, you can mod the headphone with something like a locking miniXLR socket and plug (like on the AKG K702), but this will have to run a cable to the other side, or you use one on each earcup. Again though if you don't mind what you're doing a tough connection like that will react to a "tug and pull" action differently, like by taking a nose dive to the floor, and without a carpet you increase the likelihood of cracking the plastic cups on impact.

Thanks, PM but I fear a minXLR socket and plug might be too expensive...I'll look into it.
I have many other HP's where I don't have this problem so obviously the actual wire connection is being tugged on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back