My Grado 225i review: 225i vs others
Mar 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 24
Very cool to hear about your 225i. I've had mine for a few months and really love them. I consider them somewhere between my various IEMs and my bedroom setup with Senn 600 and use the 225i out and about when practical. I do not like walking with IEMs and the Grados are not so big and they sound really good.

I'm going to do the 414 mod after reading your post, thanks.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want the same thing in a headphone, Grados are the only phones that do this for me, I am surprised you like the Ultrasones better after this statement.

The pro 750s are just superior, you can get them to sound forward just like the 225i do, hell...i think with the right EQ you can get the pro 750 to become ANY headphone you want to mimic...

the grado are clearer and more forward, but the pro 750 are just in a different league. Separation and bass on the pro 750 is just incredible. But, I enjoy the 225i more because of the forwardness, because its so awesomely light and far sexier than the pro750s

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pro 750s are vastly superior to the Grado 225i in every way.

It sounds to me the only thing you say the Pro 750 is superior to the Grado is bass, I doubt it is better in every single way especially when it's a closed back vs open headphones. I know they are probably your favourite can and I can understand why you rated as such.

To me the SR225 sounds more engaging than HD600 which can sound a bit boring to me for what I listen to (80% of my music collection is rock or acoustic) . It's too bad I never had a chance to try the SR225 on my upgraded source. Right now I wouldn't give up my RS1 for anything

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People say Grados are "shrill" because the highs are louder than the bass, lending to their bright sound. My experience with the SR60i though is that while the highs are accented they aren't "shrill". My KSC75 sounds shrill. My SR60i sounds detailed. There are some recordings when the upper spikes of my Grados can sound too bright and sharp, but for the majority of what I have it's just detailed. Detailed to the point where it might sound shrill to some.

I think people also think Grados are shrill because they don't pair them with a decent source. My SR225's improve exponentially (read: unlistenable -> quite pleasurable) when used with something as simple as an Alien DAC and a Fiio E5 (my stopgap office setup), being run off my work Macbook.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 24
Great review! I have, and always will, love my SR225is. Despite what others might say, they have very good bass. It might not be bountiful, but it's very defined and tight. Some criticize them for a narrow soundstage, but that's what makes them so intense. You don't buy a Grado for passive listening; they suck you into the music.

However, if you are looking for something with a wide soundstage, check out the ATH AD700.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people also think Grados are shrill because they don't pair them with a decent source. My SR225's improve exponentially (read: unlistenable -> quite pleasurable) when used with something as simple as an Alien DAC and a Fiio E5 (my stopgap office setup), being run off my work Macbook.

I agree. The SR225i really should be amped to sound its best. A simple hybrid tube amp will work wonders with both bass clarity and treble harshness.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 750 is not the best i own, i own many many more expensive sets i choose not to list. But, overall they are the best i have out of those in my sig and including the grado 225i.

[ ] True Story
[x] Fiction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back