My goal: Decent bookshelf speakers and a pair of good headphones. Need your help.
Jul 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eculley

New Head-Fier
I am coming from a simple logitech 2.1 system that is plugged into a asus xonar dg. I ordered a pair of DT770s and figured I'd go ahead and upgrade my desktop audio as well. So, I am looking to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers but I have no idea how I can power the speakers and headphone at the same time. Is there an amp that I can buy that will power both at the same time?

the speakers I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0040LG96O

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 8
For a lot less money, you could get the Dayton B652 Bookshelf speakers.

I have them, and with one simple modification of the tweeters crossover, they sound superb. 

I paired my b652's with the Polk 505 subwoofer and there is nothing I can say other than that its great, although the subwoofer is powered and doesn't exactly comply with your op, you should really consider it. 

Honestly, I don't really have experience with more expensive higher quality headphones, so I cannot help you in that area. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 8
So, I am looking to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers but I have no idea how I can power the speakers and headphone at the same time. Is there an amp that I can buy that will power both at the same time?

Depends on which headphones and what budget. Some AVRs have decent headphone output for mid to higher impedance headphones (not good for IEMs).

Also, if the speakers are for nearfield use, be sure to demo the Klipsch first. Many people find them fatiguing even in a full HT setup, much less for computer use where people tend to be more sensitive for that.

So what is your total budget for speakers, amplifier(s), etc. ? And any particular reason you are set on the Klipsch other than the popularity of their name?

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 8
For a lot less money, you could get the Dayton B652 Bookshelf speakers.

I have them, and with one simple modification of the tweeters crossover, they sound superb. 

I paired my b652's with the Polk 505 subwoofer and there is nothing I can say other than that its great, although the subwoofer is powered and doesn't exactly comply with your op, you should really consider it. 

My neighbor has the PSW505. Good sub. :)

Or even cheaper, I've heard good things about the Dayton subs for rounding out the low end of a desktop setup, depending on someone's budget.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I am coming from a simple logitech 2.1 system that is plugged into a Asus Xonar DG. I ordered a pair of DT770s and figured I'd go ahead and upgrade my desktop audio as well. So, I am looking to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers but I have no idea how I can power the speakers and headphone at the same time. Is there an amp that I can buy that will power both at the same time?
the speakers I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0040LG96O

You can always plug the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm into the computer case's front panel audio jack (green).
The Xonar DG's built in basic headphone amplifier should drive the 80-Ohms headphones well enough.
Not sure show much electrical noise the headphones will pick up plugged into the front panel jack.

You can always get a low cost external optical DAC, plug into the DG's optical port and the speakers into the external DAC ($46 on eBay, ships from China).

Or get the Sound Blaster Z, $80, comes with separate headphone and speaker jacks.

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Just came from a Logitech 2.1 set like you. Was a Logitech Z3, had for years and I though it was the awesome especially since I wall mounted them. Recently got an Asus Xonar Essence ST and it brought those babies to life. But just like you I needed something much more sophisticated and better.

So I got the M Audio BX5 D2 for $220 and these babies are heavenly. The bass is even pretty good. I will be adding a subwoofer to it later with the H6 add on card. If you have a big room the get the BX8. Plus these speakers are AMPED so need for external amplifiers. As for the field they fill the room well. Of course the sweet spot is where it's at.

If I were you I would upgrade the sound card. No matter how good your speakers will be that little Xonar DG won't cut it. Cheaper speakers with a better sound card will sound better than whatever you plug into the cheap card. Plus this sound card will bring out your headphones much much more.

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Hmm what is your max budget? If u want nice low end i would go with bookies and an active sub say 8-10"? Also consder used classic/vintage receivers - many have driven demanding cans with these and some have awesome headphone out sections ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back