My Go-Vibe v4 with AD8058 (and new caps)...
Dec 10, 2006 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
Just wanted to report my satisfaction with the mod - which includes the AD8058 in place of the former AD8397, plus new Panasonic FM 470uF/35V caps in place of the former 1000uF/25V FC's. All powered @ 12V.

This is my best Go-Vibe ever. Interestingly it's better sounding than both the modified and the standard v5. Specificly, it sounds more refined in the mids, cleaner and crisper overall (in particular, transients are sharper, as it should be), more transparent, without that mild treble coarseness; also, it's more natural in the bass, not restrained at all in dynamics and contemporarily quite articulate. The tonality reminds me of that of the AD45058/AD9631 modded v5, on the other hand; i.e. not the richest sound around but not the dullest either. Balance is quite neutral, excepting a slight lightfootedness (which is again shared with the modified v5, anyway).

Long live the 2 channel amps
eggosmile.gif
600smile.gif

Maybe later I'll post a pic
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 12
I have heard good things about the 8397. Did you try it with the new caps or was everything done at once? What is lightfootedness? Do you mean the music does not have as much weight or impact as it could have?

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm not even sure that I haven't invented a new word (again)
tongue.gif

lightfootedness = slightly lacking body, think of the electrostatic sound stereotype

The AD8397 can be made to sound great (I'm a fan of it rather than not) but apparently it just didn't like the Go-Vibe v4. It likes my modded v5 a little more, it appears.

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 12
Gordon Lightfootedness, smooth and folky. the folkystieniest

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not even sure that I haven't invented a new word (again)
tongue.gif

Do you speak geman? Because lightfootness sounds like a word-by word translation of the german word "leichtfüßigkeit"
icon10.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 12
My first interpritation of this "new" word was that the amp was fast and nimble rather than thin & light, as in dancers/boxers/athletes being light-footed.

I dropped an AD8937 into my Go-Vibe v.3b and thought it sounded pretty good actually, with good range and great impact.
However I prefer the less battery-hungry opamps in this unit as I depend on it's long battery life.

Did you try the 8058 without the cap change? If so, how did it sound?
How is the battery life?

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first interpritation of this "new" word was that the amp was fast and nimble rather than thin & light, as in dancers/boxers/athletes being light-footed.

I just searched a online dictionary and found that the adjective "light-footed" exists, less so my homemade noun apparently.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I dropped an AD8937 into my Go-Vibe v.3b and thought it sounded pretty good actually, with good range and great impact.
However I prefer the less battery-hungry opamps in this unit as I depend on it's long battery life.

As usual it depends on what you're looking for. I remember clearly how the amp in the original configuration left me unimpressed, even somewhat disappointed - it was dry and lacked transparency in the mids (my most valued frequency range
tongue.gif
); and the bass was not so tight as me likes.

As regards battery life, judge for yourself - the AD8058 draws about 14 mA at idle, the AD8397 about 18 mA; for reference, the LM6172 draws about 5 mA. What I think matters most is that sound wise, the 14 mA of the AD8058 are worth it!

Quote:

Did you try the 8058 without the cap change? If so, how did it sound? How is the battery life?

No, 'cause the caps really needed to be changed since the original ones weren't in good working order (...). That's the primary reason why I did it - for, in terms of sonic benefit, that of going from FC to FM seems marginal although it is there. As far as the theory goes, the FM caps I have used have a lower ESR @ 100 KHz and so are supposed to be faster. I didn't try powering the amp with batteries at all...

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you speak geman? Because lightfootness sounds like a word-by word translation of the german word "leichtfüßigkeit"
icon10.gif

Ahh... I'd like to but I don't.
redface.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

Derived in turn from the Dutch "lichtvoetig", of course.
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Heh, I told you the AD8058 sounded good Andrea...and to think you were sceptical of me! ;D

:p

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 12
I beg you pardon, sir.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back