My future super.fi 5 pro's will have no home! Unless...
Aug 25, 2005 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pooMonger

Head-Fier
Unless you help me find a DAP for these! I just sold my 4G iPod 20gb to damitamit! I've researched and researched, and have decided that the super.fi's are the IEM's for me (since i thought that the sound of the super.fi's would be closer to the sound signature of the DT770's than that of the E4C's). Which DAP will compliment and synergize with these puppies in the best fashion possible?

Size: 6GB+ (I will also take flash players into consideration, if the synergy is super good between the flash player and the super.fi's)
Battery Life: ~18+ Hours
Price: ~250 ( less is always good
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I have enrolled in Racquetball P.E. for my senior year in high school, so I'll be taking these to that class. So something compact would be nice, thus the willingness to look into flash players

Suggestions would be dandy!

-pooMonger
p.s. I hope it was okay that i also posted this in Portable Audio, for Double the Pleasure! Double the Fun!

P.P.S IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!! I will not be using an amp for my portable setup, due to the fact that i don't want two thingies in my pocket :p
So headphone-out or bust! Sorry!

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 11
Why did you sell your Ipod? The Super.fi rocks with both the standard and mini! Get a mini, but wait until the end of september and see if apple up the size to 8 or 10 GB.

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 11
iPod is your best bet with the super.fi 5 pros.

What people say about the iPod:
The bass is rolled off

What people say about the super.fi 5 pros:
They are a little too bassy

What people say about the super.fi 5 pros coming directly out of an iPod:
WOW!!!

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 11
LOL. The spec that you listed is the spec of the 2nd gen iPod Mini with 6G.

And I think UE desgined the superfi.pro specificially for iPod. Did you see the iPod/Mp3 ready thing?? Its bass bump is definitely to make up for the iPod bass roll off.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I sold the iPod because I needed something with more battery life. And I don't think i can wait until September! I need an mp3 player now! I have to go to my aunt's wedding reception up in Portland, Oregon next weekend, so yeah. I was initially looking at the iPod mini 6gb (thus the specs
biggrin.gif
) and the Rio Carbon Pearl 6gb. Both have great battery life, but it looks like all of you think that the iPod's bass rolloff and the super.fi's are super duper. Overall, I just want to experience what i experience every night sitting at my computer with my DT770's. If i can take that to the road, I would be quite a happy kid.

Aug 26, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Okay, i don't have these yet, so mind you this info is second hand, but my current "dream rig" that i'm saving up for is the iAudio X5L with the super.fi 5 pro's.
Forget iPod, iPod's are a rip off. You pay for the name and the design, but you get nothing in return.
If you're willing to go a little over your budget, take the iAudio... it has 20/30GB versions and if you take the extended battery version, you'll have 35 hours of battery life, and reading about the player on head-fi you'll find it's one of the players with the best sound quality out there.
It's been said here that its headphone out is very powerful so you won't need an amp either.
Add limited video playback, recording ability, color screen, USBOTG for connecting a digital camera, radio, picture viewer and frequent firmware updates, and i think you can't go wrong...

Aug 27, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 11
I wouldn't recommend the X5, as the bass is too intense with the sf5pros. I would never recommend the ipods or creative players... I say try and find a used iriver H120/140 or a H320/340.

If you don't mind an overwhelming, muddying bass then go with the X5. The shure E4's go perfect with the X5, on the other hand.

Aug 27, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 11
I think i have my heart set on the iAudio 5's. If the bass is ever too overwhelming, which i doubt it will be since i do have beyer 770 pros
basshead.gif
, I can always just eq those puppies lower in the lower range! So: Super.fi 5 pro's + iAudio 5's. If anyone does not want to see these two get married, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Aug 30, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 11
Regardless of what player you choose to use, it would be a bad idea to use it while playing racquetball. Lots of impact, and sound queues you should be paying attention to in a racquetball game (especially if you're a beginner and just learning to play, which i'm guessing you are :wink:. And it would be very inconsiderate to your opponents/partners to block them out!

Also, wear eye goggles! Racquetball is the only sport where you have a deadly combination for eye damage--the ball easily has enough momentum to crush an eyeball and is often moving towards you, and the ball is about the same size as an eye socket! (ie, a golf ball is directed away from you, and a baseball would have to crush your bone structure first)

Aug 30, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega
Regardless of what player you choose to use, it would be a bad idea to use it while playing racquetball. Lots of impact, and sound queues you should be paying attention to in a racquetball game (especially if you're a beginner and just learning to play, which i'm guessing you are :wink:. And it would be very inconsiderate to your opponents/partners to block them out!

Also, wear eye goggles! Racquetball is the only sport where you have a deadly combination for eye damage--the ball easily has enough momentum to crush an eyeball and is often moving towards you, and the ball is about the same size as an eye socket! (ie, a golf ball is directed away from you, and a baseball would have to crush your bone structure first)

lol that's very thoughtful of you to post Omega, but i'm a senior in high school. Thus senioritis has taken full swing on the run of things. Racquetball is a class that many older friends told me to take, since from experience, they knew it was a super easy class. ie. super ditchable and/or the ability to just use the extremely nice and fancy gym that the racquetball p.e. class is located in. So i'm probably just going to be either a) ditching class OR b) lifting weights. :p

p.s. My heart is very indecisive, and has thus set it's eyes on an iPod mini or a Rio Carbon Pearl (both 6gb renditions). I'm going to audition both players at Bestbuy (does anyone know if there are any demoes out to listen to at bestbuy?) since both are in stock at a local Bestbuy! Super.fi's should be here by friday since i overnighted them from Gateway on Saturday! Stoked!

-pooMonger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back