My funny little amp
Dec 16, 2005 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

This post actually won't be about headphone amps, so I hope you don't turn your back on me.
tongue.gif
It's about my Denon avr-2105, which is a 7 channel home cinema amp and it's used for exactly that purpose. However, just an hour ago, it said thanks and goodbye for the second time in only a month. I was watching a movie and after that one was done, I popped in another one. So far so good but after 5 minutes into the movie, I heard a loud crack, saw a flash of light behind one of the speakers and the amp went dead. THis is the second time this has happened now and it's getting annoying.

Any ideas what can cause this? The first time this happened, I spent the time while it was repaired to comb my cables to check for any wrong-doings they might contain and could find none. I even redid all the cables just to be sure everything was right.

Can I blame this on the amp and that it's badly repaired, or could it be the fault of me or my environment? Currently the Marantz cd-player stands atop the amp, but it's plenty of space for air to come out.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions for what could be wrong. I'd also like to add that these problems started just recently with the first failure and that the amp has performed flawlessly in the exact same setup for almost a year before that. I'm gonna turn it in for another repair, come monday.

Thanks for any suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 11
oh my gosh. i wouldn't even touch it, i'd take some fireplace tongs and insulating gloves and nudge it into the trash. that sounds really scary. is it worth repairing?

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Flash / crack from behind the speaker??? that sounds like faulty speaker. Maybe the speaker terminals are shorting? Or something in the speaker has shorted... turning your denon amp into an arc welder of sorts?

Even then you'd think the amp would have short circuit protection.... in the event that the speaker does short, it doesn't overload the output mosfets with current,,,????

Garrett

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 11
Seeing a flash behind the speaker is odd. I would guess a short at the speaker too.

I have a Denon 2802 and I've shorted the speaker leads on one of the channels and the amp instantly shut down into protection, no harm done.

Sounds like it's time for a new receiver.

Dec 19, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the replies guys. Well, there's still plenty of warranty on the receiver, so they won't give me a new one before it's gone haywire at least two more times. I checked the cables going to the speaker that I saw the flash from and I could find no reason for them to cross, and it seems a little strange to me that a speaker could short the receiver.

I'll have a chat with them tomorrow to discuss probable causes. My speakers are a poor Cerwin Vega AVS satelite system. I bought it just to have some measure of home cinema without spending too much money. I've been very pleased with it so far. Can't really fathom that it could be the speakers.

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 11
What do you know. I returned the Denon today to the shop and they just gave me a new amp! And they didn't have any more of the AVR-2105 so they gave me the new AVR-2106
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
What do you know. I returned the Denon today to the shop and they just gave me a new amp! And they didn't have any more of the AVR-2105 so they gave me the new AVR-2106
smily_headphones1.gif

WHOA!
eek.gif
Congrats!!!

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, good deal...don't blow this one up.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 11
I will try very hard not to! Maybe it's time to redo cables a third time.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 11
How are the wires going to your speakers terminated? If it's just a clamp with loose wires, and if they're poorly done, the loose wires can unravel sometimes and short inside the clamps (i have no clue what your set up looks like, so i won't make any other guesses ;P)

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 11
They are loose wires, but I have made the ends very short so as there is no possibility whatsoever that they can cross. It's just not possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back