My first wow moment...
Oct 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
Before I knew anything about headphones, I had a very memorable experience in a sound booth in Disney World. I believe the track was called 'Song of the Rainforest 3-D Sound Adventure'. Not only was the sound very realistic, it raised my hairs in fear. I could have sworn there was a growling leopard breathing down the back of my neck. The low end was definitely felt and won't forget that sensation. In recent months, I wondered which headphones they were - possibly custom made for the exhibit? After some searches, I seem to have found a photo of the booth revealing the audio equipment used (do you know they are?  - I think I do)

Source: Allears.net

If these were indeed the headphones used, I am completely amazed. The question is - how would I rate the experience these now that I'm familiar with high performing headphones? Regardless, I wish I can find a similar track to re-experience that moment. I guess quality of recording, source, and amp are major factors, too. Room itself may have played a role to complete the immersive effects. I have to admit, though I was thinking the headphones were Denons :)

If you have an opportunity to visit Disney's Animal Kingdom - do yourself a favor and find this little oasis and share with us your experience. The photo looks kind of old, so can't say for sure if the equipment is the same or remain consistent over the years.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Aren't those Koss Portapros? 
I'm not really surprised - Portapros ARE amazing.

I already owned an AKG k240 and Grado RS2i but after I heard the portapro I had to buy one. I still have not found anything that small and cheap (or even double the price) sound as good.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Something makes me think burn in is psychological because my Superlux HD681 sounded almost exactly like my previous crap pair of headphones. And then after a few minutes they completely changed for the better and I could almost hear god.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 9
My first wow moment was somewhere last month when I went to a fellow member's house and tried out my first true headphones. Started with the Shure SRH440 and then ended with the AKG Q701. I'm dying to get my first setup now. I hated to smile but the Q701 put a huge grin on my face. It felt nice to smile for something that was worth it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Something makes me think burn in is psychological because my Superlux HD681 sounded almost exactly like my previous crap pair of headphones. And then after a few minutes they completely changed for the better and I could almost hear god.

Sometimes I'm almost convinced our ears adjust to sounds very much like our eyes adjust to brightness, or the way the brain can turn our vision upside-down after a few days of wearing upside-down-mirror-glasses.
One day my Grados can sound bright and aggressive like opening the curtains and staring at the sun first thing in the morning, and the next day it's a bottomless well of warmth, delicate bass and refinement like walking through a properly lit Renaissance art gallery. 

Also I've noticed when I've got a cold I don't like bright headphones - could be something to do with the eustachian tube (going from the ear to the throat)... the ears are a funny old thing - probably the most difficult sensory organ to control, train and understand. 

Just to add to the list, my first jaw-dropping wow, was leaping from Sony earbuds to Grado SR60i. Changed my life.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 9
@HybridCore - it's really curious; you've been on headfi for over a year but your first 'wow' was last month - I'm genuinely intrigued! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back