My first vinyl experience
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

`danny

Head-Fier
Later today I am going to be pulling down my dad's old record player (it's a pioneer I believe) just to hear what records sound like. The first record I plan on listening to is The Wall by Pink Floyd. I have googled multiple ways on how to clean records but I was wondering if you guys preferred a certain way over the next. I was planning on just putting some distilled water on my microfiber cloth and cleaning it that way but I don't know if that is a good way. Thanks for all the help,

The Vinyl Noob

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 9
That's probably as good as you can get without using a record cleaning machine. As you probably found out there's a lot of interesting ways people like to clean and everyone thinks theirs works best.

BTW, there are a lot of other things that should be done on a turntable that can really influence the sound quality. Good luck but if you get less than you expected remember that records have come a long way since Pioneer made turntables.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 9
I've tinkered with vinyl but I'm not dedicated to it, so it sounds like I'm in a similar place with it.
I've used my canned air (computer duster type) to get dust out of the grooves, used only in short blasts.

Microfibre cloth is a good idea too, I'll pick one up to try next.

Whoops, hope this forum isn't for only TTV(&H)J people, if so please delete my response.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi,

If you find the vinyl experience to your liking, you may want to get a record brush and some vinyl zyme record cleaner. The Mobile Fidelity brush works very well both as a wet or dry brush and the pads are replaceable. TTVJ Vinyl Zyme is a very effective way to clean records and helps get rid of the ticks and pops caused by dirt, dust and mold/mildew. It is an enzymatic cleaner and is totally safe for vinyl, people and the environment.

A few tips - do not play your records until they are dry. Use distilled water as tap water can have enough particles in it to scratch a record. You can also make your own home brew for a cleaner using Isopropyl alchohol and 2 -3 drops of wetting solution in a gallon of distilled water. One 8 oz bottle of alcohol should be plenty and I would hesitate to use more than that.

Have fun with the vinyl and if you have any questions you can ask here or call. I'll do my best to be at this forum a lot more than I have been...

As for replying on this forum, I have no requirements and encourage anyone to reply and share their opinion. The only thing I frown on is someone advertising competitive products here... after all it is the TTVJ forum. So thanks for contributing MichaelPublic.

Todd

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reply Todd I guess I didn't have the ground hooked up properly on my Pioneer which is why it wouldn't spin lol so I will try it again tonight. I have a question though, my dad keeps saying vinyl does not sound better than cd is he correct?

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 9
I would challenge him to come and give it a listen in my listening room. I have a very good turntable setup and a very good cd player. I have yet to have anyone say the digital sounded better. There are occasional records where the cd was better produced and in those instances the cd does indeed sound better but in general a record in good shape will sound superior to cd.

It is interesting that most cd player manufacturers try to voice their players to sound more vinyl/real/organic like. CD players and cd's have come a long way from their humble/ harsh beginnings and are still getting better but they are still a step or two behind the best vinyl experience.

But your dad is your dad so his opinion MUST be honored. He is not wrong - it is just how he hears it.

Todd

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 9
I fondly remember my best friend and I at about 8 years old with my dad's record player (which is currently pumping out some Aerosmith ironically enough) listening to Aerosmith's 1980 Greatest Hits record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back