My First Turntable! Suggestions!? (under $500)
Feb 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chimmycham

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s, and would really love to try them with a turntable.

Could any of you suggest a good one for under $500?

For now I will be plugging it into my amp from the 1990s, which has a turntable, but the turntable is pretty messed up.
and
My Surround sound system, on a setting for music.

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 2
Since nobody else has responded, I will take a stab. Generally speaking, every under $500 turntable on the market is just so-so. Yes, they play music, but at quite an expense of using compromised materials and compromises in design. I would take a very hard look at something like this http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-thorens-td-166-mk-ii-in-bold-rosewood-finish-restored-upgraded-2013-01-26-analog-15241-upper-saint-clai-pa. I have no connection whatsoever with this guy, though I have traded some email with him before. He is always acquiring, rebuilding, and then selling used Thorens tables and if you contact him, he will likely keep an eye out for something in your price range or perhaps he already has something sitting around. With a table like this, you are getting something solid, that will last a lifetime, and could always be sold without taking a very big hit.
My other suggestion would be the Rega RP-1 at $450. I prefer it over the ProJect stuff, and I've owned two Project tables, an RPM5se that I sold and a Debut that I gave to my son. The Rega is a very good value and makes very nice music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back