My first thread, I need advice!
Aug 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

altairantares

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this is my first post! Can you help me, please?

I'm looking for an mp3 player with an amazing sound quality. Other features are minor.

I live in Italy, I have a budget of about 150 € (about 170 $, I think).

I am torn between few models:

- fiio x1 (I've read something about it, it seems to have a very good sound quality, I like how it looks, but it has a very short battery life. Fiio x3 could be a good alternative, but it's more expensive, maybe over my budget);
- colorfly c3 (it seems to be very similar to fiio x1, honestly, I don't like it so much);
- cowon m2 (cowon devices always fascinate me, although I have never tried one of them. Good fact, it has a very long battery life, about 90 hours);
- cowon x9 (huge battery life, over 100 hours, more expensive, but still within my budget. It seems to belong to a higher-end, but I'm not sure about this);
- xduoo x1 (quite cheap, good sound quality, I don't like it, but it might be worth).

Kindly, help me to choose! I found these alternatives, if you have other ones, please, tell me.

Again, I'm looking for the the best possible sound quality with my budget.

Thank you very much, guys!

Ps I hope that my english is correct and understandable :asd:

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 16
I'd go for the Fiio X1. Then grab one of these so you can recharge it on the go: http://www.amazon.it/Anker-Generazione-Caricatore-portatile-Tecnologia/dp/B005QI1A8C/

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 16
Definitely go for the sale section, for a 1st buy it's non-sens to buy new only to discover you like it or not...if you're happy with what Youu bought it's great, if you don't like it you haven't spend too much, so you're happy too and can sell it again...that's what we call a win-win-win situation !

Another tip, Ibasso DX50 second hand goes for around 130 euro I think, and it's a great player.

Cheers

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm looking for an mp3 player with an amazing sound quality. Other features are minor.
- fiio x1 (I've read something about it, it seems to have a very good sound quality, I like how it looks, but it has a very short battery life. Fiio x3 could be a good alternative, but it's more expensive, maybe over my budget);
- colorfly c3 (it seems to be very similar to fiio x1, honestly, I don't like it so much);
- cowon m2 (cowon devices always fascinate me, although I have never tried one of them. Good fact, it has a very long battery life, about 90 hours);
- cowon x9 (huge battery life, over 100 hours, more expensive, but still within my budget. It seems to belong to a higher-end, but I'm not sure about this);
- xduoo x1 (quite cheap, good sound quality, I don't like it, but it might be worth).
Kindly, help me to choose! I found these alternatives, if you have other ones, please, tell me.

FiiO X1 is a good player (I was able to use one for 10 days).
I also like Sony players, I use an older model Sony E474 (used ones go for $50-$60).
The older Sony E series do not play FLAC files, but i like their sound and they have a long battery life and they are small.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 16

FiiO X1 is a good player (I was able to use one for 10 days).
I also like Sony players, I use an older model Sony E474 (used ones go for $50-$60).
The older Sony E series do not play FLAC files, but i like their sound and they have a long battery life and they are small.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, sony players with european firmware have very low maximum volume, and generally I don't like them too much.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 16
Ok, I'm going to buy fiio x1 + amp e11k.

I would like to buy also a pair of iem or headphones. Which one should I take, in your opinion? I can't spend more that 50€ for them.

For example, I was thinking about xiaomi pistons 3, or superlux hd681 evo. Any better alternative?

Thanks everybody!

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Look into the ihifi 770 - uses a Wolfson dac, sounds closer to an x3 if not better. Two h/o and plenty of eq settings to tailor your needs.

Cheap too!

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #15 of 16
No need to purchase an amp for the X1. Kinda defeats the purpose. The fiio has a lot of power for its size and you could end up distorting its sq. Invest in really a good set of iems instead. Have a look at trinityaudio or RHA for phones that pair great with the X1. IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back