My first thread- How head-fi has helped me to develop my music taste
Nov 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

areek

100+ Head-Fier
Hello folks,
This is my first post in the forums, so I'll introduce myself first. I am Areek, 24, a med student in Bangladesh. I am a compatititve gamer (I play COD4) & always in persuit for newer & better music & listening experiance. I have taste in almost all kinds of music as long as it sounds good. Not even 2 years back, I used to use cheap generic IEMs & Cosonic headphones for music listening & playing games. But around 2 years back, I started to look for something better to suit my needs, & then google searches brought me to Head-FI forums. One read through a specific forum post about the Panasonic HTF600 & I was sure that I would be getting the headphones. & that changed everything. After using it for a few days & getting it all burnt up, I knew that the guys in Head-FI are the best people to get suggestions & advices from. & a few months later, on last october, I got my first studio monitors- the Shure SRH440 along with a Fiio E6, both highly regarded in head-fi. Then I felt that my PC deserved a better sound card & the Xonar STX was on top of the list here, so got that as well & that was another amazing decision. & yesterday, I got myself the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250ohm with a Fiio E11 & a Sansa Clip+. All thanks to you guys. I hope you guys will guide me again whenever I go for an upgrade in the music section.

My current gears-
Headphones- Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250ohm, previously had Ultrasone HFI 580, Shure SRH440, Panasonic HTF600

IEM- Monoprice 8320 & Soundmagic E30, previously had the E10

Amps- Sansui A505 solid state amp(maybe around 20 years old)
           Portable- Fiio E11, previously had the E6

Sound card- Asus Xonar STX

Portable music player- Sandisk Sansa Clip+

Head-Fi is awesome :D

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 15
Great to hear your success stories! Looking forward to seeing you in the forums :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 15
welcome to head fi, i am sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Nice! How do you like Dolby headphones for gaming?

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 15
Nice! How do you like Dolby headphones for gaming?

Heya. I previously used a creative HS800, which was not bad, but I would prefer stereo headphones with big soundstage for gaming. Razer Megalodon, Steelseries 7H are quite good though, from what I've heard. Never tried them myself.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 15
Ohh, I was just thinking about Dolby headphones which your sound card delivers. Through stereo headphones of course.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Ohh, I was just thinking about Dolby headphones which your sound card delivers. Through stereo headphones of course.

Oh that feature....well IMO it completely distorts the sound. I never use it. It gives a feeling of surround effects, but changes the sound a lot, in a bad way. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Not even for gaming? I have always found it to be pretty nice. Music is ofc no go.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Not even for gaming? I have always found it to be pretty nice. Music is ofc no go.

They sounded so horrible during music, never changed the settings during gaming. But I'll try em n get back to you tomorrow

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 15
DH is made for movies and games after all. Personally, I really like the sound samples I have heard from cmss-3d over dolby headphones. Anyway, remember to choose 5.1 sound in the in-game settings while using dolby headphones.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 15
  DH is made for movies and games after all. Personally, I really like the sound samples I have heard from cmss-3d over dolby headphones. Anyway, remember to choose 5.1 sound in the in-game settings while using dolby headphones.

Well I tried it & it sounds really bad. It feels like I am in a hallroom where every sound I hear is coming from far far away, even when I am firing. Changed back to normal settings. CMSS 3D was far better than this.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 15
Just hearing so much good about virtual surround you know.. Especially for competitive gaming. You could try the DH1 setting, you are probably using DH3. That should reduce echo effect and reverb. On the other hand virtual surround doesn't work good for everyone for reason I'd like not to touch as ti could be quite lengthy.. Whatever... Enjoy head-fi 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back