My first synthesizer
Feb 20, 2008 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iPatcH

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm contemplating using my refund money this year to invest in a synthesizer to pursue the other half of my music hobby.. that is, making it!

I'm thinking I will probably have between $300-600 to drop and I'm considering the MicroKorg. It has tons of features, all sorts of ways to hook it up to my computer to midi sync with my laptop, amongst a few other things.

Does anyone else here have any ideas or suggestions as to what I should look into, synth-wise? I really love analogue stuff... like the TB-303 (alas, getting one of those is but a pipe dream of mine).

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 10
The Microkorg is an awesome bit of kit, and it used live by many artists.
However, right now the Moog Little Phatty is out, which is a REAL MOOG, and pretty much the cheapest 'proper synth' they ever made - might be worth really saving up and splashing out -- it'll have a far better resale value, more 'real' sound, and infinate truckloads of MOOG cool!

http://www.gearwire.com/media/little-phatty.mov

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Oh wow... that is great!

What a fat sound it makes. I feel all gooey inside just listening to it. Unfortunately, it seems it's close to 3-4x the price range I'm in. D:

I'm still open to some other suggestions though. Don't hesitate!

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 10
I'd also say save for the Moog, but the MicroKorg is indeed a fantastic little synth. Both can work as a midi controller, so you'll get extra value that way if you use it in a program like Reason. No point going overboard for your first instrument though. The MicroKorg is no slouch by any stretch of the imagination and has a lot of great sounds in its bank. The vocoder is the icing on the cake.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Are you planning for the MicroKorg to be your only keyboard, because the MicroKorg as interesting as it is has only 4 voice polyphony and have those mini keys. Playing chords will be a challenge.

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Mini-keys is a good point. I'm sure it's something you can adjust to, but in the few times I've gotten to play with it, it did seem a little trifling... then again, that might just work out to it's advantage depending on the style of play. Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the keys are pressure sensitive either, not usually a big deal on a polysynth, but it could work out to be a hassle if you plan on using it a lot as a midi-controller in software synthesis.

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Ahh, so is there anything else similar in its price range that does not have said minikeys? I'd like to be able to play and/or record on the fly without too much struggle.

Feb 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 10
p.s. if any of you know where I can get ahold of a Roland TB-303 sans ebay I would give you a big kiss.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 10
The Little Phatty is awesome and also made meel gooey inside when I tested it out in a store a while back.
However, the Microkorg is a totally different sound. It's much more versatile I'd say with more 'vintage' style
presets etc. I'm sure you've made up your mind by now though.

What did you end up getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back