My First Stero /w pics! Suggestions Needed
Feb 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

CaseJ

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Well i finally got my speakers and amp in the mail ! This is my first stero setup after leaving the HE-60 i sold a little while ago. I really had a lot of fun building this system with my father and it is great to be able to demo something before you buy it. I really like the sound of these planar speakers and i went a little older so i could get some with the true ribbon tweeter instead of a quasi-ribbon setup. Before i post the pics please if you see anything that doesn't look right say something im really new to stero's and wouldn't be suprised if i hooked something up wrong.

Stero001.jpg

Stero002.jpg

Stero003.jpg

Stero004.jpg

Stero005.jpg

Stero006.jpg

Stero007.jpg

Stero008.jpg

Stero009.jpg

Stero010.jpg

Stero011.jpg

Stero019.jpg

Tell me what you think! Also what would you upgrade first?, Im assuming source which im really looking to go vinyl.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 13
With Maggies, they're dipole so you can tune how much bass you want by adjusting the distance from the rear wall. You want to also keep them as far away from sidewalls as possible since placing them too close to any walls on the sides can lead to distortion (Bigger problem with Maggies and MLs than regular dynamic speakers). Other than that, beautiful set-up! Congrats on your new rig.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 13
nothing some strategically placed bass traps couldnt fix if you are unable to position them as needed.

PS... lookin very good! You are either single or your wife really loves you for some reason as those aren't exact low profile and beautiful to look at.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Dipoles cancel to the sides, so they're relatively easier to place close to the side walls than monopoles. It's the rear wall you need to watch out for. General rule is at least 3 feet from all walls so that the rear wave is processed by your ears as reverb rather than direct sound.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Maggies, they're dipole so you can tune how much bass you want by adjusting the distance from the rear wall. You want to also keep them as far away from sidewalls as possible since placing them too close to any walls on the sides can lead to distortion (Bigger problem with Maggies and MLs than regular dynamic speakers). Other than that, beautiful set-up! Congrats on your new rig.

Thanks guys im really enjoying them. As for the dipoles would you mind explaining what they are and such? Ive never heard of them before.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Incredible! Those are the 3.6 right? I had a wonderful time listening to them a few months ago. How well does your integrated tube amp drive them? I listened using a ML No.383 (100W/ch/8ohm) and found the sound slightly constrained during loud, complex passages. However, I was amazed by the massive three-dimensional soundstage and crystal clear sound. I'm jealous
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 13
Very nice setup! I always thought that stats were so cool. There is another member (i don't recall who at the moment) that has a pair of the Bob Carver electrostats. I fondly remember listening to those in person with a Carver reciever and would have bought if I had a place big enough for them at the time :/

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi,
Are those 3.3r's? If so, I have the same and they are fantastic! I notice that you have your crossovers hard pin connected to the inputs, and hanging in the air. I was never brave enough to do this and left mine on the floor behind the panels. Later I built a shelf across the "feet" and mounted the crossover on that to carry the weight. Magnepan supports this model and their service is super. I had mine factoy freshened this year. How many watts are you driving them with? Good luck and enjoy!

RA

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incredible! Those are the 3.6 right? I had a wonderful time listening to them a few months ago. How well does your integrated tube amp drive them? I listened using a ML No.383 (100W/ch/8ohm) and found the sound slightly constrained during loud, complex passages. However, I was amazed by the massive three-dimensional soundstage and crystal clear sound. I'm jealous
tongue.gif

Hey,
They are actually 3.5's but they have same true ribbon tweeter as the newer 3.6's. As for the amp its a rogue audio tempest II magnum, Its rated at i think ~90 watt which for me works just fine i listen at about 70%. Ive heard other people say that you need more power but i would really like to get a rogue 99 preamp so i have phono and more power. I love the soundstage on them because when you listen and close your eyes you have no idea where the speakers are. Here is a link to the amp specs http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Tempest.htm

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLENR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
Are those 3.3r's? If so, I have the same and they are fantastic! I notice that you have your crossovers hard pin connected to the inputs, and hanging in the air. I was never brave enough to do this and left mine on the floor behind the panels. Later I built a shelf across the "feet" and mounted the crossover on that to carry the weight. Magnepan supports this model and their service is super. I had mine factoy freshened this year. How many watts are you driving them with? Good luck and enjoy!

RA

Actually these have support bars which i took some pics of. I really wonder how that works with power becasue i heard of people running a lot more power but its a reciever and not a tube amp so i wonder if its the same or not

SNB10121.jpg

SNB10122.jpg

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Great system! Maggies are great. I have smaller ones and I keep mine at least 3 feet from the back and side walls. Also depending on your room, you may want to try experimenting a bit when it comes to tweeter placement.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 13
I have the Maggie 1.6QRs and love them. From a WAF perspective, it's nice that they're so easy to slide in and out of position. I move them well out away from the wall when I'm listening, but right up against the wall when I'm not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back