My first stereo reciever
Nov 22, 2012 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spillages

Head-Fier
Super stoked, Received this as a freebie from the CEO at work. Sort of a thanksgiving present. I know nothing about home audio.

What can you guys tell me about this? Also what kind of speakers do I need to be looking at for it?

IMG_20121121_155723.jpg

IMG_20121121_155924.jpg

IMG_20121121_160028.jpg

IMG_20121121_160116.jpg

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 8
U have a VSX-26TX on your hands as stated here
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-26TX
According to specs it is fine to drive speakers with 6 ohm impedence so i'd stick to 6-8 ohms speakers and avoid 4 ohm ones? Beyond that it's up to you if u are planning a 2.0 or 5.1 set up as per your budget :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 8
That's a nice receiver though it's funny now seeing all those  s- video connections (which have obviously been replaced  by HDMI).  You can pretty much use any 'normal' speaker you find.  And most 'normal' speakers are 8 ohm so...

If you wanted to move up to digital too you could add an OPPO blue ray which is a fist class blue ray, SACD, HDCD, etc etc etc player which also has multi channel audio out - but that is probably way beyond what you'd be looking for.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Super stoked, Received this as a freebie from the CEO at work. Sort of a thanksgiving present. I know nothing about home audio.
What can you guys tell me about this? Also what kind of speakers do I need to be looking at for it?

Did you have a budget for speakers?
You might get some great advice for this on Head-Fi.
but you might as want to post on the websites AVSforum & AVforum.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 8
If you have a decent budget, pair this receiver with Pioneer's own SP-FS52 floor standing loudspeakers, which were designed by Andrew Jones (designer of the TAD Reference One, a $80,000 pair of loudspeakers). These are well within a $300 budget for loudspeakers and a great bang-for-the-buck. 

destroysall.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 8
Resurrection of this thread. 

This receiver has been sitting in storage for the past year as I just bought myself my first house. Figured that was a wiser purchase than some speakers. Well, I don't have ANY audio inside the house aside from my headphones collection.

Looking at the SP-FS52, I also see the SW-8MK2. I am a big fan of bass in my music, occasionally I have been known to turn up the bass so that it is overpowering and shakes things from the walls. Now that I have my own quiet place with brick walls and decent side yards between me and the neighbors, i'd also like to get a very high powered subwoofer for those times that I want to play it loud. More times than not, I will be playing at moderate to low levels, but I want that bass there for when I really feel the need. Will this be able to power something of that caliber, or do I need to look at an external amplifier?

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 8
No receiver is going to push a subwoofer the way you are describing. I have a two-channel amp in my home office to power a small passive sub and two bookshelf speakers, but I'm sitting five feet from them and don't need a lot of volume.

That's a decent receiver sound-wise. Pioneer Elite line is solid, there's no shame in that game. I would get yourself a pair of small bookshelf speakers (the Pioneer Andrew Jones line mentioned above, or maybe Polk Monitor 40s) and a powered subwoofer in the $250-$300 range. You'd be surprised, you can get some major sound out of $400 worth of speakers if you choose right.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 8
No receiver is going to push a subwoofer the way you are describing. I have a two-channel amp in my home office to power a small passive sub and two bookshelf speakers, but I'm sitting five feet from them and don't need a lot of volume.

That's a decent receiver sound-wise. Pioneer Elite line is solid, there's no shame in that game. I would get yourself a pair of small bookshelf speakers (the Pioneer Andrew Jones line mentioned above, or maybe Polk Monitor 40s) and a powered subwoofer in the $250-$300 range. You'd be surprised, you can get some major sound out of $400 worth of speakers if you choose right.

+1

Not to mention that most subwoofers in this budget range have their own amplifier anyway. It's kind of hard to find a passive subwoofer these days.

Also, the SW-8MK2 is a small 8" subwoofer. You should probably be looking at a 12" subwoofer if you want room pounding bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back