my first review: PSB M4U2
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DDCT

New Head-Fier
Aloha,

This is my first proper review post.   As I mentioned in my introductory post, I had considered several pairs, eventually narrowing down my choices to three finalists: B&W P7, V-Moda M100, and the PSB M4U2.  
I wanted a set of closed back, high performance, neutral cans.  Noise cancelling was not a feature on my "needs" list.  All three were available at the local Best Buy.  I did also shop at a local high end boutique, but the stack of Best Buy gift cards in my pocket helped guide my decision.

PSB M4U2, purchase price $299.99.   A hundred dollars off, combined with a stack of gift cards from last Christmas, these only cost me $20.00 of my own money!

Initial impressions, based on short, in-store listening sessions (over multiple visits):
Fingerprint magnets, nice styling though polycarbonate similar to Beats, super comfortable / light weight.   Accurate definition of soundstage and instruments though not completely neutral balance, a little “hot” in the upper midrange (snare drum, guitar) as compared to others.  Female vocals (Natalie Merchant, Fiona Apple, Suzanne Vega) were breathtaking.  Kick drum deeper and better defined than V-Moda or B&W.   Built in amplifier added value, a little “muscle” to the bass guitar and drum. Other contenders: Bowers and Wilkins P7,  Bose Quiet Comfort 25, Skullcandy Navigator, Grado 80s, V-Moda M100, Marshall Monitor, Skullcandy Aviator.  All testing with iPod Classic 160, 320kbps MP3.  A spreadsheet helped me keep track of models, impressions over the weeks.

Lengthy playlist for auditioning - highlights include
"Suyafhu Skin . .. Snapping the hollow Reed", David Torn
"San Andreas Fault", Natalie Merchant
"Herne", A Forest of Stars
"Solidify", Sheryl Crow
"Hold Me Back", AC/DC
"Xtal", Aphex Twin
"The First Taste", Fiona Apple
"Gravel Chime", Batillus
"Descending", The Black Crowes
"Duende", Bozzio / Levin / Stevens
"Cafe Reggio", Zachary Breaux
"Into My Arms", Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
"Sean Flynn", The Clash
"Nasty", The Damned
"Blue In Green", Miles Davis
"Misanthrope", Death
"The Way Home", Devin Townsend Project
"Highway Robbery", Dillinger Escape Plan
"Eyes of the South", Down
"Trouble Every Day", Frank Zappa & Mothers of Invention
"Slateman", Godflesh
"It's So Easy", Guns and Roses
"Where Eagles Dare", Iron Maiden
"Who Knows", Hendrix / Band of Gypsies
"Into Dust", Mazzy Star
"Blackheart", Motorhead
"Sometimes", My Bloody Valentine
"Central Reservation", Beth Orton
"Cop an Attitude", Poison Idea
"Driven To Tears", The Police
"No Use in Crying", Rolling Stones
"Vital Signs", Rush
"Anymore", Savatage
"Stand Up and Be Counted", Saxon
"Problems", Sex Pistols
"Walking", Steve Tibbetts
"Freedoom", Voivod
"Volcano", Voivod
"Kentucky Avenue", Tom Waits
"Bird Out of Cage", Eberhard Weber

Long term impressions: based on a month of use, 3-4 hours per day

Comfort: lacking. 2/5   Initially these felt very light and comfortable, especially compared to the V-Moda M-100.  After 30 minutes, the clamping pressure around the ears and top of head is almost unbearable.  No adjustment.  These weigh substantially more than the Bose QCs, but sound substantially better AND can work without NC mode enabled.  After continued use, I am getting used to the weight / feel.  Some days I can go for a few hours without complaint. “CHOKER” effect when wear around neck. I do not do this as a fashion statement, but at times where I am “required” to remove them such as manufacturing floor, machine areas at work.
   1. Bose Quiet Comfort 25, 2. B&W P7, 3. Marshall Monitor, 4. PSB M4U2 

Build quality:2.5 – 3.0 / 5
Fingerprint magnets suspicion confirmed.  Very plasticy ala Beats,  worries about long term survivability of wiring through hinges. "Notch" around cable connection area is a nice touch.  Cables – rubber feel, some microphonics.  Mic / control button feels “cheap”, no in line volume control. One weire anamoly with the cable - when using the mic/remote, a single press to pause (or the first click of a double click) sounds like a small "spike".  Inline volume control would be nice.  The "M" or "monitor" button is a nice touch when in noise cancelling mode.
  1. V-Moda M100, 2. B&W P7, 3. Marshall Monitor, 4. PSB M4U2 

Styling: Fair, 3/5
The polycarbonate look is reminiscent of the much maligned "Beats".  Fingerprint magnet status confirmed.
   1. V-Moda, 2. B&W P7, 3. Marshall Monitor, 4. PSB M4U2

Travel case: 2/5.  huge, inadequately compartmentalized.   No cable management system for two cables, no pockets for small parts (adaptors).   "Cargo net" - is this supposed to hold the headphones, or the cables?  Not suited well to the cables at all.   By comparison, the Skullcandy travel case was so small, I was worried about damaging the cans when repacking.
  (no ranking preference, I did not check the cases for V-Moda or Marshall or B&W)

Accessories: 3/5.  For $400.00, they BETTER come with airplane and phono plug adaptors. Not sure what the supplied carabiner is for.  Microfiber cloth is nice to remove finger prints. As soon as you touch them again, the prints will be back.

Sound quality: excellent.  5/5
Sub bass clean, tight, extended, no trace of boominess. 
Midbass – punchy, not overbearing
Midrange – crisp, defined.
High end – superbly detailed.
  1. PSB M4U2, 2. B&W P7, 3. V-Moda M100, 4. Marshall Monitor

These sound better out of the box than on the Best Buy demo wall. The switching relays used in the demo system were introducing a nasty hum into the system.  The amplifier, well, amplified the hum, whereas the "noise cancellation" feature seemed to shift the phase of the hum so that it sounded "front-right" and "rear-left".  I have heard the occasional very faint hum of amp noise but cannot duplicate.

With music I have listened to hundreds of times on multiple systems (home theater, several high end car systems, other headphones, PC with powered speakers), I am hearing details I have never experienced before.  Compelling. Amplifier engaged adds definition and widens soundstage. Individual instruments seem more  . . . separated from the others.   Leonard Cohen's "Famous Blue Raincoat" was an ear opener.  The gentle tinkling of bells at the opening were previously unknown to me. The female backing vocals were absolutely gorgeous, though at one point it sounded like the backup singers were "low", vertically not mix wise.   I got through the entire Clash discography - thoroughly impressed.  "Washington Bullets" bassline was "perfect".  The drums were accurately rendered - tight, snappy snare drum, precise cymbals with no sibilance.  The guitars and percussion were prominent in the mix and not muffled or muddled.   "Hunter" from Bjork's Homogenic CD has a massive bassline that was tight, deep, controlled.   Dense, layered mixes such as Devin Townsend's "Addicted" were effortlessly rendered without any lack of composure.  Devin Townsend's "Ghost", particularly the track "Feather" was stunningly beautiful.  I was on the edge of tears, I was at work, and yes it was embarassing.  Electronic music is delivered with authority: Front 242, Cabaret Voltaire, Aphex Twin all came through without any hint of the PSB losing their cool.  Depeche Mode - "Condemnation".  CRISP.   Iron Maiden's "Brave New World" CD was truly a revelation, as I have listened to this back to front hundreds of times.  Delicate harmonics I had never heard floated just above the crunchy triple guitar wall.  Nicko McBrain's drum kit has never sounded so huge (besides at Madison Square Garden).  

Noise Cancelling: (unrated)
I have never owned other noise cancelling units and do not have an accurate reference.  I did put them through the paces anyway.  My go-to in ear phones (UE 350i) block as much noise as the PSB cancel.

Noise cancelling test #1 – grocery store. (PASS)
Shopping cart noise gone
Frozen foods – large coolers noise not 100% gone but drastically reduced.
Chatty shoppers – greatly reduced

Noise cancel test #2 – the escalators (PASS)
At work, 2nd floor landing between four large escalators – without noise cancelling the sound is completely drowned out. With noise cancel on – barely audible

Noise cancel test # 3 – the "tunnel" (FAIL)
Driveway/roadway under building, exposed on three sides. Very noisy, difficult to make phone calls. Constant vehicle traffic, tow motors, etc.
When a large vehicle passed by in this area of un-friendly acoustics, there was an audible “whoosh” sound that lingered a few moments before dropping off sharply. Weird. When a tow motor pulling two metal containers rumbled past, noise cancelling was no match and was seemingly 100% ineffective.

Noise cancel test #4 – the power plant / roadway (PASS)
Walking past a small power plant, driveway also has frequent large vehicle / flatbed traffic.  Noise was greatly reduced,  big rigs rolling by also were barely audible.

Noise cancel test #5 – the meeting (FAIL)
30+ employees pouring out of a nearby conference room rendered the noise cancelling useless.

Noise cancel test #6 – the copy machine (PASS)
Successful elimination of all sounds from nearby copier running constantly

Noise cancellation hit or miss – constant nearby telcons, phone conversations, chatty coworkers.  Effective against some but not all.  Seems to block lower frequencies, midrange / high sneak through.   Noise cancelling does slightly change the sonic signature of the cans - hard to describe accurately.  I first notice a slight shift in phase of the midrange frequencies, and depending on the source material, a little "colder" sound.  

Amplifier / noise cancelling notes:
Amplifier adds muscle and definition to bass guitar and kick drums: Rush, Moving Pictures Side 2.  Geddy Lee's bass has never sounded so massive to me.  Amazing level of detail and resolution.

Amplifier use occasionally adds low level “hiss” – only noticeable on quiet tracks or pauses – Steve Tibbetts “Formless”.

I have run the amp for 2+ hours without noticeable heat (volume relatively low).

DO NOT! Unplug from iPod while amp turned on.   BUMP

Rambling section of the review
Multiple trips to multiple stores for multiple auditions, I kept coming back to these.  The B&W P7 sounded better to me on the first audition, but when I used my own source material, the PSB presented the midrange better. The B&W did not have as much "crispness" on snare drums or as much detail in the high end.  One track I always use to demo any sound gear is "Duende" by Bozzio / Levin / Stevens' "Black Light Syndrome". The quick transitions between Spanish guitar picking, persussion, and nimble fingered bass exercises show depth, impact, and definition.  For instance, the initial bass salvo presents as one big blur on the "Beats" I auditioned.  My $25,000 car system had trouble defining this bass lick.  The PSBs NAIL this entire track. The Marshall Monitor were very likeable though the upper midrange seemed a little "hot", as if they were tuned in the familiar "smile" EQ curve. The V-Moda sounded extremely good as well, though in my tests the low end was much more defined on the PSB.  The V-Moda did not sound like a "basshead" set to me.  MY bass test is Phil Rudd's kick drum, especially on "Can't Hold Me Back", from AC/DC's amazing "Stiff Upper Lip".  I actually bought a brand new set of Skullcandy Aviators for $80.00 "sight / unheard" based on a review in Stereophile.  They didn't pass the AC/DC test and were promptly returned.  Overall the Skullcandy were "good" but nowhere in the same league as the PSB.

The bottom line:
If you skim through this review, especially glancing at the headers, it may seem that the PSBs are substandard, as they were not my favorite in all but one category.  In the end, sound quality was the single most important characteristic to me, and the PSB were in a word "untouchable" by the others.   The only other pair I auditioned that came close were the Grado SR80i.  The low cost ($100.00) make those a superb value, but the open back design would not be a practical choice for me at work OR home.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 4
Was the sound quality measured with the ANC mode on or was it just in passive mode? Because I personally found that the b&w p7 had more detail in the highs (which also made the snares sound a little more crisp) than the nad hp50 which in turn had a tiny bit more detail than the psb m4u1 (which is the same as the passive mode on the m4u2 as far as I can tell). I do agree that the midrange was presented more nicely on the m4u1 (provided it's the same as the m4u2) though, it's a tiny bit recessed on the p7's.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 4
  Was the sound quality measured with the ANC mode on or was it just in passive mode? Because I personally found that the b&w p7 had more detail in the highs (which also made the snares sound a little more crisp) than the nad hp50 which in turn had a tiny bit more detail than the psb m4u1 (which is the same as the passive mode on the m4u2 as far as I can tell). I do agree that the midrange was presented more nicely on the m4u1 (provided it's the same as the m4u2) though, it's a tiny bit recessed on the p7's.

I listened to each track in both passive and amplified mode.   Noise cancelling was only on during the noise cancelling section of the review.   I did like the B&W quite a bit and were my initial choice.  After several sessions with both I knew i preferred the PSB.  The defining track for my "snare drum eval" was Jimi Hendrix / Band of Gypsies "Who Knows".  On the B&W it seemed much more subdued - too subdued for such an energetic performance.  Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and a few Jazz guitar pieces including Zachary Breaux and Pat Metheny sounded amazing on the P7s.  Also worth noting (?) is that I went into this test with a substantial B&W bias.  I had auditioned a 301 based home theater rig some years back, spent quality time listening to a friend's set of 801s, and many sessions in the best sounding car install I have ever heard (or judged) which was B&W based (google: Earl Zausmer BMW 540).  I had brand awareness of PSB but had never heard their product.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Yea, that's fair enough then. Sounds like you definitely gave them all a proper chance though and finished with your preferred headphone. The psb's are very nice sounding though, really enjoyed my time with them. 

Hope they serve you well! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back