My first real pair of headphones and I would like help
Dec 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ThickGlasses

1000+ Head-Fier
Since this is my first post I'd thought I put it up here. I've been looking for my first "real" pair of headphones lately (mostly just been bumming around on these) and I was thinking about the Grado SR225i. I've only ever tried 1 pair of good headphones with a good amp (Schiit Valhalla) in my life, the old Grado RS2, and I really liked it and since I auditioned the SR225i, I really like those too. I wanted to ask a few things.

1: I was thinking about getting the E17 amp and I was just wonder if I would need any other additional cables (minus the 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter for the SR225i).
2: Since I (obviously) like the RS2 better, is there any other sub-300$ (Canadian) headphone that would sound more similar?
3: Will the amp make that much of difference?

Thank you in advance for answering my nooby and probably bordering on facepalm level questions.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 11
There are a number of reasons to but the SR-60i instead of the RS-2i both of which I have owned.

Take a look at the charts I have provided:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=393&graphID[]=343&graphID[]=383&scale=30

The overall cost for performance greatly diminishes on the upper tier headphones.  In fact the SR-60i measured has more bass than the other more expensive headphones.  I mention this because the difference in audio quality in the Grado headphones has more to do with the pads than the serial number upgrade.

You are much better off, financially, with the SR-60i.  This will save you a ton of cash that you can spend on different gear or even another pair of headphones like the ATH-M50.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 11
  There are a number of reasons to but the SR-60i instead of the RS-2i both of which I have owned.

Take a look at the charts I have provided:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=393&graphID[]=343&graphID[]=383&scale=30

The overall cost for performance greatly diminishes on the upper tier headphones.  In fact the SR-60i measured has more bass than the other more expensive headphones.  I mention this because the difference in audio quality in the Grado headphones has more to do with the pads than the serial number upgrade.

You are much better off, financially, with the SR-60i.  This will save you a ton of cash that you can spend on different gear or even another pair of headphones like the ATH-M50.

Thanks very much, as I'm not exactly knowledgeable. I will keep that in mind as I still have a week to decide (my local music store has most Grados on clearance because they don't sell very well here and their contract with them is ending, meaning that the SR225i are 80$).

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 11
RS2 and RS1 are also Grado´s offcourse, but have a pretty different presentation then SR225!

I replied your pm about the SR225, and yes that´s a great great starter pair of headphones, but RS1 and RS2 are a class higher, IMHO.

Must admit, being a Grado lover, RS1i is still one of the nicest sounding headphones my ears listened to, RS2(i) comes closer then many think.

So, RS2 over SR225, offcourse! :)

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Well, I checked with my music store again and they are out of the RS2 and the SR60i, SR80i and SR125i, (I still want easily moddable ones, so SR325i is out of the picture) so SR225i it is then! I can't get the RS1 because they are out of my price range (330$ on clearance, and everyone I know is broke and can't lend me money
frown.gif
).

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 11
  RS2 and RS1 are also Grado´s offcourse, but have a pretty different presentation then SR225!

I replied your pm about the SR225, and yes that´s a great great starter pair of headphones, but RS1 and RS2 are a class higher, IMHO.

Must admit, being a Grado lover, RS1i is still one of the nicest sounding headphones my ears listened to, RS2(i) comes closer then many think.

So, RS2 over SR225, offcourse! :)

Bass has always been an important part of the classic prog Scene, thinking of Yes, Magma, Gentle Giant, King Crimson. How do your Grado´s handle the bass? and which is in your opinion the best?

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Bass is not overly present imo, but if you like emphasis on bass, Grado's not the brand to go with.

But I think RS en SR225 models DO have enough bass, but they're not D7000's either.

RS1 is a pair of cans I feel is very well balanced in lows mids highs, suitable for metal tot prog to jazz

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Many would say GS1000 is the bass master from Grado if I remember correctly (has been some time since I used en tested headphones)

I'm not a fan of GS1000 but many are

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 11
  Bass is not overly present imo, but if you like emphasis on bass, Grado's not the brand to go with.

But I think RS en SR225 models DO have enough bass, but they're not D7000's either.

RS1 is a pair of cans I feel is very well balanced in lows mids highs, suitable for metal tot prog to jazz

The bass should be there when demanded,depending on the Music you Play, for example Magma, who played in some line ups with 3 bass Players, than the bass should be in front as it is the bands identity. Listening to "Fragile" Yes, there is some great bass playing not in front exept for the solo Piece " The Fish" where all the sonic possibilities of the bass are demonstrated. King Crimson, Anglagard and Anekdoten are more focused on guitar and voices, but the bassi more than just rhythm and should Sound clear and realistic, but with the necessary ambiance. I listened yesterday to Senns Momentum, and was a bit dissapointed with the overal Sound, I played Primus, Van Der Graaf Generator, Magma, Anekdoten and Present. Bass was there but not as clear and realistic as I would hope for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back