My first post, take it easy on me!
Nov 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gstepic

Head-Fier
I am an old guy that has always loved music. Being married for over 35 years has dictated compromises since my wife does not have the same commitment to quality as I do. I am pretty much limited to listening to my music through headphones, which is really not so bad.

For years I have mainly listened to streamed music through my Zune/Xbox subscription. Microsoft's lack of commitment to their products has caused me to start purchasing all my music and listening to the difference between streamed and 320 kbps purchased music has been a very pleasant surprise. I am also getting interested in trying out FLAC files through HDtracks. I love all kinds of music, a lot of country, celtic, Hawaiian and other world music, pop, oldies, classical, and jazz. I have discovered jazz especially requires a decent system to truly enjoy it.

Instead of my Zune I have started using a Sansa Clip mp3 player and I use my Yoga Pro 2 laptop a lot for listening to music. I know this is probably an audiophile sin but I have been using the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 headphones and just upgraded to the QC25. I have read several reviews and do understand there are better cans for music in that price range but the noise cancelation and portability feature solve some problems for me and they do sound decent as I like some punch in the base without being muddy.

But as so many of you I am always looking for a way to improve the music listening experience. For the few times when I can listen to music at home alone I want something with a wider more upfront soundstage and that is clearer when there is a lot going on in a song without sacrificing bass. I have been looking at the PSB M4U 1 headphones and the Blue Microphone MO-Fi headphones as well as the Sennhieser Momentums. My laptop uses an unchangeable Realtek sound chip so my question is would a DAC/amplifier such as a FiiO 17 be helpful (the MO-Fi does have a build in amp)? It seems like all those headphones are pretty low impedance, which I think means they may not need an amp.

The reason I am asking you take it easy on this first time poster is I am seeing the more I research the more I understand I don't know. I am learning a lot of stuff does not always play well together and a lot of money can be wasted on components that really do not make any noticeable difference in the listening experience. My thinking is the FiiO 17 is not that expensive and either are the headphones I mentioned but there does seem potential for a fairly small outlay I could notice a difference, but I would love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Gary

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Your best bet is going to be to audition, audition, audition.  I'd start with headphones before buying an amp.  That way you can make sure the amp will work well with the headphones you'll use.  Also, low impedance doesn't necessarily mean you don't need an amp.  If your source has a high output impedance you can get some funky interactions.

I'm not familiar with the headphones you listed so I can't offer you any thoughts there.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Those 3 are all very good closed headphones BUT I think you should consider "open" headphones for better soundstage and space. Consider the Sennheiser HD600 for one. Or competitors in that price range from other good companies like beyerdynamic, HiFiMan, akg, and others.

Start w an excellent headphone. Can talk about amps later.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 9
This is definitely the forum to be on for what I am looking for, a lot of activity and a lot of reviews. I have a feeling I may end up with several headphones for various conditions. I just got through reading a review on the HD600s and the reviews often give recommendations for a good matching DAC/preamp or even if one is needed.

So my first quest is for headphones with a good soundstage, I think this is really lacking in the Bose QC25. I may like the HD600s for classical and anything with strings and an emphasis on vocals but would like to hear about other options. I have discovered how strings are rendered are a huge factor in how much I enjoy or don't enjoy classical music. From what I have been reading is the open ended cans are best for a good soundstage but I need a good listening environment.

My next set may be a closed set but with more clarity than the Bose without sacrificing bass. The Sennheiser Momentums may be good for this. I use the Koss Portapros for going to the gym and jogging, and for cheap headphones they sound fairly good but I will eventually may want to replace those.

I am also a photographer and I run into the same issue - a nearly impossible quest to find one product that does it all and does it well, and this is why I use more than one camera.

Gary

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm also a photographer (amateur in my case) and you've hit the nail on the head there. Unfortunately there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution. I pity your wallet. It's fun though. Just don't lose sight of why you're doing it - the music. It's all about the music.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 9
There are many headphones that could work if you get a portable amp such as Fiio, Cmoy, etc. Haven't heard the HD600, but I can vouch for the AKG Q701 if you want something with a very large soundstage that can do classical well.

For less money overall, I'd suggest the Audio-Technica AD-900X. I find it to be a solid all-arounder that's likely to please anyone looking for a clean, spacious sound--it has a very natural tone, snappy bass, and large soundstage. Best of all, it doesn't need an amp at all. I mean at all. My pair sounds 99.9% as good straight from my laptop as from my DAC/ amp combo that costs 4x as much as the headphones themselves.

The Phillips Fidelio X1/X2 is reputed to have lots of bass and soundstage, and it doesn't need an amp either, but I haven't heard it.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 9
There are many headphones that could work if you get a portable amp such as Fiio, Cmoy, etc. Haven't heard the HD600, but I can vouch for the AKG Q701 if you want something with a very large soundstage that can do classical well.

For less money overall, I'd suggest the Audio-Technica AD-900X. I find it to be a solid all-arounder that's likely to please anyone looking for a clean, spacious sound--it has a very natural tone, snappy bass, and large soundstage. Best of all, it doesn't need an amp at all. I mean at all. My pair sounds 99.9% as good straight from my laptop as from my DAC/ amp combo that costs 4x as much as the headphones themselves.

The Phillips Fidelio X1/X2 is reputed to have lots of bass and soundstage, and it doesn't need an amp either, but I haven't heard it.

+1 on the hd600 and X2

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 9
If you're looking for bass punch, the HD 650 are a better choice than the HD 600 (which I prefer).

Compare

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

with

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD600

Also keep an eye on the Deals Discussion thread.  There have already been great deals on both of these Senns and other cans over the last several days.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 9
I would just list exactly what you want.

Does weight of the headphone matter?
3.5mm jack or 1/4 or does it not matter ?
Is the weight of the headphone important?
Open or closed designed? Do you need a headphone that blocks sound?
Do you want a bass cannon? 
Do you want a pair of headphones that makes you feel like you're there and all the sounds you can pin point?

Etc etc. 

I am currently reviewing a pair of headphone for a friend. They have really good bass impact and great clarity. The bass is a little too much for me but I know a huge portion of head-fi would love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back