My first post----need advice--old cd player---DAC-upgrade.
Aug 21, 2007 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Timber Man

New Head-Fier
Greeting to all,

My first post. I need lots of advice. I have not upgraded my system for years.

Presently have an OPPO 981, Sony XA20 ES, Alesis Masterlink 9600.

Headphones Sony CD3000, purchased with the Sony XA20.

Almost everything is way over 10 years old, except the OPPO which is 9 months old.

What I was thinking was to add a Benchmark DAC-1 and improve my system.

In reading this great forum, it is suggested to get a used high end transport and add a Good Converter such as the DAC-1.

Then get an amp such as the BADA-ph12.

So add a DAC equals a $1000 and a Amp another 500 ----total upgrade about $1500 to $1600. To be added to the sony xa-20es. If the xa20 needs to be updated add 500 to 800 more dollars for a transport. So the potential cost for this upgrade is anywhere from $1500 to $2300.

Another way is get something like the Shanling cd-T1000se.

This gives me a new transport, supposely a good DAC and a output for my headphones.The cost is a little bit less. Looks like this can be obtained for about $1600

This also keeps the reduces the cost of cables.

What to do? Upgrade the Sony or get a whole new system?

Note----For years the Sony and masterlink have performed well. I still feel that the disc drawer of the Masterlink gives one a sense of insecurity. However it has never failed. But because of this feeling I have used the Sony 10 times more than the ML.The OPPO is in another part of the house, and just used for DVD movies.

Question, no matter how I go do I need an amplier such as the BADA-ph-12?

I guess we could attack the headphones selection, but perhaps this is for another part of the forum.

My first post, so you senior members, please slightly flame me if needed.

Hope this all makes a little sense.

Regards and thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Timber Man

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 15
how do you listen to your music. if mostly from CDs and not from a computer, then forget the transport + external DAC and just focus on buying a good used CD player. If you do listen from a computer a lot then a good external DAC - such as a DAC1, Apogee Mini Dac (see my sig!), DA100, etc - makes sense.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 15
hi don't want to take over this thread but can anyone give examples of good cdplayers?
been searching and reading a lot and now my head hurts
plainface.gif

oh btw welcome Timber Man sorry bout your wallet
lambda.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi don't want to take over this thread but can anyone give examples of good cdplayers?
been searching and reading a lot and now my head hurts
plainface.gif

depends on your budget.

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 15
not sure. all my research for cd players was in the $2000 price range. best bet is to run a few searches and/or start a new thread. good luck.

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the input. Please keep them coming. You are addressing a clean slate.

Right now I listen to cd's. I have one of those MacBook Pro computers. I just have a set of Bose headphones that I use on that computer.

The Sony cd-3000 are near a nice relaxing chair, so that is the place for the music.

I really never thought of using the computer for serious listening. Do you all think that is a good way to go?

Right now I listen to all sorts of music on the cd player. Just using the headphone jack out of the Sony XA-20.

So do you all recommend a new/used Cd player and perhaps a amp
such as the Bada ph-12?

I been cruising the Audiogon web site. It is confusing to a person who been out of the audio world for ten years. What is really good. There are so many new names.

I am going to hit my wallet. But if this lasts for 5 or more years the logic seems better. Of course we all tell ourselves that.

Are the Sony Cd 3000 okay?

Should I look at something different such as a K1000?

Regards,

Timber Man

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 15
if you have a pair of headphones that you like, then build a system to complement them. i listen to cds mostly as well. if that is your current source of music then stick with that. buying a good used player + a dedicated headphone amp is a good idea. audiogon is a very good place to find used players. just keep on searching/asking questions and you will figure out what will work for you.

how much do you want to spend. that is another important factor.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input. Please keep them coming. You are addressing a clean slate.

Right now I listen to cd's. I have one of those MacBook Pro computers. I just have a set of Bose headphones that I use on that computer.

The Sony cd-3000 are near a nice relaxing chair, so that is the place for the music.

I really never thought of using the computer for serious listening. Do you all think that is a good way to go?

Right now I listen to all sorts of music on the cd player. Just using the headphone jack out of the Sony XA-20.

So do you all recommend a new/used Cd player and perhaps a amp
such as the Bada ph-12?

I been cruising the Audiogon web site. It is confusing to a person who been out of the audio world for ten years. What is really good. There are so many new names.

I am going to hit my wallet. But if this lasts for 5 or more years the logic seems better. Of course we all tell ourselves that.

Are the Sony Cd 3000 okay?

Should I look at something different such as a K1000?

Regards,

Timber Man

The bada works best with the sennheiser hd650 or the akg 701, not with the headphones you mentioned. it's a lovely amp, much better when modded!

Drarthurwells might help with a good deal for the bada.

K1000 needs a bigger amp, a small amp that can also drive small speakers, the bada can't do that. amp that is capable of 8-10 watts output.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Ladies and gentlemen the road to bottomless perdition has started. As of this morning 24 August 2007 I ordered an iBasso D1 amp/Dac for my computer.( one always should quote Milton) i never even thought to put a dac/amp on the computer.

Still looking at the Bada amp, Akg 701, perhaps a Denon Dvd player 5910ci.

I wonder how the Dac's are on the 5910ci and the quality of the transport?

While I take full responsibility for my actions. The attack to my wallet which you all fully advised me, has started. I feel that this forum my be composed of addicted individuals who are looking to infect the world.

Regards and thanks for the knowledgable advice,

Timber man

Note: There are three places for me to listen to music/DVD's----

I have a dedicated home theatre, a Macbook pro in the family room(iBasso goes on the computer) and a giant feather chair with my Sony Cd-3000 headphones and my Cd and Dvd players. Probably have to get some Dvd audio disks and perhaps some SACD.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 15
STATUS----I ordered a iBasso dac/amp on /friday. Received an email on friday saying the unit would ship monday. Monday night got an email with UPS tracking number.

I will let you all know the results with a Sony CD 3000 and Bose quiet 2.

Question which set of phones would complimentt the Sony's?

From this forum the K701 with a cable upgrade and the HD650's seem to be favored.

Assuming a Bada amp, any thoughts on how to go. I thought I get the Bada PH-12 first and then the phones, then maybe some cable upgrades.

It's interesting that nobody has commented on the Denon dvd?

Again let you know how the iBasso works. So far they done everything they said .

I think I will go with some low price power cord upgrades.

After a while I will think about some (REASONABLE) cable upgrades.

Regards,

Timber Man

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 15
haven't heard the 3000s but i know quite a few people have. may be better to post something in the headphone section and/or run a few searches.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Timber Man,

We are in a similar position. I am getting back into hi-fi again, and I have the iBasso D1 burning in right now (13 hours). I planed to use it with my Macbook (just change the audio source in the sound control panel), and with digital sources like DVD and optical out mp3 and CD players.

In the begining, before ordering any amps, I had Bose QC1 using an iPod and macbook for my source. The Bose died after 5 years and I went looking for better. I bought the Shure E2c and enjoyed them more than the Bose, and they were easier to wear if I slept with them. Next came the Shure E4c and SE310 (for more bass). Then came a used burned-in RSA Tomahawk amp to give more punch to the E4c, which then made me wonder what I could do to open the sound stage.

So, for soundstage I bought some used Ultrasone HFI700 DVD headphones that make the QC2 sound narrow and bland, without even using an amp, and with an amp they spank the Bose. The Bose don't sound so bad on their own without comparison, until I spent some time with the HFI700 and swapped out to the Bose. At the same time I bought some used burned-in Senn HD600 that I didn't need, to help the seller get into medical school and to just play with, but haven't gotten them yet. But, before the Ultrasone arrive I order the iBasso D1 because I think it will drive the HFI700 and HD600 better than the Tomahawk...

But, just in case I needed the best portable sound without an amp, I had to get some Shure E500PTH too, before the rest of the stuff got here. And, of course I had to find out what all the hubbub was about the Sennheiser PX100, so ordered those too.

So, with that out of the way I then I went out to find better sources for portable use, like an iRiver H120 and Sony D-EJ2000 both with optical outputs to use with my D1.

Now, in just 60 days, I have spent $1,130 at ebay on several sources, headphones and cables, at least $650 at head-fi for an amp, portable CD player and two over-the-ear headphones. Then I send another $250 to iBasso - a little over $2,000 total. I figure I got $1,600 from selling an AK47 and AR15 that I am almost even (and still have enough guns of course, but that is another forum).

Last summer I did the whole home theater/60 screen thing. You'd think at 45yr old I'd have gotten this over with years ago. I probably ought to just up my dosage or something...
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back