My first portable rig ..
Feb 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

zeeko

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fires, I been wandering this website for quite a long time now , and the amount of knowledge in here is just over the top , so thank you for keeping knowledge floating . I'm planing to buy my first portable rig , I've chosen the sansa clip with RSA shadow amp . Also I wanna buy an IEM and a headphone , and I been thinking about the following:

[Headphones]:
THE FIDELIO X1 BY PHILIPS 
AKG K545  

[IEM's]:
Heir 4.A S  
JH5 IEM  
JAYS q-JAYS 

So what is the best IEM and headphone you would recommend form those ?!! , and should I consider anything else like cables or such ?!!! ..

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 23
When  you say 'portable', are you planning to use this rig on the move, or just transport it and use it in private? Because if you're using this on the move, then the X1 isn't really appropriate since it's open back, so you'll hear outside noise and everyone around will be able to hear you're music. 

As for recommendations, you need to say what it is you're looking for. What music do you listen to? What sort of sound signature do you like? etc.

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 23
I travel a lot so I tried to make this rig as light as possible , I'll be using the headphone at home only , and that's why  I'm buying an IEM  too . I make music  and I listen almost to everything . So I'm looking for something that can bring me that best of each genre if that possible . I want the sound to be clear and detailed as much as possible with neutral mids and highs .. my budget is 400$ . This is my page at soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/zeeko-z 

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 23
You sure about the Clip and Shadow? Because some affordable DAPs are out now that would make your rig lighter, not to mention you won't have two devices strapped to each other. Or if your phone supports USB audio, you can get a DAC-HPamp and stream digital audio from your computer or the phone if you're traveling and don't have a laptop with you. I don't doubt the quality of the Clip's decoding components, but the thing is instead of a true lineout circuit, you're hooking up the signal out of an integrated audio chip (DAC-HPamp in one chip), and really that's what makes a difference more than half the time, even among the better CDPs and DACs (since some of them have deliberately colored line output circuits).

If you get just the player, some of them can still function as a DAC-HPamp with a computer, so that allows you to listen through online content through the same system and headphone, as well as the rest of your music collection stored on the HDD. On the go, you just take the player and an IEM. If you get the DAC-HPamp in one box, you can use your IEM on the go with your phone if you pick one that works well enough with it, and leave the DAC-HPamp with the headphone at home. If you'll be away for a while, you can pack both, and maybe even hook up the mobile phone with it if you don't bring your laptop.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 23
  You sure about the Clip and Shadow? Because some affordable DAPs are out now that would make your rig lighter, not to mention you won't have two devices strapped to each other. Or if your phone supports USB audio, you can get a DAC-HPamp and stream digital audio from your computer or the phone if you're traveling and don't have a laptop with you. I don't doubt the quality of the Clip's decoding components, but the thing is instead of a true lineout circuit, you're hooking up the signal out of an integrated audio chip (DAC-HPamp in one chip), and really that's what makes a difference more than half the time, even among the better CDPs and DACs (since some of them have deliberately colored line output circuits).

If you get just the player, some of them can still function as a DAC-HPamp with a computer, so that allows you to listen through online content through the same system and headphone, as well as the rest of your music collection stored on the HDD. On the go, you just take the player and an IEM. If you get the DAC-HPamp in one box, you can use your IEM on the go with your phone if you pick one that works well enough with it, and leave the DAC-HPamp with the headphone at home. If you'll be away for a while, you can pack both, and maybe even hook up the mobile phone with it if you don't bring y

I understand , but I don't intend in using my phone as a music player . I listen to music like 8 hours a day  , so using my phone would just get in my way . Regrading DAPs , I'm looking forward to buy one in the near future . The shadow with sansa cost about $370 , and I don't think there is any good solid DAPs around that price . Right now I'm limited to my budget and that the best I could come up with ...

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 23
  I understand , but I don't intend in using my phone as a music player . I listen to music like 8 hours a day  , so using my phone would just get in my way . Regrading DAPs , I'm looking forward to buy one in the near future . The shadow with sansa cost about $370 , and I don't think there is any good solid DAPs around that price . Right now I'm limited to my budget and that the best I could come up with ...

I don't see what isn't "good" nor "solid" about, say, the DX50 (really, people say the plastic feels solid, and some prefer its feel to the aluminum back-plastic front Fiio X3, unless you're entirely dependent on iTunes to do everything for you, but I assume not since you were considering a Clip. Get that one first and you might decide to not use an amp anymore - works well enough with a K550 when I got to try one, albeit briefly (but I'm confident enough about the combo). I don't see how it can't do well with the K545. At $250 it undercuts the Clip and Shadow, no real line out combo.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 23
  So your're saying I should get the sansa with k550 and leave the amp  ?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm...read it again. I said get the DX50 and with the K545, maybe the K550.

Ibasso DX 50 = $250, one solid piece, good amplifier already built in
Sansa Clip + RSA Shadow = $370, you have to velcro and strap both together, Sansa Clip has no real lineout circuit

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 23
I just ordered the DX50 with K545 , I hope they live up to my expectations. Is there any good IEM you would recommend for the DX50 ?!!!! ,.. and thank you so much for taking the effort 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 23
  Is the GR07 BE that good ?!!!! ...., everyone is  recommending them  ..

Honestly though if you can live with it, strap your DX50 to ur RSA Shadow, RSA makes a nice amp, adn the Line out of the DX50 and the RSA should be a nice combo! Ofc if you'd rather keep it light then the K545 with just teh DX50 is a good way to go! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back