My first pair, suggestions? (feed PC Revo 5.1)
Jun 12, 2005 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spoonfed

New Head-Fier
Looking at a pair of cans for something different. Currently have nothing and have not owned anything decent.

My current setup is a HT one (ie loudspeakers), source is a HTPC with MAudio Revo 5.1 feed SPDIF to a Panny XR45 full digital AVR (see AVS, Audiocircle etc on how impressive this little suckers are
smily_headphones1.gif
), mains are Quad 12L's (on Nordost Solar Wind).

I guess im looking at an improved sound to this, only for 2ch music. Im happy with my 2ch "loud" setup, but times when phones would be good.

The Quad 12L's are quite a fast accurate speaker, the XR45 is very clean, dynamic and speedy, plenty of snap and loads of resolution (this AVR was a huge upgrade from my old Denon 1802, and prefered after much demoing for 2ch vs Denon 3805).

I guess maybe im not chasing the "exact" same sound as something different can often be nice.

Music tastes vary from some heavy stuff to vocals etc

I was thinking maybe some 555's or similar?

I'm after decent sound........ im thinking better than my "loud" sound (not sure how phone's compare do to very little experience)...... then i fear TOO good sound and never going back to 2ch on the loud system
smily_headphones1.gif
haha.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Funnily, HD555s also were the first to come to mind when reading your post. Your definition of preferred music styles isn't all too precise, but I guess some fairly universal cans would be useful (the HD555's elder brother HD595 usually receives good comments regarding the midrange and does well with vocals). The Revo 5.1 has a dedicated headphone socket with decent-quality amp circuitry so you could try whether that or the output on your HT receiver is better.

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah i read the review thread on the 555's seem fairly resonable for all round
(and $200 AUD locally not too bad)

Sound would be much better than using the Revo i'd say than the AVR as AVR is full digital, it uses TI Equibit amp modules, (same as TacT gear) and as such for digital sources there is NO DAC at all in the loop. It would likely have some cheap ADC on the headphone out. An earlier XR10 model apparently used the main channel amps in someway to drive the phone out, so the output quality (here with NO DAC in the chain) is said to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back