My first pair of "real" headphones.
Jul 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hyvlarn

New Head-Fier

I'm pretty new to this. The best pair of headphones I have owned so far in my life are the Steelseries Siberia V2 because I play FPS games. The mic and headband has broken, and I have stopped playing FPS games so I need a new pair. The most I'm willing to spend is $100 USD. So I have been doing my homework and what most of my research has pointed to is the Grado Labs SR80i. I know someone who has used these and he says they are great. If I were to buy these, I would be using them for listening to music on my computer and listening to my iPod. So Head-Fi, are these a good choice for $100, or can you recommend anything better?

TL;DR: Are Grado Labs SR80i worth it? If not, recommend something better for under $100 USD please.

Thanks ahead of time,

Hyvlarn

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Grado sr80i's are definitely worth it.  However, I'd say that they're pretty unstandard earphones. The mids are very forward, which means that stuff like vocals, electric guitar, etc are right up in your face and bass/treble seems a bit farther back.  They're also known to be pretty uncomfortable.  I lot of people love them, but many people don't like the sound either.
Stuff like the Sennheiser hd555's, audio technica M50s, and Shure 840 have a slightly more "mainstream" sound signature, so they might suit you better.  You might want to read up on some reviews before you decide, some things to consider are the sound signature, open/closed style, comfort, and possible need for amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back