My First Pair of Decent Headphones
Dec 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JDSuperhero

New Head-Fier
With Christmas just around the corner, I wanted to treat myself to a new pair of headphones (a step up from my $30 Sony cans). I'm a university student, so I am on a budget of about $130 max. At first I was looking at the new AKG Y50s, because they were reputed to be good and fairly under-budget, but I've also been considering the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears and the V-Moda Crossfade M-80s. I really don't know what to go with. My source will vary between a Sony Walkman (mp3 player) a Sony Discman (CD player) and my laptop, which is four years old and nothing special.

I can't stand in-ear headphones because they hurt my ear canals. I just want a pair of headphones with good sound that I can where on walks to class, around town, and while relaxing at my apartment. Durability should be a factor (I will admit to sitting on my current pair once or twice). I listen to everything from Infected Mushroom to Tegan and Sara to Against Me to Ani Difranco, so a pretty good range of sounds as far as music goes making versatility important. I'd really appreciate any recommendations you might have for me as to which headphones will best suit my needs. Honestly, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the options and reviews out there.

Thank you in advance,
JD

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm not sure I want anything that emphasizes bass in its marketing. It's not that I don't like bass, its just that only about half my music is bass heavy - I listen to a lot of folk and I worry that headphones that emphasize bass will be bland (or worse) on tracks that, well, don't have much bass to emphasize. Maybe I'm wrong, though?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm a fan of AKG and I think they make really good products for the money. From my experience AKGs tend to have a very clean sound with nothing too overemphasized across the sound spectrum. If this is what you're reading in regards to how they sound I think AKG headphones would do very nicely for folk and acoustic music.  I have never heard the Y50 though so I can't make a recommendation on those headphones in specific. You're right in that you probably want to stay away from headphones that emphasis bass. Especially in the price range you're looking at - from my experience headphones with a bass emphasis tend to take away from the mids and that's where folk music lives. 

I didn't care for the momentums. I didn't find them to be very comfortable nor did I care much for how they sounded as I found the sound very unengaging but that's solely my opinion. I didn't listen to much folk/acoustic on them so they might be great for your interests. They have come down in price considerably and could be worth some consideration. The V-Modas from my understanding have a bit more of a bass emphasis and people on these forums like them quite a bit but again I've never heard them so I can't make a recommendation.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you, I guess I was just curious because both the V-Moda and the Sennheiser are similarly priced and various reviews seemed to indicate the V-Moda was more durable and had better sound, but the Sennheisers honestly appeal to me more aesthetically (not that aesthetics are a major factor) and I'd heard tell the V-Modas were uncomfortable...

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 9
I find it curious that you dismiss the WS55 because of too much bass, but are considering the Vmoda.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM80.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHWS55.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back