My First Look at the Sennheiser HD800
Feb 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #151 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, I'll try them on an AirHead.

LOL - do I need to finish this joke?
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #152 of 161
I know that I've been a little out of touch with the latest in the headphones realm, but I didn't know that release of the HD800 was imminent. These sure do look to provide impressive sound at an equally impressive price point! Sure would be nice to have a listen
L3000.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #153 of 161
Okay, if these new Sennheiser HD800s sound so great, then how do they compare with the Sennheiser Orpheus? I know that Orpheus are Electrostatic and the new HD800s are Dynamic; but still- Sound is Sound?

Additionally, if the Orpheus and the HD 800s are close in sound; then why the crazy price for the Orpheus?

Just some ideas for thought?

Scottsmrnyc

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #154 of 161
Additionally, what type of music did Jude and Tyll audtion the HD800s with. To be honest acoustic music tends to sound better or more detailed than electrified amplified music. Not all sources are equal. It could be that the cause of the great sound was the source of the music and the way it was recorded as apposed to the headphones in question. As you can tell from my equipment list, I do have a number of fine quality headphones and headphone amps. Why is it that when I use them, one source of music, either from Cd, Vinyl, internet radio, tape etc, sounds better than another at a given time. Sometimes I think that a really good source is all you need to create a significant improvement in the sounds coming out of your headphones or musical system. It is all so complicated!

Scottsmrnyc

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #155 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, if these new Sennheiser HD800s sound so great, then how do they compare with the Sennheiser Orpheus? I know that Orpheus are Electrostatic and the new HD800s are Dynamic; but still- Sound is Sound?

Additionally, if the Orpheus and the HD 800s are close in sound; then why the crazy price for the Orpheus?

Just some ideas for thought?

Scottsmrnyc

IMO, expense is dictated by a lot of things, and in the case of the Orpheus, it would seem that the technology used in its design is what dictates expense. It's like buying a novel electrical car at enormous price, even though it technically doesn't perform better than the regular and mass produced, gasoline dependent type.

Electrostatic headphone technology as in the Orpheus isn't mass produced and hence, will be expensive, even though the quality of sound may not be better than a cheaper headphone of the dynamic type.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #156 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additionally, what type of music did Jude and Tyll audtion the HD800s with. To be honest acoustic music tends to sound better or more detailed than electrified amplified music. Not all sources are equal. It could be that the cause of the great sound was the source of the music and the way it was recorded as apposed to the headphones in question. As you can tell from my equipment list, I do have a number of fine quality headphones and headphone amps. Why is it that when I use them, one source of music, either from Cd, Vinyl, internet radio, tape etc, sounds better than another at a given time. Sometimes I think that a really good source is all you need to create a significant improvement in the sounds coming out of your headphones or musical system. It is all so complicated!

Scottsmrnyc

This is where experience comes in. I'd be far more inclined to take the opinion of someone who has been listening to headphones of varying type and quality for many years, to make the call of whether or not a pair of headphones sound great or are better than another pair.

With experience, you are able to see beyond what is the difference between a headphone's sound character vs technical excellence, i.e., the ability to reproduce sound detail etc.

However, I do take your point in that the source can limit one's appreciation of technical differences between two very good pairs of headphones, or two very good amps.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #158 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll, has anyone ever told you that you look like David Gilmour?

Naw, the one I usually get is Ron White. (Blue Collar comic.)

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #159 of 161
With a cigar in one hand and a fine single malt in the other, Ron White.

With a guitar in hand or headphones on his head (where else would it go?) modern day David Gilmour, all the way!

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #160 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Spammy as charged. Nonetheless, with the impressions on this board thusfar, and the hand-made nature of these, I don't think starved supply is that unreasonable. Folks who preorder early will have a guaranteed pair on launch date, folks who wait until they read some reviews and sell some gear may not see them for months. If you're insane enough to be seriously thinking about spending $1400 on a pair of hadphones, you may as well admit to yourself that you're eventually going to buy them. Why not be a trailblazer?

On another note, I look forward to more news about the connectors, the FR charts, and which HR amp pairs with these best...
smily_headphones1.gif

So if you buy a 1,400 headphone, some how all your faculties are not there? I'd expect that kind of talk from a headphone noob, but not from a experienced head fier like yourself. Yes, I will get one.. Maybe I'm more crazy cause I work at BB, so the cost will be that much more hard hitting..But I would like to have the 'best' headphone ever created.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #161 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if you buy a 1,400 headphone, some how all your faculties are not there? I'd expect that kind of talk from a headphone noob, but not from a experienced head fier like yourself. Yes, I will get one.. Maybe I'm more crazy cause I work at BB, so the cost will be that much more hard hitting..But I would like to have the 'best' headphone ever created.

I think he meant it in a joking "Head-fi insane" kind of way. Such as many of insane to spend so much on audio according to others.

I will admit I may see a pair of these in my future too, can't afford them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back