My first LCD Purchase
May 3, 2007 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sofronitsky0423

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in need of a new TV and PC display so I've decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and get an LCD with PC inputs. I'm still watching a 12 yr. old sony, and know very little about new HD tvs. My budget is about $700. I've had my eye on his one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889102123
for a while. Right size and price. But I can't find any reviews or comments. The 26'' version was given excellent reviews. Could I expect the same quality with the smaller version then? just wanted to get some info/ buying tips from experienced LCD TV owners. I also need to know what kind of videocard I'm going to need. I just found one with HDMI out, is this preferable to using VGA out? To display at the native resolution 1366X768 I could use a VGA-HDMI convertor also... what about DVI out? I have no experience with any of this so I'm in need of advice.
I don't really have my heart set on this model so I'd appreciate any other recommendations.

May 3, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 17
Frankly, it seems overpriced to me. If you're going to use the lcd monitor as a tv also, it'll be much cheaper to just get a normal monitor and separately get a tv tuner card for your computer instead of getting one with a built-in tuner. Nowadays you can get a decent 22" widescreen monitor for $250, and a tuner card for $50 or less, for a total of $300 as opposed to the $700 you have to spend on the tv/monitor you linked to. In terms of connecting your computer or tuner card to the monitor, DVI is usually best. Don't bother with VGA. HDMI you'd only want to deal with unless there's some DRM issues you're worried about.

May 3, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 17
Check woot.com's deal today.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 17
well... for 21 inch monitors. I read a review before

View Sonic P20 something (forgot the real name... but I am sure is the 20 inch P series ) has the best performance but the price is too high, the second runner is view sonic VX2025 (I am using VX2035MW, because 2025 was discontinued, but they are basically the same monitor). you can get it for around 250 dollar, is a great wide screen monitor with reasonable price.

I agree with Kyrie about the TV tuner, is much cheaper this way.

May 3, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 17
Personally, I wouldn't use an LCD TV as a PC monitor unless it was 1080p. Otherwise, it won't look as good as an LCD monitor with your computer. I use this (also comes in black) monitor for my laptop, TV, 360, Wii, etc. It has a ton of inputs and it looks amazing. It only has an analog tuner, but you can buy an hdtv tuner for your pc and have an HDTV w/ tivo functionality for cheap!

May 3, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm sure you are not using the built in monitor right? XD

May 3, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

If you're going to use the lcd monitor as a tv also, it'll be much cheaper to just get a normal monitor and separately get a tv tuner card for your computer instead of getting one with a built-in tuner. Nowadays you can get a decent 22" widescreen monitor for $250

Most decent 22" widescreen LCD monitors are TN panels. TN technology is not very well suited for video. You'll want an LCD with an S-IPS panel but they are much more expensive.

May 3, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 17
really? the contrast ratios for computer lcd (800:1) are nowhere near the specs as lcd tvs(4000:1) I Just bought a sammy 26 lcd TV(at the international meet) and am currently using it as a desktop monitor out of the hdmi output in the laptop to the sammy. i am pleased with this setup but if computer monitor is a better route than i would switch. i paid 700 for the 26 sammy and a 4 year plan for 49 bucks fyi.

May 3, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for all of the suggestions I think I'll be going with an LCD monitor instead to save some $$. Is there anyway to mount one of these to a wall, I just don't have the desk space for a monitor. I was looking at this model, got excellent reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001096

I was not planing on watching regular cable on the tv, just hooking up my dvd player (via HDMI) to it. As there is only one DVI input on this model how would I solve this problem? First, do DVI-HDMI convertors work all that well? If so I could go that route, but I would need some type of DVI splitter (so I wouldn't have to unplug from the computer in order to watch a dvd). Anyone know anything about these? I tried an s-video splitter once and noticed some loss in the signal quality...

May 3, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most decent 22" widescreen LCD monitors are TN panels. TN technology is not very well suited for video. You'll want an LCD with an S-IPS panel but they are much more expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? the contrast ratios for computer lcd (800:1) are nowhere near the specs as lcd tvs(4000:1) I Just bought a sammy 26 lcd TV(at the international meet) and am currently using it as a desktop monitor out of the hdmi output in the laptop to the sammy. i am pleased with this setup but if computer monitor is a better route than i would switch. i paid 700 for the 26 sammy and a 4 year plan for 49 bucks fyi.

------------------------

just read these... I'm much more concerned with a better picture for DVD viewing then comp. use. The only thing running is foobar... so I think I'll stick with the TV...

Where did you get the 26'' samsung for $700???? The lowest I've seen one at was $850..

May 3, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw: the contrast ratio for that samsung LCD MONITOR above is: 1000:1(DC 3000:1) what is "DC" here mean???

DC stands for "dynamic contrast". You should be more concerned with the 1000:1 ratio, as that is intended to represent a "real world" contrast in normal use, called "Static Contrast". Essentially, the DC value is the maximum potential contrast of the display between the blackest black and whitest white. The static contrast represents the maximum contrast value a display is able to present frame to frame.

[EDIT] I should note that the DC value is not to be discounted - in fact, for light PC use (no games or anything), the 5000:1 value will actually see more real-world use than with the TV, so you will likely be satisfied with it as a monitor for your application.

May 4, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofronitsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
------------------------

just read these... I'm much more concerned with a better picture for DVD viewing then comp. use. The only thing running is foobar... so I think I'll stick with the TV...

Where did you get the 26'' samsung for $700???? The lowest I've seen one at was $850..

fry's in california..it was near the international meet...the cheapest price i have seen....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back