My first iPod Classic in 5 years ...
Jul 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
And I doubt that it's any different to the 2009 model but I caved to the generally held belief that the Classic is for the chopping block - not helped by Tim Cook's recent comment that Apple's iPod business is 'declining'.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Classic

Even though I've got Sony's ZX1. mating it with my ADL X1 is going to have to wait until I fly to Japan in Sept and I'm able to pick up the Sony cable - hooking up an iDevice is much simpler and doesnt need anything beyond the stock data transfer cable. I've always been a big fan of the clickwheel and I dont mind iTunes as a music delivery service, at least on the Mac. Capacity is the same as the ZX1 but it cost significantly less. I accept that most people today would either get a Touch or simply use their phone for music, but there's something about the Classic that just does it for me even if the sonics arent on the same level as many of the DAPs that have been rolled out since 2009, 

So many things have changed since I joined Head-Fi - its oddly reassuring to unpack this 'dinosaur' and see much the same device as the one I had back in 2009. Let's hope Apple dont give into the beancounters and throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 4
Yep, another fan of the Classic here! I've had various iterations for about 10 years now, up to my current 7th Gen. I haven't found anything else with the combination of serious storage capacity and great UI. As you say, there are better sonics out there in other DAPs but I don't honestly think the source makes that much difference unless you're using it with high-end headphones rather than portables - my Amperiors sound great with the Classic :D Would they sound significantly better out of a high-end DAP? Doubt it.

Gotta say though, I never see anyone else on my daily commute using one. Then again, I never see anyone using anything other than their phone as a source these days! I'm always on the lookout for fellow audiophiles, and see some nice cans around, but never a DAP, always phones. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple discontinued the Classic - sales figures must have plummeted based on the number I see around - i.e. zero! Shame that most people these days seem prepared to sacrifice sound quality for the convenience of the jack of all trades that is the smart phone.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Agree that the phone has subsumed so much of the consumer DAP market - it's almost a generational thing now to hear someone refer to a DAP as an 'iPod' and I've had several younger iPhone users ask me what my Touch was - they are surprised when I tell them you cant make phone calls with it. The iPod was a gateway drug for Apple and I suspect that their iTunes business has done very, very well over the years.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I just got mine too, I traded my iPod Touch 5th gen 32gb for a Classic. I already have an iPhone and an iPad Air, so I thought what's the use of an iPod Touch that has limited storage, I went straight to Best Buy and boom, this is my 3rd iPod Classic (sold the previous ones because I thought that iOS devices are good enough for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back