My first impressions of the iPod
May 2, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 19
Yes, the X5 does support USB OTG.
However, the screen on that thing is noticeably smaller and less detailed than those on the iPods or Irivers and the only place where they are currently available is Korea.

May 2, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 19
There you go - it seems that it's not possible to get it all.

I might end up investing in a dedicated photo wallet like the Nikon Coolwalker. It has a 30 GB hard drive and can house JPEG's and TIFF's, but it costs as much or more than most high-end DAP's.

May 2, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
There you go - it seems that it's not possible to get it all.

I might end up investing in a dedicated photo wallet like the Nikon Coolwalker. It has a 30 GB hard drive and can house JPEG's and TIFF's, but it costs as much or more than most high-end DAP's.

the iPod photo is not really for Digital Wallet style on-the-go transfer, it's just too slow to use in an outing
rolleyes.gif

But for daily backups back at the hotel, it would be fine. For RAW support you would need a more dedicated device also
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 19
I've had iPods since the inception of the unit (a 5 gig 1g, a 15 gig 3g, and now a 30 gig photo) as my digital music collection blew up in size. I can honestly say that the Photo features of the iPod Photo are really just a gimick... they add very little to the experience (unless you're an art history student... this thing is MUCH better than a deck of flashcards for memorization). It's cool having a shiny color screen, but I was just as happy with the monochrome ones. The only real difference I've found in my usage is the ability to play solitaire, which was sort of tricky on the older monochrome screen.

So why did I get the 30 gig photo? Well, it was only $50 more than the 20 gig, and I would have shot myself later for not spending the extra $50 on 50% more storage. Buying a 20 gig at $300 just doesn't make sense when you can get so much more at such a low price.

Verdict? It's well worth it, IF you have a large music collection (mine's almost entirely apple lossless). Don't justify the purchase on the fancy screen.

EDIT: Don't bank too much on the iPod as a portable hard drive for serious usage for video, etc. The HD is fairly slow compared to similarly priced options that are dedicated HDs. I tend to back up a lot of large Computer Graphics projects on my iPod, and you can certainly play videos etc off of it, but it's noticably slower for applications etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back