My first IEMs: SA6 / SF5 / SF5 pro
Sep 14, 2008 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

samschu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am shopping for my first set of IEMs. I've read a lot of reviews and I think the three in the title are my best choices for my price range... 150-200. I have an 80gb ipod classic, I listen to rock, industrial rock, electronic, indie, and some classical. My favorites are all Apple Lossless but I have a lot of 128kbps from high school before I lived right next to rasputin and amoeba.

I like bass but nothing that takes away from the mids/highs.

Also, from what I understand from soundearphones.com... I could try a set and return it and get a refund (-)shipping cost and (-) $15 flat restocking fee.

So if that is the case, I would like to narrow it down to two choices and buy both and return the one I don't like as much.

Should I go with the SA6s and the pros so I can compare dual drivers to single?
Any experiences with these IEMs from other people who like similar music?
Is there any justification for choosing a certain set because it will be my first?

Feel free to redirect me to a previous thread.

Thank you.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 8
SA6s are single drivers, but their sound quality is better than many double drivers out there. I think they are better than the Superfi 5 in most areas expect bass quantity, and bassheads will prefer the Superfi 5. Otherwise you can't find a better deal than the SA6 at its price, but the Superfi 5 is a good option at its price as well.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 8
Just the perspective here of a basshead who owns the Super.fi 5 Pro - I found their bass quantity to be insufficient. The SA6s have less quantity, so I suspect this would be insufficient for many listeners. I also have the Super.fi 5 EBs, which have sufficient bass (and then some) but have piercing highs and the bass isn't as extended as it could be. The mids are also lacking.

You may want to keep searching.

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 8
SA6's shine with indie music. Guitars are crisp. Basses are clean. Drums are forward. And vocals are magical. The bass won't blow you away, but there are various things you can do to improve things on bass-heavy tracks, EQing being one of them, using different tips being another, and of course, swapping the bass ports.

Another option for you are potentially Klipsch Image X5's.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 8
I own the supposed bassy klipsch image x10 and hated them. I now also own the Superfi 5 EB's and love them. If you like the feel of club type bass/EQ then you probably be dissapointed with any other IEM that costs more.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 8
I am considering the same three IEMs and have yet to make a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back