My first IEM experience
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 18
If the hiss is in his laptop, a more expensive amp isn't going to do it at all. It'll just amplify the hiss more expensively. What he needs to purchase is a decent USB or PCMCIA soundcard. Last time I was at best buy, they were clearancing out those Creative X-Fi things for $60.00 .. so that might be an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 options:
1 (more expensive) amp
2 (cheaper) Shure level attentuator

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 18
Just get an attenuator.

These IEM's are crazy efficient and take very little power to drive. As a result however, the noise floor now becomes enough of a signal that it is audible. Combined with the isolated background noise, you now hear the noise much easier than before.

Get a shure attenuator which will lower the entire signal level (noise and music). Then just turn the volume up a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #18 of 18
LOL -- I did a Google Web search for the name of a product that might help you, and it led me to one of my old posts on Head-Fi ... so be careful what you write/say on here.

Here's an excerpt:

"I don't know the spelling, but OttoEase, Oto-Ease, or something like that is a liquid, gel or cream that should help reduce irritation."

It's a product designed for hearing aid wearers, but the principle is the same, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back