my first HP amp? Advise and opinions appreciated. Katrina repair #1 priority
Mar 18, 2006 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bird

New Head-Fier
Hello Forum,
after doing much research of the differant options available, building the amp design that seemed to best fit my uses has become much more complex than i imagined... so many parts and substitutes require individual suggestions from this board.
hurricane Katrina damaged much of my recording studio and listening equipment that i am still trying to repair(ironically i find this much easier than building the relatively simple Pimenta amp at this time..but i know what to buy to repair things w/o advise)...i would really rather at this point purchase a high quality portable headphone amp...one that absolutely spared no expense from the best silver solder to even the highest quality resistors(don't laugh). i still would like to make my own box to hold it all as i have already prepared many of the materials but luckily have't cut anything to size. i have some 1920's era handmade French banding to incorporate into the enclosure design..and also the mother of pearl stars. so i guess it would be best to have 1) someone else build it for me, a person with utmost integrity, no skimping at all(silver or better solder)..the very best parts in every portion of the design, or 2) buy one on ebay or elsewhere.
this weekend, i still have to do work to repair my rented home and repair my damaged equipment, install a used washer and dryer to replace my old ones, help a friend replace rotten moldy sheetrock at his home, and finally on Sunday afternoon a nice relief to attend the first New Orleans Symphony performance since Katrina with my Father, which is a free performance of Mozart pieces followed by straight up New Orleans jazz by several members of the Marsalis family :). so much for my Pimenta weekend project. i expect my weekends will be like this for quite some time, a lot of repairing and helping other friends and family members. New Orleans is sincerely much like a new third world country. villlages of tents, villages of FEMA trailers. and traffic worse than ever before as people from all over the world are here to make money on our misfortune as all government help has long since left. Thanks to the volunteers that have remained.
unfortunately many are here to completey screw over the locals.the worst construction jobs i've ever seen in my life left half or less finished and half-assed at that...over and over. my friends and i like to do things ourselves...anyway sorry for the rant there. please note that i live literally day by day on money in hand but listening to music portably does greatly improve my life...that's why i am willing to spend a substantial amount on a portable headphone amplifier...but of course the less expensive that meets what i've mentioned would be nice...any spare amps to donate? i feel a bit foolish in asking but i asked. that would be very kind and appreciated.
if no-one has any spares to send my way, please let me know where/what/and who to buy from. pretty please..of course preferably w/o a case or from someone that would reduce the price w/o a case and knobs. any assistance would be helpful and best regards to all who read this. sincere best regards to those that offer good advice or offer a little used amp :)

your newbie to HP amps,
^v^

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 8
I've been stuck at my desk studying. I did'nt even know that concert was going off. Wish I could go!

Anyway, post more info on you gear to help with recomendations. What headphone(s) do you own?

BTW, my particular pet peeve is all of the morons who can't secure a load. The interstate is a slalom couse in the morning with all the debris. There are a lot of vultures here to pick over the remains. New Orleans leadership is beyond pathetic, but this is for another forum.

Sam

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Sam,

...i have photos of my studio, my life, etc that i'll post down below. been spending quite a bit of time trying to get my Nakamichi 505 deck sounding good again, repairing my ancient Ensoniq EPS and Korg M1 plus and various effects boxes that i hope only need new or replacement displays. i'm pretty angry at Z-Vex effects for not honoring thier life time warranty for me....oh well.
as far as headphones i own, Stax Lambda Pros, which i run from that now famous little amp available at Target for $26. the hype about that amp is more than true it really does sound amazing and i can actually make the Stax portable with a backpack..but it's so heavy it's not very fun to take out. also a pair of Jenklin Float 2s which recieved mixed reviews but i really like, a little brittle but easily remedied with a treble tweak, they look like a helmet from Blade Runner more than headphones.... a co-worker suggested i look like a mad scientist when i wear them. definitely not good headphones to wear in public as they draw attention. also, my now 14 year old AKG K-240dfs that seems to get better with age but require a good bit power. i finally got back on my feet enough to buy myself my first treat after the storm...i bought a pair of Grado 325i headphones for a great price, i'm not sure what to make of them yet, they do sound excellent but i guess i was expecting more after reading so much from those in the Grado cult, still though, they do need breaking in and do well to round out my collection. they fall off of my head very easily though, and yes i've bent the hell out of them. so basically an amp to power from 240dfs and Grados would be nice.
i cross the causeway to work (to those that don't know it's the world's largest bridge). last evening it took me 2 hours 45 minutes to get home to Covington. well over a quarter tank to go just 33 miles. that drive used to take me 35 minutes. the building i work in is luckily right at the foot of the south end. debris on the causeway is a daily thing. also, a truly weird thing... the out of town people literally slam on thier brakes at every hump(rises so that boats can travel under the bridge). do they think there is nothing on the other side? i have a great photo i took from the roof of my building at 6 p.m. showing every single hump ablaze with brakelights with the rest of the bridge dark. i have truly loved New Orleans my entire life but am seriously considering leaving because i have to say i don't like it here anymore and don't have the patience to wait for things to improve if they ever will. but as you said...that's for another forum.
best regards,
^v^

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/earthw...evil/my_photos

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 8
http://img3.head-fi.org/forums/image...s/confused.gif
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bird
the hype about that amp is more than true it really does sound amazing and i can actually make the Stax portable with a backpack..but it's so heavy it's not very fun to take out. also a pair of Jenklin Float 2s which recieved mixed reviews but i really like, a little brittle but easily remedied with a treble tweak, they look like a helmet from Blade Runner more than headphones.... a co-worker suggested i look like a mad scientist when i wear them.

So, we're all pretty conversational here. While typos, misspellings, and run on sentences are par for the course, your post is nearly unreadable. Make the above look like the following and you will get more responses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bird
The hype about that amp is more than true. It really does sound amazing and I can actually make the Stax portable with a backpack. But, it's so heavy it's not very fun to take out. I also own a pair of Jenklin Float 2s which recieved mixed reviews but which i really like. They are a little brittle but this is easily remedied with a treble tweak. They also look like a helmet from Blade Runner more than headphones. A co-worker suggested I look like a mad scientist when i wear them.

Also, after every few sentences, add a new paragraph. Even if you aren't really done with the current paragraph, it is easier to look at. I tried to read your posts when you initially posted and again today, and my eyes just started hurting.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 8
rolleyes.gif

K, maybe I skimmed over. It is a little difficult to read.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 8
Hello DSavitsk,
thank you for the grammar suggestions. although your post did nothing to help answer my questions or help at all. i am now imagining you taking the time to type your post...quotes and everything! why did you do that? i used to be much like you many years ago. i do hope your post helped continue the pseudo superiority you feel over others. i would like to share a little story about how my life changed when i made a point to to stop speaking with near perfect engrish :p.

your criticisms reminded me so much of why i quit Mensa and opened up enough to not feel superior to others. i'll keep it short and try to use random paragraphs per your suggestion. the first time i took the Mensa IQ test my score was the third best ever recorded in Louisiana. the other two above me have taken the test many times. a wonderful thing about the internet is that it's easy to bull**** but nearly impossible to get away with a lie....if you do a simple google search you'll see a correlation to my username and my claims.

anyway, here is little story of how my life changed forever in a moment. i hope you get more than a grammar lesson out of it :)
i was given the opportunity to have a free trip to Minneapolis, Minnesota. all expenses paid to attend the yearly Mensa convention. i borrowed my father's video camera to take with me.

i had great hopes to finally meet people like myself. well it was the most full of **** gathering i have ever seen. No one actually had conversations or as i prefer "conversated" :) it was all about showing off one's intellect. i felt very uncomfortable. meanwhile on the first floor of the hotel there were people wearing some of the most amazing costumes i have ever seen and were laughing and seemed to be very happy..in my video i panned a panorama of the Mensa people and then down to the people having fun. the Mensa crowd looked so full of **** in comparison. i went downstairs and was told it was an MST3000 convention. i wasn't registered but was allowed in anyway. i had so much fun and when i learned what MST3000 was i became a fan of the show. i also had one of the best evenings of my life.

IQ only measures speed of calculation and in most cases common learning. to me intelligence is awareness. Einstein was not exactly a quick thinker. there is so much to be learned by opening up.
nit-picking about grammar and sentence structure lets me know that you haven't learned this and that you will never enjoy music as much as i do.
i am a musician and the music flows right out of me. no thought, only as close to bliss as i have felt. when other people make music in this manner i can get completely lost....and the better the sound quality the more powerful the feelings that i will not use words to describe.

you remind me of those Mensa people that can walk into a room and snootily ruin the fun had.....merely because you consciously force yourself to be a level above. why on earth did you step into my post to critique it?

well in truth it's because you are a fake intellectual wanna be level above jerk. as you suggested grammar to me; i suggest you be more open....i have learned that the more i let go the happier i get and can learn so much from people i once behaved snobbishly too. if you are a true audiophile the more you let go and the more open you are the more enjoyment you will get from music.

in closing, on message boards i just type and care not at all of the rules of grammar...just type and i do not care the slightest if people like you poke at it. it took me 6 minutes to write this and your dig i know took much longer. You’re the only complainer.

back on subject!!! please anyone help me find or donate or direct me to a quality audiophile portable headphone amp. yes please :)

Sincere Best Regards,
^v^

p.s. i really need to transfer the video to .wmv it's pretty funny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back