My First High-End IEM: Sennheiser IE7 & why i gave in to IEMs finally
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
here it comes...here it comes....coming....coming................

coming day after tomorrow.
tongue.gif

wow this seems like one of those longer 2 days. ...

once i get them i ll definitely add Pics for oogling and post some impressions of them with HD600 as my reference.

i did audition them....because i was very cynical about IEMs.

after auditioning them with IE8..i found at the price they are..they do have some advantages ...so i made the purchase decision considering performance-to-price factor, sound quality etc.

Main reason for purchasing an IEM after soo long?

main reason for getting an IEM was my lifestyle....which has changed recently..its become more Dynamic u can say...
biggrin.gif

before i had become a caveman..always indoors..now i find myself being outdoors..and this is when i start missing my HD600....i wanted a detailed IEM, not very analytical yet neutral enuff to keep my cravings away...also somewhat punchy so keep me pumped up.

So why a Dynamic IEM?

i tried non-dynamic IEMs also like the SF5 Pro, SF5 V2, UM2, Westone 3.....ya they sure all are awesome in their own way...but they all lacked one thing...i.e the impact of Dynamic headphones....also, they lacked the Soundstage!!!....without soundstage....listening to music for me is like receiving food via IV or vitamin Tablets.....u get the thing..but not in an enjoyable manner.

so coming back to my year long await n research...

the IE7..
their bass is more natural than of some IEMs i tried ..but yet it has the punch [size=xx-small](i dont like variable bass on either amps or headphones..coz it doesnt let me rest due to my tendency to keep fiddling with settings)[/size]...and they isolate slightly better but at the cost of larger than life soundstage of IE8 of course.

...IE8 though even with lowest bass setting..had overpowering bass for my taste..which i dont savour anymore.

now i dont remember more..because it was a brief audition.

Previous IEM experience?
this will be my first real IEM after having heard free Sony ericsson IEMs for years..and giving up on IEMs. ...another reason why i had been supporting Earbuds. ..

Whats with the Sennheiser?

seems like i am a slave for Sennheiser now..cant seem to find anything more suitable for me than their products..they just serve my needs best.

-----------
btw guys..i have no shame in admitting..i really dont know the art of wearing IEMs..so once i get them..i ll need some help from u.

so who else on Head-fi owns IE7???

what kind of music suits them best?..maybe i shud already make a playlist on my iPod
biggrin.gif

aah..i am gonna have one sleepless night.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 7
After how much burn in do u think i ll start feeling a change?

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what kind of music suits them best?..maybe i shud already make a playlist on my iPod
biggrin.gif

True audiophile statement... When someone is listening more to the headphones (or other gear), than the music by itself.

Sorry for offtop.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 7
i think days 2 and 3 i felt there had been the most change but really it took about a week of leaving them playing whenever i wasnt listening to them before they more or less stopped changing. oh and arround days 3 and 4 they became quite sibilant but then over the next few days they mellowed right out.

as for what music suits like i said i think they do everything really very well but my personal reference album is beverly cravens love scenes. prob not your sort of music but a few of the songs on it have a huge range of highs and smooth very deep lows that most earphones just cant really get right (particularly tracks Hope, In Those Days and Lost Without You)

other artist i find usefull for teasting earphones are KT tunstal, scatters tambourines in the back ground alot on her bouncier stuff and once you know its there you can hear on the sharper ones but on others it gets lots in the back ground. for more pop's fast stuff i tend to go with sophie ellis bextor nice vocally bass kicks and plenty of highs. Jason mraz for checking male voices. Dashboard confessional for some guitars making sure the earphones can clearly sound out each note, a couple of kate nash songs. the beautiful south for checking how it deals with a ton of bass (your father and I.) vanilla ninja for the closest im ever going to get to rock.

but really you should be listening to your favourite stuff, things you know so u can listen for things you know are there and to see if you can hear something in it you have never heard before. i think the first couple of days with them should be on making sure your getting the best fit with them you can, personally i found the fit a bit of a bugger with the IE7 very shallow, which is something im just not used to at all. am used to shoving them in much deeper. so remember to play around with the tips

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 7
seems like mine is arriving today evening itself.

btw i noticed the cables are too flexible...can they be changed?

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 7
you dont like flexable cables?

erm well sennheiser dont say they are detachable but to me me there look like its not impossible. i rather like the cable though they are super flexible and super light, like disturbingly light but given how shallow they go in i think thats a good thing or they would be falling out all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back