My First Headphones - PortaPro Or PX100-II ?
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Danieldanik

Head-Fier
* This is my first headphones I buy for music

Koss PortaPro / Sennheiser PX100-II

Which headphones should I choose? For home use only

I listen to pop, rock and rap

Which of the 2 I mentioned is the best headphones?

Please comment only on this 2, no other headphones

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO I think that the PortaPro's are a great combination of sound, design (in my taste), and durability (lifetime warranty).  You can also do easy mods with them to enhance the sound which enhances the sound.  This including the quarter mod to the ear pads, Sennheiser HD414 earpad mod, Kramer mod, 75 ohm resistor mod, and the recable mod.  All of which improve the sound greatly.  Great pair of headphones for casual listening.  I haven't tried the PX100-II myself, so I can't comment on those.  In the end it's up to you and your personal taste.  For me the PortaPro's were great, but it may be different for you.  Hope you make the best decision.  Also one other thing, it may be good to scan the FS/FT forums to see if you can find the pair of headphones you are looking for a better price.  I think that you can still used the Koss lifetime warranty even if you buy the headphones used.  You just need to register them and send them in for repair.  I may be wrong about that.  Shoots then...

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Really what is with the bumping and posting a second thread that is the same?

Should have used the HELP forum instead like the banner on top says to do.

Search is your friend. Tons of stuff about these old headphones that you can read and make your choice w/o needing a new thread. Amazon has plenty of reviews on both as well even a few comparing both.

The main thing is that they are close. You could just buy either and be fine. This should not be such a laborious choice. Read the tons of info using the search, pick one, and buy.

I liked the Koss sound a little better but who cares. There are close to a 50/50 split, FWIR, when people have had or heard both. Some like the Koss more some like the Senn more. You are just gonna have to try one or decide on other factors like warranty or price.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 12
  * This is my first headphones I buy for music

Koss PortaPro / Sennheiser PX100-II

Which headphones should I choose? For home use only

I listen to pop, rock and rap

Which of the 2 I mentioned is the best headphones?

Please comment only on this 2, no other headphones

I have both, and use the HD414 pads on the Senns, excellent comfort and sound (I quarter modded them, which means I cut a small hole in the middle of the pad). I also like the porta pros, but if you have the iPhone 5, then the Senns have that options (getting the version with the mic/controls).

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 12
I have both, and use the HD414 pads on the Senns, excellent comfort and sound (I quarter modded them, which means I cut a small hole in the middle of the pad). I also like the porta pros, but if you have the iPhone 5, then the Senns have that options (getting the version with the mic/controls).

If i need the headphones for fully for music
Which should i choose?

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 12
I think both are good. I also own both but seldomly listen to the PX100II. I think they are comfortable and they have solid bass especially for a headphone of this type - However, I also think they are quite veiled. If you just listen to them and no other, it's a little harder to tell, but as soon as you put another headphone on you'll notice. They are fairly muffled and warm. OVerall I'd say the PortaPro is more detailed, a tad brighter (Def not bright though) and perhaps have a bit more punch in the bass. Not quite as comfortable though in my opinion. The metal band has a tendency to pull hair.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 12
I think both are good. I also own both but seldomly listen to the PX100II. I think they are comfortable and they have solid bass especially for a headphone of this type - However, I also think they are quite veiled. If you just listen to them and no other, it's a little harder to tell, but as soon as you put another headphone on you'll notice. They are fairly muffled and warm. OVerall I'd say the PortaPro is more detailed, a tad brighter (Def not bright though) and perhaps have a bit more punch in the bass. Not quite as comfortable though in my opinion. The metal band has a tendency to pull hair.

This might be somewhat true (warmish), but a simple quarter mod (cutting a hole in the pad) can open them up, I found that out early. As noted, I use the Senn HD414 pads with the quarter mod and they do not sound veiled in the least bit. Muffled is not a word I would use, not at all. Agree on the Porta Pro band. Again, to me the Senns are more practical because they mesh with the iPhone 5, and I use them for calls all the time.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 12
PX100II.  I have had both and thought the Sennheiser's had the better sound of the two (straight from an iPod Video 5.5...my source at the time).  I never bothered with any mods, though.

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 12
I have plenty of experience with both.

Sound - The PX100 is warmer/darker and a little "smoother". I can see where some might call it muffled, but that is essentially just the Sennheiser sound signature in general, at least for their non-high end stuff. These do quite well with EQing, simple matter of backing off the mid-bass frequencies a touch. The Koss is a little more aggressive or "edgy" across the frequency range: bass has a little more pop, guitars are noticeably crunchier, treble is brighter and more sparkly. I find the PX100 imaging/soundstage a little better, but the Portapro is a little tighter/faster. To me there is no true winner here; it's just a matter of which sound you prefer.

Comfort - The PX100 wins hands down. So light and comfortable I forget I'm wearing them all the time. The Portapro to me is not that comfortable, I don't care for the temple pads clamping down and my hair gets stuck in the sliding metal headband. That headband is also cold, by the way - if you often pull your phones down to rest on your neck while on the move it's obnoxious.

Portability - The Koss are much easier to fold up, but don't fold up into nearly as compact a package. The PX-100 fold up into a very compact space the size of an eyeglasses case, but they are a lot more difficult to fold up. No clear winner here, IMO just depends on your priorities.

Durability - Portapro wins. The single-side cord of the PX100 is nice, but that skinny-minny wire going through the headband is just begging to be pinched into a short circuit, especially if you fold and unfold them a lot. It's the fatal flaw with these. I've had 2 or 3 different Portapros over the years and never had an issue.

You can't really go wrong with either, they have their individual strengths and weaknesses. I find myself listening to the Sennheisers more, because they are just so darn light and comfortable. All things equal, I generally prefer the Koss sound a little bit more, but the comfort factor is a big deal with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back