My First Headphones: Grado HF-2
Sep 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, your bar started high w/ the HF2s. Mine SING w/ my Bottlehead S.E.X and low end Projekt TT.

Just wondering, did you build your Bottlehead S.E.X.? How easy was it? Their website makes it sound simple. I have no DIY experience really except a little bit of soldering I had to do for my computer a while ago.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #17 of 24
Run my HF2s from a DacMagic connected to a LD MK III - couldn't be happier.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 24
Just plugged my HF-2 into my ipod touch directly (using a 1/4 to 1/8 inch converter) and into Mini3 with a LOD. To be honest, I didn't find much of an improvement with the amp. I would say 5-10% better. The biggest thing I found was that the "snap" on a snare rum seemed a bit better and the bass sounded a bit tighter. That being said, when I am on the go, I would probably skip the amp since the improvement doesn't really justify the extra space. That, and "on the go" there is usually background noise that would overpower the difference anyway.

IMO, amping the HF-2, at least with a Mini3, didn't make a huge difference.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikaronni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, I'll probably go for a Pico DAC and maybe a CTH. I know the Pico sounds great and I'm sure that combined with the CTH will be worlds better than my netbook headphone-out right now.

Excellent choice with 6CG7s.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 24
This isn't intended as a shot at the OP, but I've found that product reviews are usually only as good as the reviewers experience level. There's an immediate response that can guide a novice's preference for a particular style of presentation in a headphone, but any commentary beyond that is suspect, IMO.

I think there are some good suggestions about how to increase the quality of presentation of the HF-2 in this thread, without going crazy with $$.

I'm probably on the side of those who suggest source is more important than amp, but there are good arguments to be made on both sides of the equation.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 24
Congrats on your HF2s, and learning what you like from attending a meet. Not everyone can get to one, but hearing for yourself is really the best way.

I'm enjoying my HF2s with a pico. I really haven't had the chance yet to try them out with different amps yet, but the pico serves a purpose (with laptop) right now quite well.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 24
Congratulations!
smile.gif

Grado is regarded as being really nice starter 'phones, and for some they even are the end-of-all 'phones. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back